Texas Fishing Forum

broken bow

Posted By: aquaholic1822

broken bow - 05/09/16 04:55 PM

anyone been up there in the last week or so? we are doing our annual trip up there next weekend and instead of canoeing the river and I going to bank it on the lake. Just curious how the bite has been

Re: broken bow - 05/09/16 06:59 PM

yall must be busy working
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: broken bow - 05/09/16 07:05 PM

I'm curious about that myself. What's the walleye fishing like up there? Been thinking about a meat run but never fished there before.
Posted By: RidgeM

Re: broken bow - 05/09/16 07:32 PM

They've been getting slammed with rain. Just talked to a gal that went camping this past weekend and some of the shops are closed that would otherwise rent kayaks/canoes. There's a post in the "pan fish" section of a guy who banked in on sunfish with a few LMB thrown in.

The walleye fishing is good but is 3 bag limit. They recently lowered the limit to 15" as well but can't keep anything in between 20-24".
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: broken bow - 05/09/16 11:08 PM

Bass fishing has been good. Walleye slot is 14 inches or over. Moved it to 14 inches from 18 inches. Fairly certain you can keep 6 each. There is no slot over 14 inches. No slot or bag limit on the spots. Lake has been up and down and not all bass has spawned. Better fishing on a cloudy or rainy day.

Re: broken bow - 05/10/16 03:58 PM

thank yall for the info. ill be out all day friday and saturday working the banks for bass, unless someone offers me a boat ride!
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: broken bow - 05/10/16 07:17 PM

I just returned yesterday and the river is really flowing as the gates are still open and they don't want anyone in the river... No rentals at all... One of the the bridge's is blown out too... So you can't drive the loop around. Its going to be awhile before they get everything repaired out there. The river has changed...

Re: broken bow - 05/10/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: OzzieFish
I just returned yesterday and the river is really flowing as the gates are still open and they don't want anyone in the river... No rentals at all... One of the the bridge's is blown out too... So you can't drive the loop around. Its going to be awhile before they get everything repaired out there. The river has changed...

hope they slow it down for the weekend
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: broken bow - 05/11/16 12:41 PM

Holler at me Thursday evening about 8:00. If I don't have a guide trip Friday, you can get in with me and we can go catch something. I am going anyway. 9185718881
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: broken bow - 05/11/16 01:58 PM

Free guide trip..keep your fingers crossed. thumb
Posted By: BigBassB

Re: broken bow - 05/11/16 02:19 PM

Ill be there next weekend with a fleet of Kayaks....hope we can get on some fish. Planning to hit the main lake, only part of the lake I have fished before is Steven's Gap. Might try somewhere different this time around. We will see. Good Luck! Let me know how the fishing is

Re: broken bow - 05/11/16 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: GarySHO
Holler at me Thursday evening about 8:00. If I don't have a guide trip Friday, you can get in with me and we can go catch something. I am going anyway. 9185718881

Man that is an incredible and generous offer! I will have a few other people with me, so I dont think I can accept it unfortunately. Thank you for offering though!

If you see a few guys (probably drunk) wandering the banks around the marina, it is probably me. Stop and say hey, ill toss you a beer!

Re: broken bow - 05/11/16 03:46 PM

A lot of big brim on the banks especially on points around the flooded persimmon trees. Swim a small grub with a chartreuse tail. bass have been good early on topwater (bone pop-R). Watermelon candy/red superfluke worked slow and weightless around laydowns is good. Watch for snakes. All the water has them out.

Re: broken bow - 05/11/16 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: GarySHO
A lot of big brim on the banks especially on points around the flooded persimmon trees. Swim a small grub with a chartreuse tail. bass have been good early on topwater (bone pop-R). Watermelon candy/red superfluke worked slow and weightless around laydowns is good. Watch for snakes. All the water has them out.

thanks gary! I loaded up on flukes and senkos the other day, they seem to do best for me up there. Unfortunately I know about the snakes all too well up there. Seems we kill a couple copperheads every time we make the trip. Are shakey heads doing good?

Re: broken bow - 05/11/16 04:30 PM

also, hows the water clarity with all the rain?

Re: broken bow - 05/11/16 06:36 PM

Shaky heads always good. Go to color this spring has been redbug. Clarity is still very good especially in the Marina area.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum