Texas Fishing Forum

What OLD lures do you still use.

Posted By: Texascajun69

What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 09:24 PM

My favorite is the Black and Silver devil horse.
Posted By: rsmith

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 09:31 PM

wee r
Posted By: starclan

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 09:58 PM

Cotton Cordell Hot Spot
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 10:04 PM

The old Beetle spin still catches LOTS of fish, so does a Jitterbug. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 10:07 PM

Bass Buster Scorpion spinnerbait
Posted By: bronco71

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 10:16 PM

Seriously considering pulling my old soft POP TOP off my PB mount, 6.7 lbs not big by todays standards but it was caught 40 years ago..... and that lure always caught fish.....
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 10:30 PM

Hula Popper, Hawaiian Wiggler, Sonic, Jitter Bug, No No spinner bait
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 11:38 PM

Bomber 9A
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 11:43 PM

1968 jitter bug grin
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 11:52 PM

water gator
Posted By: trippbo

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/27/16 11:53 PM

river runt (and jitterbug of course)
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 12:20 AM

Fleck Weed Wader spinnerbait.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 12:24 AM

I still love throwing a hula popper at night. I just went thru all mine and upgraded hardware and hooks, they feel like they can haul in any fish now.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 12:31 AM

Center tie spooks in the shore patterns and the baby hellbenders still get worked out by me.
Posted By: Dr. Crank

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 12:34 AM

Chugger and herbs dilly gets a work out on this old timers rods
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 12:59 AM

Strike King Pop N Grass Frog
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 01:02 AM

Devils Horse, Hair Jigs, Bettle Spin, Road Runner and many others and different times of the year
Posted By: ChickenRancher

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 01:39 AM

I still have and occasionally use about a dozen of the original Big O's. I try not to abuse them by catching fish on them and so far I have been pretty successful at that!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 02:16 AM

Been throwing the same spinner bait for 50 years; of course I build it.
- Same spook for 36 years. Just build a new one when I need one.
- Same jig for 36 years.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 03:17 AM

I'll occasionally throw a Bomber Long A jerk bait from the early 1980's. I also have, but don't use, a Creek Chub Darter that I used to catch river bass with at Camp Pioneer (Boy Scout camp) near Mena, Arkansas in the 1960's.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 03:25 AM

blue fleck Power Worm
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 03:33 AM

Air Claws and Air Fry. I believe the company is called riverside. Ran out years ago and run across some at a flea market about 5 Years ago. The guy had the claws and the fry's (about 50 bags) and I bought all for $50. Use em on c-rig from time to time.
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 03:34 AM

Mudbugs.. Still looking for more. Also carry a few Big O's
Posted By: fishinlance

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 03:43 AM

I want that 1968 jitter bug just kidding is that one made out of wood?
Posted By: davisxx

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 12:21 PM

Uncle Ed's straight tail lizards
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 01:02 PM

Honey Hole Fliptail floating lizard.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 01:44 PM

Jawtec Wacky Craws

i have 2 bags left
Posted By: H B

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 02:18 PM

Jitterbug, Red Fin, nip I diddee
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 04:20 PM

When the bluegill spawn is on, I still use a Smithwick Devils Horse.
Posted By: Texas Husker

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 04:26 PM

Found 2 sacks of worms in the back of my closet that I bought around 1980. Still in great shape and have caught a couple of fish on them. Back then they were known as "chicken foot" worms because of the 2 floppy "legs" . These were 2 of the popular colors back then and they were blue fleck and the other is motor oil/orange tail.

Guess it you keep worms in a protected environment, they'll last forever.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 06:13 PM

2 things I need to get refinished, I just can't decide what patterns to put on them. I was thinking about a chrome and blk back on the Devils horse and still undecided on the big o
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 07:12 PM

1980'ish Bagley's Small Fry's...Wiggle-Warts...Producto Paddletail worms, Mann's Augertail worms...still have a few bags of original Slug-O's that I break out now and again, but like my other old plastics they are getting to be almost extinced...the old stuff still works well !
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 08:36 PM

Bagley Rat Fink, Bomber Pinfish, and of course Scoundrels.
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 09:41 PM

Do you fish that Rat Fink on 65+ lb. braid...lol? That would be a costly loss if one broke your line! I fished them back in the 80's, but they didn't catch as many fish for me as the Crazy Shad or Devil's Horse. And I still fish both of them today. Another oldie I fish is the old Wobble Heads with the Creme Scoundrel worm on it. Not sure if anyone is still making the Wobble Heads or not. I looked at the guy on here that was selling "Wobble Heads" but saw that they are not the originals. I think at times they were made by Cordell, Arbogast, and Wobble Head in Monroe, LA. I THINK!
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
blue fleck Power Worm

What is the blue fleck power worm you speak of noidea
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Husker
Found 2 sacks of worms in the back of my closet that I bought around 1980. Still in great shape and have caught a couple of fish on them. Back then they were known as "chicken foot" worms because of the 2 floppy "legs" . These were 2 of the popular colors back then and they were blue fleck and the other is motor oil/orange tail.

Guess it you keep worms in a protected environment, they'll last forever.

You can send those "chicken feet" to me please, they don't work at all...
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/28/16 11:22 PM

forgot about the Norman Little Scooper, still a killer Fall lure for me.
Posted By: machinist

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/29/16 12:11 AM

Rebel Super R and pre Rapala Wiggle Warts
Posted By: Texas Husker

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/29/16 04:17 PM

Also should have mentioned the old Boy Howdie triple hook top water jerk bait. Used to be a killer at big Sam.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/29/16 07:32 PM

I still use the Brown Parrot Mudbug I have an original Fred Young Big O but don't use it anymore had another and decided to use it when a bass hit if about all that was left was wire and hooks the balsa wood was so old it just crumbled.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/29/16 09:40 PM

Arbogast Jitterbug, Musky Jitterbug, Mudbug, and Hula Popper; Pico's Pico Perch, Pico Pop; Bomber Pinfish, Model A, Waterdog, Bomber, and a floating twitch bait that floats vertically; Herb's Dilly; Bass Buster Scorpion and Tarantula; Mister Twister spinnerbaits, buzz baits, and plastics; Tom's Minners; Shannon Twin Spinner; Al Foss Shimmy Wiggler; Bass Pro Tornado spinnerbait; Heddon Zara Spook and Wounded Spook; Rebel Super-R, Deep Wee-R; Bagley Balsa B; Original Floating Rapalas; Smithwick Devil Horse; and several others. I know some of these are valuable antiques, but as long as I continue to catch fish on them, I'll continue to sharpen the hooks and throw them.

There's one I still throw once in a while that I can't remember the name of. It's a crankbait with a plastic skirt tail and a metal keel that enables it to come over timber, even with its two treble hooks. Anyone know its name?
Posted By: toddfish

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/29/16 10:31 PM

Herb's Dilly (the original ones before Luhr Jensen altered them), also, Riverside Air Lizard and Air Fry (almost out of these)
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/29/16 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: phototex
Arbogast Jitterbug, Musky Jitterbug, Mudbug, and Hula Popper; Pico's Pico Perch, Pico Pop; Bomber Pinfish, Model A, Waterdog, Bomber; Herb's Dilly; Bass Buster Scorpion and Tarantula; Mister Twister spinnerbaits, buzz baits, and plastics; Tom's Minners; Shannon Twin Spinner; Al Foss Shimmy Wiggler; Bass Pro Tornado spinnerbait; Heddon Zara Spook, Chugger, Wounded Spook, and Crazy Crawler; Rebel Super-R, Deep Wee-R; Bagley Balsa B; Original Floating Rapalas; Clark's Water Scout; Rex Spoon; Johnson Spoon; Creek Chub Jointed Pikie Minnow; Shakespeare's Mouse; and several others. I know some of these are valuable antiques, but as long as I continue to catch fish on them, I'll continue to sharpen the hooks and throw them.

You've said it all, except I still use Lucky 13's, hellbenders, and clear near nuthens
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/30/16 12:48 AM

I have a bunch of old plastics that I have had since I was a kid that I still use.
Posted By: RL206

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/30/16 12:55 AM

Toothpick

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/30/16 01:09 AM

Arbogast Jitterbug, Musky Jitterbug, Mudbug, and Hula Popper; Pico's Pico Perch, Pico Pop; Bomber Pinfish, Model A, Waterdog, Bomber; Herb's Dilly; Bass Buster Scorpion and Tarantula; Mister Twister spinnerbaits, buzz baits, and plastics; Tom's Minners; Shannon Twin Spinner; Al Foss Shimmy Wiggler; Bass Pro Tornado spinnerbait; Heddon Zara Spook, Chugger, Wounded Spook, and Crazy Crawler; Rebel Super-R, Deep Wee-R; Bagley Balsa B; Original Floating Rapalas; Rex Spoon; Johnson Spoon; Creek Chub Jointed Pikie Minnow; Shakespeare's Mouse; and several others. I know some of these are valuable antiques, but as long as I continue to catch fish on them, I'll continue to sharpen the hooks and throw them.

There's one I still throw once in a while that I can't remember the name of. It's a crankbait with a plastic skirt tail and a metal keel that enables it to come over timber, even with its two treble hooks. Anyone know its name?

Is it an old Clark's Water Scout or a Strike King Spence Scout?
Posted By: forkduc

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/30/16 05:10 PM

Sluggo's
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/31/16 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Preacher Ed
Arbogast Jitterbug, Musky Jitterbug, Mudbug, and Hula Popper; Pico's Pico Perch, Pico Pop; Bomber Pinfish, Model A, Waterdog, Bomber; Herb's Dilly; Bass Buster Scorpion and Tarantula; Mister Twister spinnerbaits, buzz baits, and plastics; Tom's Minners; Shannon Twin Spinner; Al Foss Shimmy Wiggler; Bass Pro Tornado spinnerbait; Heddon Zara Spook, Chugger, Wounded Spook, and Crazy Crawler; Rebel Super-R, Deep Wee-R; Bagley Balsa B; Original Floating Rapalas; Rex Spoon; Johnson Spoon; Creek Chub Jointed Pikie Minnow; Shakespeare's Mouse; and several others. I know some of these are valuable antiques, but as long as I continue to catch fish on them, I'll continue to sharpen the hooks and throw them.

Is it an old Clark's Water Scout or a Strike King Spence Scout?

That would be my guess, but I could not have come up with the name, Spence Scout.

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/31/16 12:40 AM

Bill Norman Wounded Flash, Mann's Deep Piglet crankbait, Bill Bass Lure, Mad Minnow and the Near Nuthin.
Posted By: Bubba Broadus

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/31/16 12:37 PM

white H&H
Posted By: Cast

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 05/31/16 12:40 PM

I just rebuilt the four old petrified H&H spinners I found in an old box. I'm working on replacing hooks on several old rattle traps that were in there too. I'll use the old stuff first. It's already been blooded.
Posted By: leebayou

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/02/16 09:08 PM

Herb's Dilly
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/02/16 10:26 PM

Zaragossa!!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
blue fleck Power Worm

+1
Posted By: TX Rig

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 01:10 AM

Devels horse dancer
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 02:50 AM

Jig
Posted By: Kevin D.

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 05:25 AM

Another for the Bomber Pinfish. I really wish Bomber still made those.

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin D.
Another for the Bomber Pinfish. I really wish Bomber still made those.

+1 on the Pinfish, they are great for ripping thru the hydrilla grass and just the right wobble.
We bought all we could find when they stopped making them but now only have a few remaining.
Also have not found anything like them from other lure makers.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 02:03 PM

Sluggos.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 02:15 PM

Spence Scout. Sorry.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 03:33 PM

I still have a bag of Plumb Sensations I use every once in a while and a bag of the old Riverside Top Guns.
I still remember the day I got broke off using my dad's last Herbs Dilly on a stock pond I was fishing. He had already passed on and I couldn't get it out of my mind he was probably looking down at me thinking " Will boy, you've done it now!" I had that bait hanging in my garage and only used it about once a year for old times sake.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/03/16 03:37 PM

Westy Worm
Posted By: 97Stratos

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/04/16 03:35 AM

Black jitterbug,White chugger,Lucky 13. All still have that "magic"touch to produce.
Jitterbug action on outside of grass or wood gets serious explosions.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/04/16 11:39 AM

Found a package of Mann's Jelly Worms @ a garage sale. They work great. I found that they were only good for one or two fish though. The plastic was too soft probably due to age.
Posted By: BASSNDOOD

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/04/16 01:46 PM

Sluggos

Big O
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/04/16 04:10 PM

chrome Boy Howdy

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/04/16 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: don the angler
Found a package of Mann's Jelly Worms @ a garage sale. They work great. I found that they were only good for one or two fish though. The plastic was too soft probably due to age.

No, Sir. They WERE soft...lol. Grew up fishing them along with Fliptails. The material used in soft plastics has come a long, long way. But loved the smell of them...lol.
Posted By: Jason1976

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/05/16 12:55 AM

Heddon Torpedo
Posted By: Jon

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/05/16 01:04 AM

Hula Popper.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/05/16 01:15 AM

Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/05/16 04:27 AM

Redfins
Posted By: krazydaddy2

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/05/16 04:32 AM

Purple firetail worm,h&h in white,baby torpedo,buzzbaits and creme worms blk and blue, and purple firetail.
Posted By: superfrog

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/06/16 11:53 PM

I still have and use several Heddon's crazy crawlers. I think it's good to throw something they've never seen before that's a proven fish catcher now and then. This time of year it imitates a baby bird that's fallen into the water.
Posted By: Sillybass

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 02:07 AM

Do you fish that Rat Fink on 65+ lb. braid...lol? That would be a costly loss if one broke your line! I fished them back in the 80's, but they didn't catch as many fish for me as the Crazy Shad or Devil's Horse. And I still fish both of them today. Another oldie I fish is the old Wobble Heads with the Creme Scoundrel worm on it. Not sure if anyone is still making the Wobble Heads or not. I looked at the guy on here that was selling "Wobble Heads" but saw that they are not the originals. I think at times they were made by Cordell, Arbogast, and Wobble Head in Monroe, LA. I THINK!

They are still around and a lot of people around here still use them. I have some but never had much luck with them.
Posted By: deerslayer64d

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 02:23 AM

Still use a Lazy Ike & pico perch, jitter bug, on a fairly regular basis
Posted By: Trickster

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 02:31 AM

The lazy Ike is a different lure. Used it on farm ponds back in the 60's That and the Super Sonic

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Sillybass

They are still around and a lot of people around here still use them. I have some but never had much luck with them.

Sillybass-which one are you talking about still using today? The Rat Fink or the Wobble Heads? If you are speaking of the Wobble Heads, the hot Summer time is best for them. The hotter the better. And around here, the red Wobble Head with the natural color Creme worms is most people's favorite. And the slower the better!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 03:13 AM

Do you fish that Rat Fink on 65+ lb. braid...lol? That would be a costly loss if one broke your line!

I have one in pristine condition. Never was as good for me as it was for Freddy G.
What's it worth these days?
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 03:32 AM

I catch lots of nighttime pond bass each summer on a black Jitterbug. I have some Heddon Crazy Crawlers I want to try this summer as well. Also plan on throwing some of my Heddon Torpedoes this summer.
Posted By: ctapp

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 03:40 AM

Redfin smokey joe
Posted By: HOTBAMike

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 08:07 AM

Torpedoes, Jitterbug, Lil George, and my favorite would be an Excalibur Spit'n Image
Posted By: B Lee

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 05:55 PM

Creme.. purple white tail worm

Re: What OLD lures do you still use. - 06/07/16 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan
Do you fish that Rat Fink on 65+ lb. braid...lol? That would be a costly loss if one broke your line!

I have one in pristine condition. Never was as good for me as it was for Freddy G.
What's it worth these days?

As with most Bagley's lures, it depends on the color. I just did a quick search and found that if it is one of the older ones, anywhere from $15-20 on up to over $100. If it is a common color (like TN Shad) it would be on the lower end. I saw a CN (Natural Crawfish) for around $45 I believe it was and a Blue Crawfish color that sold for $127.50. You can look on this site to see the name of the color and the rarity of the color Colors of Bagleys
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum