Texas Fishing Forum

What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic

Posted By: slim 285

What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/02/16 04:11 PM

I guess I am old school and starting worming first with a 3/8 oz weight. Usually just keep the same weight on when I flip and pitch. Do you think there is any advantage to a smaller weight?
Posted By: 04champ

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/02/16 04:12 PM

depends on what I'm pitching or flipping

1/2oz or bigger for really thick stuff

1/4oz-3/8oz depending on wind for flipping/pitching hardwoods

I will also use a different plastic for each of those applications
Posted By: forkduc

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/02/16 07:44 PM

My favorite size and I use tungsten.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/02/16 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ

thumb
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/02/16 10:28 PM

I use a 3/8 when I pitch beaver type baits and craw tubes. I use a 1/4 oz for baby brush hogs.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/02/16 10:54 PM

1/4 and 5/16 are My most used.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/02/16 11:06 PM

1/4-3/8..1oz for mats
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/03/16 02:28 AM

Depends....sometimes 1/4 ounce....sometimes more....MUCH MORE! Yesterday I was flipping and punching with two 1 1/2ounce tungstens pegged. The mat was an inch thick and I swear a raccoon could have walked across it no problem. A few times I had to flip up high and snatch down on the rod to blast the 3 ounce weight though to the bottom. Must have been crazy looking to a fish. Probably looked like a meteor shower under the mat!!!! Haha. But...hey....we do what we gotta do to get to the fish. And it worked.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/03/16 02:55 AM

I usually go with a 3/8 or 1/4.
Posted By: Bubba Broadus

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/03/16 12:48 PM

5/16 or 3/8 usually been doing good using my 3/4 tungsten punch skirts punching grass using a California lizard from double zz lures
Posted By: Cmack

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/03/16 07:14 PM

1/4 or 5/16 usually. Occasionally I'll go up to 3/4 oz in thick huisache or retama bushes and hydrilla. 75% is probably done with 5/16.
Posted By: toledo puma

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/03/16 11:04 PM

I drag, pitch, and flip as light a weight as I can.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/04/16 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: 04champ

This guy is a grass master. +1
Posted By: danwill12

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/04/16 01:13 AM

Some guy named Hackney out of Louisiana has taken the time to write about this very subject. I know that most of you fellows won't believe a thing he say's so do not read the Bass.com article #1 or #2 and there is a #3 coming soon. By the way he really likes the Palomar knot. But then what does he know? Dan
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/04/16 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: toledo puma
I drag, pitch, and flip as light a weight as I can.

Me too, 1/8 to 3/16 unless really windy or deep.
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/04/16 01:43 AM

Use the lightless weight you can get away with! You want it to barley fall threw the cover instead blowing threw it and having the bass chase it down. you want it to barely break the surface of the Matted vegetation and give the bass a easy meal!
Posted By: Jdunn12

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/04/16 01:28 PM

I used to use 3/8 most of the time but, I have recently noticed myself using 5/16 80% of the time now. I think it was just getting better at feeling my bait with that lighter weight. I'll drop down to 1/4-1/8 on baby brush hogs/senkos
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: What size weight when flipping and pitching a soft plastic - 05/04/16 01:51 PM

As light a weight as possible....just depends on the type of cover.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum