Texas Fishing Forum

Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats

Posted By: Brad R

Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:16 PM

I saw this down in the kayak forum, that Wheeler Branch has decided to eliminate bass boats from using the lake. Zebra Mussels.

Few boats use Wheeler Branch anyway, but this might save someone a trip down there.

Brad

See here:

Wheeler Branch closes to bass boats
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:19 PM

LAME!!!!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:20 PM

Their lake, so they can do what they want, but as someone that fishes it a few times a year this sucks.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:22 PM

Zebra muscles?!! Gimme a break. They draw water in from the paluxy,so there is a source. They allow kayaks, there's another source. I've never seen a single kayaker wipe down their rig after use.Dont forget birds are a huge source. With all the flooding we've had its not going to help. Stopping bass boats from going because of zebra muscles is just an excuse to keep big boats off it. It doesn't surprise me. I've seen guys starting their big motors and the lady at the front yells at them then waits at the boat ramp. I bet it's more of people not respecting the rules rather than zebra muscles. They going to just close all lakes now?
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:25 PM

ha...what ever excuse they can sell...so will they reopen it when they find zebra mussels in there ?
Posted By: buton

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:26 PM

now they will charge kayaks 20 dollars to launch?
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:29 PM

Kind of makes you hope a big old pelican drops a load of zebra mussels in it.

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:30 PM

"The District has distributed fliers to fisherman, posted signs at
the boat ramp and park gate, spot checked boats and verbally informed boaters of the
existing laws requiring all boats entering the reservoir to be clean and dry prior to
entering the park. Despite all the District’s and local law enforcement officials efforts to
enforce the laws regarding transporting water from one lake to another, recent boat
surveys have found that over one third of all boats with bilges and live wells continue to
attempt to bring outside water into the Wheeler Branch Reservoir within their bilges or
live wells. It will only take one boat from one of the seven infested reservoirs in Texas to
infest Wheeler Branch Reservoir with zebra mussels."

Been out there at least 25 times and have never seen them inspect or "survey" anyone's boat.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Ban-D
Zebra muscles?!! Gimme a break. They draw water in from the paluxy,so there is a source. They allow kayaks, there's another source. I've never seen a single kayaker wipe down their rig after use.Dont forget birds are a huge source. With all the flooding we've had its not going to help. Stopping bass boats from going because of zebra muscles is just an excuse to keep big boats off it. It doesn't surprise me. I've seen guys starting their big motors and the lady at the front yells at them then waits at the boat ramp. I bet it's more of people not respecting the rules rather than zebra muscles. They going to just close all lakes now?

You must not know many kayak anglers....Plus kayaks don't hold large amounts of water like boats. They don't have a bilge pump that sends different lake water into the current lake.

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Brazos Bass Cat
the boat ramp and park gate, spot checked boats and verbally informed boaters of the
existing laws requiring all boats entering the reservoir to be clean and dry prior to
entering the park. Despite all the District’s and local law enforcement officials efforts to
enforce the laws regarding transporting water from one lake to another, recent boat
surveys have found that over one third of all boats with bilges and live wells continue to
attempt to bring outside water into the Wheeler Branch Reservoir within their bilges or
live wells. It will only take one boat from one of the seven infested reservoirs in Texas to

Been out there at least 25 times and have never seen them inspect or "survey" anyone's boat.

So that means it never happened?
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:32 PM

Close down Lake Fork while they are at it....Talk about a riot !

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Longeye
Close down Lake Fork while they are at it....Talk about a riot !

They could use the excuse of "giving the lake a break." Might do it some good!

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W

you must be on the kayak committee who pushed this through lol.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:42 PM

They gonna put a net over the lake to keep the birds out.

That excuse they are giving is laughable at best
Posted By: buda13

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:45 PM

Lets give Wheeler to the Kayaks, and in trade take out the stupid no wake buoys going up the river at Worth that they battled to have put in place. bolt

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:50 PM

you must be on the kayak committee who pushed this through lol.

Never been to Wheeler lol. But I have heard good things about it.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 04:55 PM

I dont know a lot about this lake. But I do know that it is a law that plugs be pulled, livewells drained and prop housing be drained before leaving a lake. I very seldom see this done. I know lots of guys that never pull the plug on their boats. Even if your boat doesnt leak it gets some water in the bilge. It is the law folks do it.
Bass fisherman, which I am one, are the biggest complainers about others breaking rules or laws but think it is OK to ignore one they think is dumb.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094
I dont know a lot about this lake. But I do know that it is a law that plugs be pulled, livewells drained and prop housing be drained before leaving a lake. I very seldom see this done. I know lots of guys that never pull the plug on their boats. Even if your boat doesnt leak it gets some water in the bilge. It is the law folks do it.
Bass fisherman, which I am one, are the biggest complainers about others breaking rules or laws but think it is OK to ignore one they think is dumb.

In Texas TPWD has tried to brain wash people that draining your boat is vital to stop the spread of zebra mussels, all the while lakes are overflowing and water rushing downstream into other lakes.
Posted By: stetson

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 05:55 PM

This is [censored] fished this lake since they opened, they lost one of their best customers

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 06:36 PM

You must not know many kayak anglers....Plus kayaks don't hold large amounts of water like boats. They don't have a bilge pump that sends different lake water into the current lake.

I know a lot of kayak fisherman, and I've also witnessed guys kayak fishing loading up and leaving no wipe down. They stick to the hulls do you not understand that? Birds don't have live well tanks on their legs and still transport zebra muscles.

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: stetson
This is [censored] fished this lake since they opened, they lost one of their best customers
you should have gotten grandfatherd in haha.ndont you hold both small and largemouth record out there?
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 06:39 PM

But can the muscle survive without being in standing water for very long?

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 06:43 PM

I know a lot of kayak fisherman, and I've also witnessed guys kayak fishing loading up and leaving no wipe down. They stick to the hulls do you not understand that? Birds don't have live well tanks on their legs and still transport zebra muscles.

I am surprised to hear they don't wash their kayaks after outings. The grim that gets on them is pretty gnarly.

Their ruling probably comes down to eliminating the boats as they are more common. I am not saying it's fair at all. Heck, I just had a friend on here offer to take me to fish Wheeler in a boat! He has been going there for years and wanted to show me to a good day of fishing! No doubt this will hurt their business though. Not everyone is going to go bank fish or buy a kayak. I imagine it will open back up to boats and they will make a big deal about it to generate revenue and hype.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 07:18 PM

Looks like I need to break out the Yaks this summer and give this place a try.

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
Looks like I need to break out the Yaks this summer and give this place a try.

Well it looks like they are also closing it to kayaks that have a "raised" floor. So pretty much are only allowing john boats and canoes/canoe style kayaks.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 07:51 PM

So does this include Jon boats with live wells ?

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/13/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
So does this include Jon boats with live wells ?

I think it might yes. Might want to call for clarification though.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 06/14/16 02:50 AM

Once there is a significant drop in $$ , we will see how concerned they are about zebra muscles .
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 09/16/16 02:04 PM

huh Glad I just saw this, was about to head down there next week... this sucks.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 09/16/16 02:38 PM

Even if your boat doesnt leak it gets some water in the bilge.

hmmm Sorry dude, but my boat does not leak nor does it get water in the bilge unless it rains or I drain the built in ice chest. Do you get rain in your house even if your roof don't leak? roflmao
Posted By: 9094

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 09/16/16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: elkhunter7x6
Even if your boat doesnt leak it gets some water in the bilge.

hmmm Sorry dude, but my boat does not leak nor does it get water in the bilge unless it rains or I drain the built in ice chest. Do you get rain in your house even if your roof don't leak? roflmao

I call BS. I will bet I have owned as many new boats as anyone on here and never has there been a case where 100% of the time there was zero water from a lake in the bilge or left over in livewell lines.
It simply is not possible. You are saying you never fish in rough water, never have splash, never have back wash. Your boat doesnt have to leak to have water in it.
Do you ever pull your plug after driving home or at the ramp?
Yours is a normal smart azz answer that someone always comes up with on a thread here.

Posted By: SC-001

Re: Wheeler Branch closing to bass boats - 09/16/16 04:20 PM

Yep backwash will get water in the bilge 90% of the time, some hulls transom designs are very good about deflecting the wake when you shut down, others not so much...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum