Texas Fishing Forum

Hook set and reel question with Pro's

Posted By: JC Skeeter

Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 06:34 PM

Guess this is kind of a random question, but I have had some free time lately to sit down and watch some recordings I have of both BASS Elite events as well as FLW. My question is, why is it that almost all of the pro's set the hook while walking backwords, then continue on to the back of the boat, and the majority of the time continue the fight all the way around the boat and typically wind up in the driver seat when pulling the fish in?

I think it is rather funny myself. I have fished my entire life and fish as a CO with FLW now and I have never seen that in person nor do it myself. Just wondering is all.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 06:48 PM

I don't know why they do it when power fishing. However, when lakding bigger bass on lighter line, you work them to where you want to get them because you don't boat flip as much. I think their Hoosier is like a golf swing, it has it's own ritual... But don't discount the playing it up for the camera!!!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 06:48 PM

For dramatic effect....since they know the camera is rolling.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 06:50 PM

It's the equivalent of holding the rod tip down to keep a fish from jumping. Totally useless and unnecessary.

Style points.....haha
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 06:50 PM

I don't watch many of those shows, but I don't recall them walking backwards. They often lean backwards with the hook set, taking up more slack and getting a better hookset I assume. They walk and lead a fish around the boat sometimes to wear down the fish before landing it. Concerning sitting in the drivers seat, it gets them close to the water so they can reach out and grab the fish, easier than on knees in front or back of the boat, leaning over, and sometimes falling into the water. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
For dramatic effect....since they know the camera is rolling.

x2
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
It's the equivalent of holding the rod tip down to keep a fish from jumping. Totally useless and unnecessary.

Style points.....haha

Glad you brought that up because that is another issue I have seen. We all know to keep the rod tip up to maintain pressure, yet you always see them drop the rod and say oh don't jump. Which I guess most of us say also, but I don't see many daily fisherman or guys I have fished with on FLW drop the rod tip.
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 06:57 PM

Ike is going to fall out of the back of the boat one day the way he crawfishes backwards yelling "big one, big one" on a 2 lber.
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 07:23 PM

Ike started it. Since he got more play time when he started doing it than most, except for possibly KVD, others do it now for the camera (as mentioned above) in my opinion. When I watch those things on the DVR I just fast forward. And as I mentioned in a previous thread. It is annoying to hear them holler "Giant" on every fish as Hobbs said. If you want to see real emotions, look at the old Megabass when Nixon hooks the 7 lbers. in the lily pads and it jumps right there at the boat. I liked it better when the fishermen were just fishermen, and not actors.
Posted By: Tristen

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 07:23 PM

I'm a firm believer in keeping the rod tip down, sometimes even in the water. Had too many big fish jump and get the leverage they need to throw the lure. I'm still able to keep pressure on the fish with the reel and lose less fish like this than with keeping the rod up
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 07:57 PM

We could debate this a real long time and you should do whatever works for you. Moving backwards works to increase and maintain hook pressure on the fish in addition to the rod and reel. This is more useful on longer casts, or when the hook set was done on somewhat slack line or using lower power rods or to help move fish away from line breaking cover.

We all have our preferred landing positions when the fish can not be swung into the boat. The driver and passenger seats become better options with the loss of athletic ability. Think older, fatter and stiffer.

A low or submerged rod tip works for me to keep fish below the surface when hooked up and reeling fast for fish that are somewhat far from the boat in open water.

Some of the Pros may be doing what they do for show and other Pros have there technique for keeping treble hook fish buttoned up or when trying to get another hook into the fish.

Something else to keep in mind is that even though someone may be a "pro" they might not have a lot of experience with big fish. And yes it is comical to watch them take forever and running around the boat to land the fish when you, me - or Combs or Tharp boat flip 5+lb fish all the time.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 09:24 PM

Have to put on a show. You watch some tournament coverage and they will ski them fish and do a quick boat flip unless it's a giant.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/15/16 10:56 PM

A few things come to mind...
To each his own.
I'm certainly not qualified to tell a pro who fishes for a living how to do his job.
It's also possible that it's just good business, showcasing his sponsors and drawing attention to them.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/16/16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
Ike is going to fall out of the back of the boat one day the way he crawfishes backwards yelling "big one, big one" on a 2 lber.

+1 especially the part about a 2 pound fish being a "big one" to Ike.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/16/16 12:02 AM

I have seen some pros make three trips all the way around the boat before landing the 4 pound fish. I just had to laugh.
Posted By: Superslab

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/17/16 02:57 PM

The funny thing is how that all changes when they land fish in an MLF event - rip it in and swing it as fast as possible!
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Hook set and reel question with Pro's - 04/17/16 03:43 PM

Its for show and the "Dramatic" effect, to put the whole process over the top so to speak, at least thats my opinion.
A friend of mine has a hookset that if u blink,u missed it,a short powerful quick motion,course he has forearms like Popeye
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum