Texas Fishing Forum

Chatterbait size question

Posted By: coachmatt

Chatterbait size question - 03/29/16 11:24 PM

What are the pros and cons for the 3/8 oz vs the 1/2 oz sizes. Trying to determine which would be best. Thanks guys.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/29/16 11:36 PM

Both have their time and place, but overall if I could throw only one, it would be the 1/2oz--casts further, easier to retrieve hopping and gliding off the bottom. I like to pitch the 1/2oz into gaps in reeds. The 3/8oz is easier to fish in shallow grass and threw scattered shallow cover that occasionally reaches the surface.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/29/16 11:54 PM

Naturally with chatterbaits, when you reel them, it creates lift. So I like the heavier size to keep my bait down in the water column. The best advice I ever got from an angler was "the best way to fish a spinnerbait, is where you can barely see the blades turning in the water." That same rule applies to chatterbaits.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/29/16 11:55 PM

I'm now only using the 1/2 oz models. I like Rage Tail Craws as my trailer and the heavier one is easier for me to keep it down in the water column.
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 12:58 AM

3/8 oz for me but I mainly fish shallow grass with them
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 05:06 AM

Agree with everyone that has posted. For me, it all boils down to the area I'm trying to fish and the conditions I'm faced with. I prefer a 3/8 oz. bladed jig in 3 foot or less or anytime I want a slow presentation. I also prefer it around grass (hydrilla, milfoil). I really tried to preach that slow presentation to my friend that came down from Illinois to fish the Mega Bass on Fork, and he had a blast that weekend!

When the fish become a little more active (i.e. the shad spawn) or if I want to fish it deeper (3' to 8') or if it's windy in the area I'm fishing, I'll bump it up to a 1/2. I've been throwing a 3/8 oz. a whole lot more often so far this year, but it's time to start throwing the 1/2 and 1 oz again. I'll fish a 1/2 oz until the fish move offshore and then you'll find me out there with a 1 oz. trophy hunting. I'll also be throwing the 1 oz. on the edge of feeding flats as the bigger fish start feeding up pre and post spawn.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 06:36 AM

I either throw a 1/2 Oz or a 1 Oz just depends on the depth I'm fishing I can still fish the 1/2 in shallow areas just changing the trailer to keep it up in the water column.
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 10:58 AM

Well said Alex!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Naturally with chatterbaits, when you reel them, it creates lift. So I like the heavier size to keep my bait down in the water column. The best advice I ever got from an angler was "the best way to fish a spinnerbait, is where you can barely see the blades turning in the water." That same rule applies to chatterbaits.

I tend to catch much bigger bass when I reel it slow and work it toward the bottom........
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 12:47 PM

I fish both 3/8 and 1/2, but seem to like the 1/2 more often due to castability.

Not to jump the thread, but aside from Rage Craws, what do you guys use for trailers?

I have been using either Kicker Fish Tail Slappers or the Havoc Grass Pig swimbait. Both seem to work well.

Now that I know there is a 1 oz I will have to get a couple!
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 04:03 PM

Most of my fish that I have caught this year have come on a chatterbait. I have been using a Big Bite double tail grub for my trailer on chatterbaits and swim jigs. Lots of action in that bait.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 05:51 PM

For a change of pace, especially if there is a lighter bite or you are going after fun little guys like guadalupe bass, try the 1/8 oz micro chatterbait. Pull the skirt off and add a beaver style trailer.
Posted By: cruzfishing

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 06:48 PM

Come on guys... Everyone knows size doesn't matter......right guys???.....guys???
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 06:52 PM

I add weight to mine..... Make them 1.5 ounces,,,, better yet.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: E5Zero
I fish both 3/8 and 1/2, but seem to like the 1/2 more often due to castability.

Not to jump the thread, but aside from Rage Craws, what do you guys use for trailers?

I have been using either Kicker Fish Tail Slappers or the Havoc Grass Pig swimbait. Both seem to work well.

Now that I know there is a 1 oz I will have to get a couple!

I like Cane Thumpers and baby Rage Craws.
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 07:37 PM

Which brand(s) make the best 1 oz. model?...
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/30/16 08:19 PM

if I am fishing in less that 3ft of water I like 3/8 or 1/4 ounce. Anything deeper than that I go with 1/2 ounce.

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/31/16 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: JD/76708

I make a 1 oz. version called "The Lunker Thumper". It's unique and has quality components in every aspect. When I designed it, I set the Mustad hook in the mold where you can use a 5"-8" swimbait for a trailer, so it's going to have a BIG profile (specifically tested with the big LFT Live Magic Shad trailers during the prototype/test phase). The bait keeper is solid. I use hand-tied skirts on a silicone core for perfect color separation. The snap is a big-game snap that will not ever fail, and I will stand by that.

www.finchnastybaitco.com Click on "Thumpers" and scroll to the bottom of the page. If you have questions about anything, I'll do my best to answer them.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/31/16 02:56 AM

I just bought some new 1/2 oz ones. They don't chatter thought they are made to hunt like a squarebill. Suppose to got through grass good can't wait to see at fork next weekend. I asked for a 1oz in this style but blade is big wants to pull up he says. He's working on one. I fish at night a lot so I want big and nosiey
Posted By: fishfor5

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/31/16 03:37 AM

ill fish a 3/8 in shallow grass or docks. pretty much anything shallow, the 3/8 skips really easy.
Posted By: Tristen

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/31/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit
I just bought some new 1/2 oz ones. They don't chatter thought they are made to hunt like a squarebill.

Alex's baits have a nice hunting action

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/31/16 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Alex Finch

I make a 1 oz. version called "The Lunker Thumper". It's unique and has quality components in every aspect. When I designed it, I set the Mustad hook in the mold where you can use a 5"-8" swimbait for a trailer, so it's going to have a BIG profile (specifically tested with the big LFT Live Magic Shad trailers during the prototype/test phase). The bait keeper is solid. I use hand-tied skirts on a silicone core for perfect color separation. The snap is a big-game snap that will not ever fail, and I will stand by that.

www.finchnastybaitco.com Click on "Thumpers" and scroll to the bottom of the page. If you have questions about anything, I'll do my best to answer them.

Just put in an order a couple days ago. Had a buddy wear them out on one of yours over the weekend. (3/8 oz version i believe). Excited to see the action.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Chatterbait size question - 03/31/16 02:59 PM

3/8oz is my number 1 size for most depth i usually dont fish them deeper than 7ft but they work well at all depths

Re: Chatterbait size question - 04/01/16 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Tristen
I just bought some new 1/2 oz ones. They don't chatter thought they are made to hunt like a squarebill.

Originally Posted By: coachmatt

Just put in an order a couple days ago. Had a buddy wear them out on one of yours over the weekend. (3/8 oz version i believe). Excited to see the action.

Thanks guys! Matt, that is great to hear. I really appreciate your business and you sharing that info about your trip, and I hope your buddy enjoyed his day on the lake. Now you'll have some for this weekend!
Posted By: L a r r y

Re: Chatterbait size question - 04/01/16 06:34 PM

Throw a 1/2 oz and put a 5" swimbait on it with a boot tail and hang on.......

Re: Chatterbait size question - 04/01/16 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tristen

Originally Posted By: coachmatt

Thanks guys! Matt, that is great to hear. I really appreciate your business and you sharing that info about your trip, and I hope your buddy enjoyed his day on the lake. Now you'll have some for this weekend!

oh they did. Won our club tourney. 3 fish limit weighed almost 17 lbs. Kicker as almost 7.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum