Texas Fishing Forum

How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain?

Posted By: Guide Richie White

How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 07:08 PM

How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain - and then change their mind?
Is is just my opinion - or does 100% chance mean there's no way it can't happen?

I looked at the forecast for Wednesday and it said 100% chance of rain on Wednesday. It now says 90%.
My guess is that they will lower it by Tuesday. They usually do.

How do they have credibility when they can claim 100% and then change their mind?
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 07:26 PM

The percentages are based on regional coverage. Data that had indicated 100% coverage of the region can change just prior to arrival and then it's anyone's guess... hammer
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 07:32 PM

I think the main thing is that they were predicting 100% based on the current conditions. When conditions and weather patterns change they adjust.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors
The percentages are based on regional coverage. Data that had indicated 100% coverage of the region can change just prior to arrival and then it's anyone's guess... hammer

Yes. The percent isn't actually chance of rain, it's percent of forecast area coverage for the forecast period.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 08:09 PM

If it rains "somewhere" in their viewing area, they win.

That's a heck of a job. I wish I had it that easy.
Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 08:21 PM

Are we seriously discussing the credibility of weather men? Lol

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 08:32 PM

My weather.com app on my Iphone now says "Chance of rain 80%". I don't know how that could be interpreted to mean a percentage of an area.

It was 100% earlier today. Now it is 80%. Funny how they lose their confidence over time.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy_Lawson
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Think about this a bunch of Bass fisherman discussing the credibility of anyone else. They have are hard time getting the weigh of their fish correct that they have in their hands and they are talking about a weatherman guessing about a weather forecast.

LOL HA LOL
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 09:57 PM

Changing meteorological condition are the reason for rain chance percentages change, predictions are made days in advance
using the most recent available data. We perceive their predictions as WRONG. Many times I prefish using their wind direction data, which on tournament day blows 180 out. I take all weather predictions with a grain, a LARGE grain of salt.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 10:27 PM

The idiots had a 20% here, well the town next to me had almost 10" of rain last night. All kinds of flooding on rivers where there was no rain predicted.
Posted By: BarryH

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 10:59 PM

Consistent, though!

- 10 days out: 100% chance of 10" of rain
- 5 days out: 50% chance of 5" of rain
- 1 day out: 10% chance of 1" of rain
- Today: 5% chance of .15" of rain

Lather. Rinse. Repeat...

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 11:03 PM

You guys don't understand the difficulty in forecasting weather. We understand weather about as well as we understand the human brain. Great on some levels, virtually not at all on others. It's impossible to predict the weather with much more accuracy than we have now until major advances are made in understanding short term weather patterns and behavior. It's not simple by any stretch of the imagination.

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 11:04 PM

Imagine living 100 years ago when you didn't know what the weather was going to do in 15 minutes. And at a time when exposure to the weather could very easily kill you. I'd say we have it pretty damn good with our 10 day forecasts and tornado sirens.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 11:06 PM

No one is predicting anything anymore. The "weatherman" doesn't have much input if any. Forecasts are based on computer models that analyze weather patterns and simulate what's happening next. They aren't perfect. Sometimes the weather takes an unexpected turn
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/29/16 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Guide Richie White
My weather.com app on my Iphone now says "Chance of rain 80%". I don't know how that could be interpreted to mean a percentage of an area.

It was 100% earlier today. Now it is 80%. Funny how they lose their confidence over time.

It actually does mean coverage not actual chance of rain.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: BarryH
Consistent, though!

- 10 days out: 100% chance of 10" of rain
- 5 days out: 50% chance of 5" of rain
- 1 day out: 10% chance of 1" of rain
- Today: 5% chance of .15" of rain

Lather. Rinse. Repeat...
it's based on coverage of the broadcast area. Not meaning that you are the only person getting 100% of rain the next ten days.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78

It actually does mean coverage not actual chance of rain.
someone gets it.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: RJF1423
I think the main thing is that they were predicting 100% based on the current conditions. When conditions and weather patterns change they adjust.

If conditions can change and lower the probability then it wasn't really 100% in the first place. If it
Posted By: reelswift

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 11:16 AM

meteorology is a complicated science involving sophisticated instruments, precise measurements, radar evaluations and fierce predictions.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 11:19 AM

They have really been confused with the weather the last few days. Yesterday was maybe a 20% chance late in the afternoon and it rained hard in the morning and in the afternoon. Wind forecasts are something they have yet to figure out good.
Posted By: Cast

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 11:20 AM

Ouija Board.
Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 02:24 PM

For a 24 hour forecast, a 50% rain chance for the coverage area means at any given point within the forecast coverage area has a 50/50 chance of having measurable rain precipitation....

A 50% chance of rain at 9PM on an hourly forecast definition varies between providers. Most aps and weather services uses the definition here meaning that there is a 50% chance of measurable rain occurring on a given point in the forecast coverage area within +/- 3 hours of 9PM.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 02:47 PM

Like a drunk person throwing darts...I predict bullseye...darn...missed...I meant the wall frkazoid
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 03:26 PM

Maybe Harold Taft had computer models or maybe he was just that good. If the computers are doing it why have meteorologists? Get some pretty girl to read what the computer is spitting out. They are no longer any good at their guesses.
Posted By: trippbo

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TXBeerHunter
If the computers are doing it why have meteorologists?

Actually there are dozens of programs and "models" used to formulate a consensus forecast. The experienced weatherman will be able to discern which models provide the most accurate results under various circumstances.
Posted By: papamark

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/30/16 10:02 PM

Sure do miss Harold Taft

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 12:25 PM

I give the weathermen a lot of credit. They are very good at predicting days that have a good chance of precipitation.
What I HATE is the fact that they claim 100% and then change their mind. I have so many cancellations because they predict 100% several days ahead of time. They give the illusion that it will be miserable. But the truth is, 100% several days out means it should be a good fishing day. It's a lose lose for a fishing guide. Because the guys who live by the weather app look for the lowest precipitation days. Those end up being the days that I burn up 15 gallons of gas running all over the lake working my butt off and not catching much.

BTW, they changed the forecast for Wednesday from 100% on Sunday to 50% today.
Posted By: pwarren

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 04:05 PM

I'd rather them say it's going to rain and it not, than say it's not going to rain and it does.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 05:13 PM

Getting the weather wrong is one thing-getting the wind forecast wrong is like a rite of passage for weathermen. I've been out on lakes when winds were supposed to be 5-10 and they were 20-30. And I've stayed home on days when its supposed to be windy and theres no wind at all.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 05:47 PM

There's an 85% chance that 90% of the people will be disappointed with the forecast.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 05:52 PM

When they say 100% it means the total area will get rain. 50% chance of rain means only 50% of the area will get it. They can't do a forecast for your yard or it would say 0% chance or % 100% chance but never anything beside that. The forecast covers several thousand square miles, and if you look at the accuracy of the forecast over that wide area, they are pretty accurate.
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: kirbydog
Getting the weather wrong is one thing-getting the wind forecast wrong is like a rite of passage for weathermen. I've been out on lakes when winds were supposed to be 5-10 and they were 20-30. And I've stayed home on days when its supposed to be windy and theres no wind at all.

I have heard, add and then double. 5-10 forecast is 15 and double is 30.

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Mudshark
When they say 100% it means the total area will get rain. 50% chance of rain means only 50% of the area will get it. They can't do a forecast for your yard or it would say 0% chance or % 100% chance but never anything beside that. The forecast covers several thousand square miles, and if you look at the accuracy of the forecast over that wide area, they are pretty accurate.

My app has a place for text. It says "chance of rain 100%". If they mean 100% of the area, they could say "100% of the area". But what does that really mean if that is the case?
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 07:51 PM

My app has a place for text. It says "chance of rain 100%". If they mean 100% of the area, they could say "100% of the area". But what does that really mean if that is the case?

Next time when you listen to the weatherman on the news, listen for the word coverage. They say that word many times rather than saying percent chance of rain. It changes the meaning of the forecast when you hear it that way.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 09:27 PM

Next time when you listen to the weatherman on the news, listen for the word coverage. They say that word many times rather than saying percent chance of rain. It changes the meaning of the forecast when you hear it that way.

How is 100% coverage of rain different than a 100% chance of rain? If they say everyone and every place in the area will get rain...that is the same thing as saying there is a 100% chance of rain at any given place.

A 100% chance of anything means there is no possibility whatsoever that it won't happen. If there are factors that can change and lower the probability, it was never really 100% to begin with.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 05/31/16 11:09 PM

There's a 100% chance it's flat pouring outside right now and has been for a while... grin
Posted By: adam_p

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 06/01/16 12:08 AM

I'd like to say this will clear it up, but since you haven't gotten by now it will probably just confuse you more. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=pop
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 06/03/16 05:12 PM

Raining at the time?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 06/03/16 11:23 PM

They are wrong 80% of the time but still get paid 100% of the time.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain? - 06/03/16 11:41 PM

How can weathermen predict 100% chance of rain - and then change their mind?
Is is just my opinion - or does 100% chance mean there's no way it can't happen?

I looked at the forecast for Wednesday and it said 100% chance of rain on Wednesday. It now says 90%.
My guess is that they will lower it by Tuesday. They usually do.

How do they have credibility when they can claim 100% and then change their mind?

The same way they predict 0% chance of rain. They use all the modern gizmos and gadgets they have to make a prediction. They are never 100% right either way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum