Texas Fishing Forum

Bent power pole bracket

Posted By: High wide and heavy

Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 01:22 AM

I use my power poles a great deal. After fishing while driving down the highway one looked like it wasn't standing up straight. Sure enough when I got home one of the brackets was bent. I didn't back into anything, but it is definitely bent. Now these brackets are super strong looking so I can't figure this out. If it bent while stuck in the mud, wouldn't the pole snap before this bracket bent?
Posted By: elkhartdom

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 01:45 AM

call powerpole, they will more than likely fix it or send you a new one
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 04:19 AM

When a pole is tilted out, it's usually because the bolts are loose and it slips. The pp brackets are slotted for adjustment. After running rough water they can be off.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 05:17 AM

Something has probably moved as stated above. The brackets appear to be cast, not forged. Castings are generally much more brittle and tend to break rather than bend. I had a pole that leaned out of place, but it was because of worn bushings in the pole's moving joints, not a bent bracket. I replaced the hardware using a rebuild kit and everything went back to where it was supposed to be.

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 11:03 AM

The brackets are plate steel that's plasma cut and them bent.
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 12:18 PM

I have the same problem. I still can't figure out what is causing it. The bracket is visibly a different space from the fiberglass.
Posted By: cde21

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 01:09 PM

Had a buddy come off a stump that bent his. Call Power-pole, they will take care of you. They have outstanding customer service.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 01:10 PM

I am in the opinion that the bracket has worked lose and moved some, I had this happen a couple of times, I am thinking about using lock tight on the threads to keep this from happening again.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 01:22 PM

Ive bent 2. The second time I just left it. Yea it doesn't line up perfectly but hey what does. They def will bend loose, tight or indifferent.
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 01:29 PM

Powerpole has the best customer service in the business... They will take care of you.. However, more than likely you just need to adjust the bracket...
Posted By: monster fish

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 01:43 PM

Powerpole absolutely has the best customer service, give them a call...

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 02:51 PM

Thanks for the help. Very awesome to get responses from people who are....in the same boat!
Posted By: Gary R

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Not mine! I have Power Poles on both of my boats. And all brackets are aluminum, and powder-coated. Not steel!

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 04:44 PM

I thought he was talking about the bracket that IS the base of the Power Pole that the moving joint attaches to, not the ADAPTER PLATE (which is what Power Pole calls them, I believe).

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 03/31/16 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Panhandle
I have the same problem. I still can't figure out what is causing it. The bracket is visibly a different space from the fiberglass.

i think you are discussing the ADAPTER PLATE? The bracket (base) is part of the Power Pole itself. Remember that you can back or drift into stumps or other fixed obstacles with the power poles UP such that the weight and momentum of the boat could bend the adapter plate. The Power Poles engaged with the lake bottom scenario is probably not capable of doing this. The spike would flex or the hydraulics relief valve would kick in before the plate would be bent by a deployed pole (in my opinion).

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 04/01/16 11:49 AM

I'm talking about the 90 degree L shaped bracket. It attaches one end to my jack plate and the other attaches t the actual power pole. I looked at it again and it is bent down and away from my boat. I just need a new bracket or it looks like I could bend this one. (I better have the new one on hand, my "bending" experience is not good.)

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 04/01/16 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary R

Not mine! I have Power Poles on both of my boats. And all brackets are aluminum, and powder-coated. Not steel!

Correct. I said it wrong. 6:00am is not the best time for advise. Just like asking at 1:00am roflmao Aluminum plate. Not cast.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Bent power pole bracket - 04/01/16 11:59 PM

I left my power pole down one time and took off. It bent the bracket. Not bad enough to worry about though.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum