Texas Fishing Forum

FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites

Posted By: kellisag

FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 01:10 PM

Looks like Rose, Blaylock and Wheeler are eligible through the Southern Opens this year. Will be interesting to see who makes the switch.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:13 PM

I think Blaylock will for sure. Wheeler and Rose could be 50/50. Rose has been a mainstay with FLW like Andy Morgan, Scott Martin, etc. Although it wouldn't necessarily be a shock if all three switched.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:15 PM

I'd be shocked if Mark came over. I'm guessing Wheeler and Blaylock will both make the switch.
Posted By: rlk3

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:17 PM

Wheeler has said he is in.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:21 PM

I agree Rose will probably stay put. Wheeler has already said he fishing the Elites
Posted By: snickers

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:24 PM

They should set things up so they can fish both.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:24 PM

I bet Rose will stay over on FLW, that would bump MDJ into the elites.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:36 PM

I am saying Rose moves to the Elites. All small wagers accepted.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:40 PM

I'll bet you $1 that he stays with Walmart and FLW, Neal.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:42 PM

Accepted Mr. Fouzman.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Neal G
Accepted Mr. Fouzman.

Confirmed. Just remind me when the facts are known. I'm old and forgetful roflmao
Posted By: steph670

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:46 PM

I'm curious to know why the switch. Both Pro levels seen like good places to be.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 02:51 PM

More sponsor dollars available on the Elites in the past. This was due to fishing out of their own wrapped boats all four days and being able to feature their sponsors on jerseys. I think FLW may have changed to allow their anglers this same level of exposure, but not sure.

Randall Tharp said he made the switch to the Elites because he wanted to beat the best in the world.
Posted By: CoyAintNoGoldFish

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 03:12 PM

Yep, FLW guys can now use their own boats all four days in a tournament. That was one of the many changes they made, but one of only a few positive ones. They reduced the payout for the Cup from $500K to $300K. They increased the buy-ins for each tournament by $200. A lot of the tour guys just didnt like the direction it was going overall.

A guy at the boat store I work at put it to me this way too, you can make more money fishing tournaments in FLW, but you make your sponsor dollars and get famous in the Elites.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: steph670
I'm curious to know why the switch. Both Pro levels seen like good places to be.

In addition to what Fouz said, they also don't have Co-anglers to deal with on the Elite series.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: kellisag
Originally Posted By: steph670

In addition to what Fouz said, they also don't have Co-anglers to deal with on the Elite series.

Great point. Most of the FLW Tour guys want them out of their boats.
Posted By: mudd

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 04:28 PM

Stetson will fish elites. Seems he was upset he barely missed it last year

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 04:44 PM

Someone please help me on this one: When and who was the last good FLW pro to not switch to the Elites when they qualified?
For the sake of the question - let's omit Randall Tharp because he eventually switched over and Brandon McMillan because he did not fish FLW in 2014 & 2015.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 05:07 PM

I think if Mark Rose can find a multi year sponsorship he will go to the elites.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 05:12 PM

Someone please help me on this one: When and who was the last good FLW pro to not switch to the Elites when they qualified?
For the sake of the question - let's omit Randall Tharp because he eventually switched over and Brandon McMillan because he did not fish FLW in 2014 & 2015.

Pete Ponds, kind of. Tharp declined his first two Elite invites before finally accepting the third.

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article/5113#.V0XcazUrIY0
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: slim 285
I think if Mark Rose can find a multi year sponsorship he will go to the elites.

Agreed. He won't be able to take Walmart with him.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Pete Ponds, kind of. Tharp declined his first two Elite invites before finally accepting the third.

I do not think you can (kind of) count Ponds as he was not an FLW Tour pro prior to 2015 when he bailed out of the Elites for the 2015 campaign. Speaking of former Elite anglers on the FLW circuit - Jamie Horton is kicking butt this year.

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 08:04 PM

I wonder why he's doing so much better on the FLW Tour than in the Elites?

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 10:44 PM

I wonder why he's doing so much better on the FLW Tour than in the Elites?

Not sure. I know nothing of the guy other than his tournament accomplishments which have been good from amateur to professional.
Posted By: T54

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/25/16 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
I bet Rose will stay over on FLW, that would bump MDJ into the elites.

I don't think it would. I believe they changed the process. Only the top 5 non Elite series anglers are offered. They no longer continue down the list. Here is how the qualification read for 2016:

Here’s a basic breakdown of how the 111 anglers who will start the 2016 Bassmaster Elite Series season qualified:
-Top 70 in the 2015 Bassmaster Elite Series Toyota Angler Of the Year point standings.
- Top five non-Elite Series anglers in each 2015 Bassmaster Opens point standings division (15 total anglers)
- One B.A.S.S. Nation representative
-Any 2015 Elite Series rookie that finished below 70th place in the Elite Series TAOY point Standings (in this case, only three rookies from the 2015 class finished below 70th in the TAOY points)

This brings the number of anglers to 89. B.A.S.S. considers a full Elite Series field to be 108 anglers.

The rest of the 2016 field was filled from two “waiting lists.”

List One contained the 43 anglers who finished below 70th place in the 2015 TAOY point standings.

List Two contained the career Elite Series average finish of every Elite Series pro who finished below 70th in the 2015 TAOY point standings minus their worst career Elite Series TAOY finish. For example: If an angler had fished three years on the Elite Series and finished in 80th place in 2013, 35th place in 2014, and 75th place in 2015, that angler would be able to drop his 80th place finish in 2013 and his career average would be 55th place.

Anglers on List One were invited based on Open Anglers who declined Elite Series invites, anglers who finished inside the top 70 in the 2015 Elite Series who declined invitations back, B.A.S.S. Nation representative if the spot went unfilled, and any of the three rookies in 2015 who finished below 70th place in the 2015 TAOY point standings and declined an invitation back.

Anglers on List Two (the Elite Series career average list) were invited until there was a full field of 108 anglers. In this case, B.A.S.S. went down the “career average” list 21 anglers until a full field of 108 anglers was reached. - See more at: http://basszone.com/featured-stories/m.blog/58/dove-s-journey-to-the-flw-tour#sthash.huZfKaz8.dpuf
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 05/26/16 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: M Wyatt
Originally Posted By: slim 285

Agreed. He won't be able to take Walmart with him.

Maybe not with him but he might get them to Sponsor in Bass. They have to see that the FLW isn't as good for their advertising dollar.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 11/03/16 03:59 PM

Its confirmed Blaylock, MDJ, Wheeler leaving FLW, but old guys Rose and Dudley staying. http://www.bassfan.com/news_article/7728/open-qualifiers-mix-of-familiar-names-new-guys#.WBtbifRnCYE
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: FLW Pro's Qualifying for Elites - 11/03/16 04:06 PM

Shows how consistent of an Angler Tharp is by qualifying 3 times for the Elites, impressive!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum