Texas Fishing Forum

Decision.. Poles or graphs

Posted By: airforcefishin

Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 04:37 PM

Here's my situation, have a skeeter sx200 no jackplate and will not put one. Already have 8' talon on my boat with wedge bracket. Trying to weigh if I use it enough to switch to two poles. Have a couple options.. running 998 898(non HD)
1) sell the poles buy helix or onix move 998 up front
2) sell Talon and buy brackets to mount poles
3) sell poles and Talon and buy 12' Talon

Or maybe a better suggestion?
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 04:43 PM

I use my graphs every trip. When I had a power pole I rarely used it. It was a huge waste of money for me.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 04:44 PM

With summer and deep fishing around the corner, graphs will help you catch more fish. Save up to buy the Talons later this year or early 2017 for Spring. I don't use my Talons much in the summer and fall but they are a major necessity for me in the spring.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 04:45 PM

What do you use more? I fish primarily less than 5' so Talons for sure! But in deeper water maybe the graphs would be a better choice!!
Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 04:51 PM

Easy answer. Graphs
Posted By: BAGaBass

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 05:49 PM

Graphs,no doubt.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 05:55 PM

Graphs over poles.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 06:15 PM

Graphs, you already have a talon. I would get the Helix models over the Onix. Onix 2.7 software update has bugs, and people are regretting upgrading to it. If you go Helix, get at least a 10". Good luck!
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 06:21 PM

I use my power poles (2) year round. If I have good electronics I would get a second pole. If not get the electronics.
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 06:26 PM

NO brainier, graphs all the way.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
What do you use more? I fish primarily less than 5' so Talons for sure! But in deeper water maybe the graphs would be a better choice!!

This ^. If you are a shallow water guy then pole would make sense. Your not going to get a lot more out of the new graphs if you are primarily using it for a depth finder unless you need to upgrade due to lake charts/mapping.

If you like fishing structure / off shore then graphs all the way.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 07:27 PM

Helix 10... Front and back

You have a talon. And with a trolling motor on low/constant, it's almost like having two anchors anyways. Spend the money to find the fish....
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 07:58 PM

During the course of a day on the water, count how many times you deploy your talon. If it's a lot- upgrade to poles. If not, then upgrade electronics.
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 08:11 PM

Ditching the poles... Thanks guys
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 08:23 PM

I am a firm believer in power poles and recommend that everyone have them. Having said that, a good set of graphs, that are set up properly, are imperative when doing thing other than flipping.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: criglizard
With summer and deep fishing around the corner, graphs will help you catch more fish. Save up to buy the Talons later this year or early 2017 for Spring. I don't use my Talons much in the summer and fall but they are a major necessity for me in the spring.

+1
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/06/16 09:20 PM

I like to fish shollaw so poles for me. I can stick the tip of my rod in water to find out how deep I'm in.
Posted By: mitchmoore01

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/07/16 03:07 AM

Graphs, the poles are used most in the spring when the bass are shallow, and with summer coming, the graphs will help you locate more fish. My two cents.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/07/16 03:14 AM

sell the boat,..buy a motorcycle. woot
or,..get the poles, great in shallow water, and they look cool, like big exaust stacks,,
but if you are senseable,..you can never go wrong with better graphs,,,great selling items.
fish
Posted By: wconn33

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/07/16 06:33 AM

I personally would go with a newer Humminbird onix or helix before getting a pole.
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/07/16 02:44 PM

I say go with graphs and if there's anything left over upgrade to the iPilot trolling motor. Game changer for offshore fishing
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/07/16 09:41 PM

since spawn is mostly over Id wait for the poles as a Christmas present to yourself and get the graphs
Posted By: 97Stratos

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/08/16 02:27 AM

ELECTRONICS will give a ADVANTAGE to FIND the BAIT= CHANCE at successfully catching fish.
ELECTRONICS WILL BE USED CONTINULY .... POLES ONLY IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS.
Posted By: jimham82

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/10/16 01:02 AM

Graphs will help you out all year.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Decision.. Poles or graphs - 05/10/16 11:37 AM

graphs first, poles second.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum