Texas Fishing Forum

Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend?

Posted By: Jamaica

Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 04:52 PM

We fish about 3 times a week. We respool our reels once a month min. What line is recommend? Budget friendly smile
Posted By: txanlger

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 04:57 PM

Seaguar Red Label. I have had a great past with this line, and it is budget friendly.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 05:19 PM

InvisX
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 05:20 PM

He said budget friendly. No better value or performance than good ol' Trilene Big Game monofilament. Buy the bulk spool in your favorite pound test. I like 15# line for most applications. I no longer use Big Game, but still consider it to be the best all around value in fishing line.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 05:21 PM

Floro - XPS - T-rigs, jigs in cleaner areas, diving cranks, senkos and spinnerbaits/buzzbaits
Mono - Trilene - Top waters and leader line for c-rigs
Braid - Power Pro - Frog fishing, Jigs in heavy stuff and punching
These are my main lines I use.
For wacky I use a co-polymer.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 05:41 PM

For best value I would go with either Trilene Big Game or Seaguar Red Label. They are both great!
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 05:50 PM

Gotta go with Fouz on this one. No brand of line offers more for the money than Big Game. If you just gotta have fluorocarbon, seaguar red label would be the one. Vanish is pretty reasonable as well.
Posted By: Tristen

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 06:13 PM

I would say McCoy mean green as far as best value
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 06:30 PM

You don't have to respool that often. Just wasting money. I have 25lb fluorocarbon on a flipping rod that's been on it for over a year. I have caught several over 8 lbs on it. I fish often.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 06:40 PM

The only reason I change out line is memory. I stretch my line before a trip if I haven't been in a couple weeks but when it stops lying flat without coils then I replace. Way more criticle with my "contact" lures like worms and jigs than say a crankbait... As stated above I still use a lot of mono because it still works(not broken) and Big Game is both good and cheap.
Posted By: mitchmoore01

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: txanlger
Seaguar Red Label. I have had a great past with this line, and it is budget friendly.

I've use this line a lot, fairly cheap, but seems to be a good fluorocarbon. Also try power pro braid, It's always been good for me.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 06:51 PM

Fouz is dead on with the Big Game but for me there could be a better option if you aren't fishing clear water. Braid is by far the most cost effective line because you can use the same spool for a VERY long time.n So if you normally fish really stained or heavy vegetation lakes, I would go with braid
Posted By: HOU Razorback

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 07:01 PM

Hard to beat the big spools of Big Game!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 07:13 PM

Mc Coy's or Big Game for copoly or mono and Sunline Super Fluorocarbon if you want a cheaper fluoro...
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Tristen
I would say McCoy mean green as far as best value

I bought a pack of this a while back and have to agree. Costs more up front but it makes up for it by outlasting Big Game.

If you don't want to spend too much up front, nothing wrong with respooling with Big Game every couple of trips.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 10:23 PM

When I was at the FLW Cup in Hot Springs, Jimmy Houston told me to use Hi Seas Grand Slam Select copoly. He stressed not the regular Grand Slam but the Select. This was in an after seminar conversation. I just blew it off as a sponsor tout. Then when I was in Tulsa for the Classic, I stopped by the Hi Seas booth at the Expo around mid day Friday. They were already sold out of Select with 2 days to go. So when I got home, I ordered a spool of 15# Moss Green from TW (they are sold out as of now). Inexpensive (300 yds for $8.00), much less memory than Big Game, great cast ability, solid hooksets & excellent knot strength. It's on all of my casting reels now including the 20# on my swimbait gear.
Posted By: bubbaque

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 10:26 PM

Suffix seige 17 lb no memory strong like bull buy at Academy
Posted By: Space

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
He said budget friendly. No better value or performance than good ol' Trilene Big Game monofilament. Buy the bulk spool in your favorite pound test. I like 15# line for most applications. I no longer use Big Game, but still consider it to be the best all around value in fishing line.

+1
Posted By: Space

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/28/16 11:57 PM

I tried academy H2o once it is [censored].
Posted By: crna13

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 12:29 AM

P-line
Posted By: reinke

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 12:37 AM

I would go with Mean Green
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 12:48 AM

Big Game is hard to beat, I'm trying Suffix on one rod now and I'm liking it.
Posted By: BAGaBass

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 12:55 AM

Seaguar red label 15lb test. $10.99 at Academy.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 01:03 AM

Vanish
Posted By: papamark

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 08:24 AM

Silver Thread AN-40
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 09:20 AM

Bass Pro 100% fluoro has been great for me and I live on Fork with all the stumps!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 11:32 AM

Mono--BigGame
Fluoro--Seaguar Red Label
Braid--PowerPro
Copoly/Hybrid--McCoys
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 11:55 AM

Sunline sniper it cost more but has more life in it.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 12:12 PM

T Line by Mason.
Buy it online.
The best I've ever found.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 12:27 PM

P Line CXX but go the next test down from what you'd normally use. If you'd normally use 20 go to 17, 15 to 12,....it's about 40% stronger than the marked number. It does get a little memory but fishing for 5 minutes usually cures that if not then stretch it a bit and use line conditioner.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 12:31 PM

You're right that CXX is some stout line! It's abrasion resistance is impressive, and that's the main reason I often use it on my rigs for fishing Galveston Bay. I bought 20# for that, and found just how strong it is when I needed to break off a hung rig.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 04/29/16 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bassfshin24
For best value I would go with either Trilene Big Game or Seaguar Red Label. They are both great!
Ditto!!!
Posted By: sight fisher

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 11:25 AM

Gamma Edge for me. I respool maybe twice a year. It is just that good. Just look at the champions who use it.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Jamaica
We fish about 3 times a week. We respool our reels once a month min. What line is recommend? Budget friendly smile

I'm curious as to what line you currently use that needs to be replaced once a month min?
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 02:23 PM

Big game is always a good affordable choice. If memory becomes an issue use Line and Lure to relax it and fish on. For florocarbon I've been using the Gander Mountain brand made by Sunline. IMO, great line for the money.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 02:31 PM

McCoys Mean Green all the way. It is stronger, tougher, and noticeably less memory than BG. Its expensive but it lasts a long time. Sounds like it could actually save you money if you are re-spooling that often. It won't be necessary with McCoys MG.

I'm sure you know this but cover your reels with a towel or something to keep the UV rays off of them. Back when I fished 2-3 times a week I learned the sun was the enemy of mono. It makes it curl up bad. Minimizing UV exposure will extend the life of your fishing line. cheers
Posted By: Austin.P

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 03:16 PM

Vicious baby! 17-20 floro! Amazing sensitivity, and memory is gone quickly, has pulled in numerous fish, I love it! But your line is only as good as your knot, always remember that fellow anglers!
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 03:47 PM

+1 for the Mason T-line....use it and you wont have that line memory problem you have with P line or Trilene Big Game...fairly cheap in bulk buy it on line at :

http://www.masontackle.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=22

best line I have found so far for low memory and abrasion resistant..
Posted By: Dmurdock6

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 03:52 PM

P-Line fluorocarbon. I have had big bass wrapped around trees and was able to rip them out every time.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 03:56 PM

Been using Mason bass on .... Best monofilament there is for the money ... http://www.masontackle.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=26
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: txanlger

+1...I used to use invisx but have been really impresses with the red label. A little stiffer than invisx but abrasion resistance and knot strength is A+.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 08:47 PM

My main line is McCoys Mean Green, since 2000. It is very strong, very abrasion resistant, has a good amount of stretch and has little memory, compared to mono. It is a copolymer line, with mono and silicone. I do NOT use it for C-rigs, only the leader, but use it for everything else. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 09:56 PM

Use a backing line (non-memory and non-deteriorating.. i.e. braid) to a quality line like InvisX or something you prefer, a $20 200yd spool of flouro will last 6-9 months if you tie your "leaders" at 30-40 yards.. a blood knot won't fail period and it will pass through micro guides too (even with a rod bent over).
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/03/16 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: GrueneRiverRodCo
Use a backing line (non-memory and non-deteriorating.. i.e. braid) to a quality line like InvisX or something you prefer, a $20 200yd spool of flouro will last 6-9 months if you tie your "leaders" at 30-40 yards.. a blood knot won't fail period and it will pass through micro guides too (even with a rod bent over).

Plus on really long casts you get the benefit of no stretch for better hooksets.

Works really well for me, and the Elite Series pro's who I heard about it from.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/04/16 01:07 AM

I also like McCoys mean green and P-Line CXX (8-15# test, 20 for large swim baits).
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/04/16 10:46 AM

Gamma copolymear- used it when I guided and it is the best , toughest line I ever used
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/04/16 10:51 AM

I like Berkley Big game, or Pline CXX, and Power pro. I use straight braid or braid with a leader on all my reels
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/04/16 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing
I like Berkley Big game, or Pline CXX, and Power pro. I use straight braid or braid with a leader on all my reels

The exact 3 lines I use. P Line CXX is converting people from fluoro every day.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/04/16 04:51 PM

I no longer use Big Game but I agree it is good stuff for the price. After using McCoys Mean Green many years ago, I never went back to Big Game. McCoys is a very good "all around" line to use. I found that I did not have to respool the McCoys no where near as often as Big Game so for me it was cheaper in the long run for a much better line. If you need more strength and can put up with a bit of curl, then I would choose P-Line CXX. It is very strong.

Fluorocarbon I use is Invizx and P-Line Halo and the Halo seems stronger but again it does curl a bit more than Invizx, but if you stretch your line a bit before you go, the curls come out just fine.
Posted By: Dean74

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/04/16 11:16 PM

Yo-Zuri and Power Pro
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/05/16 12:21 AM

P-Line CXX and Trilene XT is good stuff also.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/05/16 01:00 AM

McCoy's and Seagur Invizx is all I use.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/05/16 03:21 AM

I like mean green, but recently tried the suffix tritainium in moss green. The 12 lb test is the most abraision resistant I have ever used. I only got it because mean green is hard to come by, barlows or online are my omly options. Well, I have now spooled most of my rigs with it and it is better than mean green. Very low memory, silicone and all the benefits, and less than half the cost. Academy is where I got it.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/05/16 12:48 PM

Fishin' World on Lovers Lane, Dallas right by Love Field/Bachman carries McCoy's in house.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Bass fishing line.Which line do you recommend? - 05/05/16 01:23 PM

Another McCoys user here. 15 lb copoly for my moving baits and 20 lb and 65 lb braid for flipping, frog baits etc.
On my braid I spool it on first of the year. Use it for a year. Pull the line off turn it around and respool it for the second year then change it out the third year.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum