Texas Fishing Forum

Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15

Posted By: Ken A.

Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 12:10 PM

Hey guys,

I had the privilege of meeting John Lee Smith author of, The Journey of an Old Big Bass Fisherman. He is an awesome guy, a great storyteller and a wealth of fishing knowledge. I spoke to him last night and he has agreed to come to Bass Pro Shop Grapevine at Noon on Friday April 15th. thumb

So get your taxes filed and come join us upstairs at Uncle Bucks. John will have some books for sale and will be happy to answer all your questions about Toledo Bend.

Hope to see you there!

Ken wink
Posted By: GrassProShop Jim

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 12:47 PM

Oh man! I hate that I'm going to miss this one. I have a distributor event at lunch time that day.....

Sounds like a great time Ken. You're doing a great thing getting TFF people together!! See you next time.
Posted By: Spring Lizard Waterdog

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 01:05 PM

I look forward to being there and sharing my big bass techniques I have practiced over the last 47 years to catch nearly a 1000 native black bass 7-9 pounds. I will probably learn some things too from you guys.

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 01:10 PM

I finally figured out how to post a pic!!!

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 01:11 PM

I'm going to try my best to make this...... thanks Ken!..... BTW, that bedazzled belt is the deal bud!!
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 01:27 PM

What would you expect with that hat Frank ?

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 01:36 PM

Hurtful guys...

Okay, I'm over it!
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 01:38 PM

Dang, what so bad about Wednesdays, you know where I'm at Thurs-Sun... You guys have fun, maybe I can make it one of these times...

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Dang, what so bad about Wednesdays, you know where I'm at Thurs-Sun... You guys have fun, maybe I can make it one of these times...

Billy,

You have to be there! YOU are the Legend I was talking about!!

thumb

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Billy,

thumb

Ken you are full of it...... roflmao. I'm waiting on a visit---soon.. grin
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 02:51 PM

Ken, I am going to try to make it out there. Hope to meet you again!

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 04:35 PM

Billy,

thumb

Ken you are full of it...... roflmao. I'm waiting on a visit---soon.. grin

We will get r done Billy.

All I do is Work-SnowSki-Work-Fish-Work.... grin

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricky Taylor
Ken, I am going to try to make it out there. Hope to meet you again!

Come On Ricky! I'll buy your lunch if you can make it!
Posted By: buda13

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 05:09 PM

I put it on the calendar, barring any unforeseen chaos I will be there!
Posted By: tommyc

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/29/16 10:53 PM

These lunches are a hoot. Good folks to shoot the breeze with. Hope I can make this one!
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/30/16 12:27 AM

I finally figured out how to post a pic!!!

Nice fish and really nice hat. \m/

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/30/16 12:31 AM

I may have figured out a way to make it, this will be fun banana
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/30/16 12:33 AM

I really enjoyed the last one and I got to meet John this weekend. Planning on being there. Thanks Ken!

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/30/16 02:28 PM

Old guys are excellent mentors for guys caught up in a hi-tech world of bass fishing. Everyone needs to think about the basics of bass fishing to keep the right perspective. One line, one rod and reel, several lures will catch bass. Slows you down and makes you think about what is going on. 12 rods, 12 lures, 12 different types of line, X-ray glasses, down views, side views, spaceship boats makes you hyper. Bass have not changed, fishing has changed. I challenge each to get back to thinking basics of bass fishing. It will make you a better fisherman especially when you live in this smorgasbord of the fishing world today. I have caught nearly a thousand bass 7-9 lbs and I can hold one rod and reel with 17 lb strength mono and the lures I caught them on in one hand. Come to our lunch at BP Grapevine April 15 that Ken A posted a couple of days ago and I will show you.

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/31/16 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

Come on brother! Bring Kevin with you!

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 03/31/16 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

Come on brother! Bring Kevin with you!

thumb, I will see if I can steal him away from his cowboy duties

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/01/16 06:11 PM

I have received several calls, texts & emails asking what day and what time and where this will take place.

12:00 Noon at the Grapevine Bass Pro on April 15th!!

welcome flag thumb bump frkazoid

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/03/16 01:53 PM

I am looking forward to meeting some great guys. Excited about this one. By the way Ken, I found my wallet after tearing up my 2 story house, garage, boat, Walmart, backtracking the road and my steps. After going to the DMV, SS office, putting holds on my credit cards. Ordering new SS card, Plan F card, PX card and voting registration card I found it in my grandsons backpack! Maybe he needed the $240 was in it for school lunch money. Felt like I found a golden egg!

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/11/16 03:50 PM

Come join us this Friday at NOON!
Posted By: GrassProShop Jim

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/11/16 04:16 PM

Still wish I didn't have an appointment on Friday so I could join you, but would like to get one of John Lee Smith's books!!

Y'all have fun!!
Posted By: Transplant from WV

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/11/16 04:59 PM

Ken, here is a much better looking hat. eek

Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/11/16 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Transplant from WV
Ken, here is a much better looking hat. eek

noidea

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/11/16 08:13 PM

Ha! I didn't attend UT but they are one of my biggest customers so they get the nod.
Posted By: Russell J

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/11/16 08:20 PM

Is that a life alert around your neck??? roflmao

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/11/16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Russell J
Is that a life alert around your neck??? roflmao

I've fallen and I can't get up.... woot
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/11/16 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Spring Lizard Waterdog
I am looking forward to meeting some great guys. Excited about this one. By the way Ken, I found my wallet after tearing up my 2 story house, garage, boat, Walmart, backtracking the road and my steps. After going to the DMV, SS office, putting holds on my credit cards. Ordering new SS card, Plan F card, PX card and voting registration card I found it in my grandsons backpack! Maybe he needed the $240 was in it for school lunch money. Felt like I found a golden egg!

My grandson would remember so well he'd never do that again! I hope there was some serious family-time over this incident, assuming you don't normally put your wallet in your grandson's backpack.....

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/13/16 02:16 PM

All I know is I found it! Peace of mind!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/13/16 03:33 PM

You know......some people have to work for a living! Have fun, folks.
Posted By: elrod

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/14/16 12:34 AM

Going to try to leave for lunch and come meet John and hope to get a book. Just can't stay long have to get back to work.

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/14/16 10:47 AM

I promise to have a Fresh Fish story to tell this Friday. About to put the boat in here at Camelot Bell this morning....

Don't be a hater! wink
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/14/16 10:56 AM

I promise to have a Fresh Fish story to tell this Friday. About to put the boat in here at Camelot Bell this morning....

Don't be a hater! wink

I hope you fall overboard and one of them giants bites your foot off.

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/15/16 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

Don't be a hater! wink

I hope you fall overboard and one of them giants bites your foot off.

Just for that I'm not taking you till it gets hot outside!!
Posted By: dpdpete

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/16/16 01:40 AM

Thanks Ken for setting this up and Mr. Smith for your great stories. I haven't been able to put the book down!

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/16/16 01:42 PM

Thanks to all that came. I was a little disappointed with the turnout but that what I get for scheduling it on Tax Day!

Anyway, it was FUN and we really enjoyed listening to John Lee tell stories of his days at Toledo Bend. Another special guest showed up and joined us. He and John had fished against each other 35 years ago! It was like a family reunion.

We will do it again in a month or so.

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/16/16 01:42 PM

Is there another day of the week that would work better for you guys?

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/20/16 06:22 PM

We had a small turnout but a miracle did happen there. They asked me to tell them about the Bass Cheaters chapter in my book The Journey of an Old Big Bass Fisherman which I told the entire story. In the story I told of a young man in his twenties who had caught a bass that weighed 7.5 lbs and should have been the winner of The Battle of the Lakes Big Bass Tournament May 1980. I have thought a lot about that young man over the years. Did not remember his name or face, just the excitement on his face. When I was through telling the story the man sitting next to me on my left said, "I am in your book, I was that young man! He proceeded to pull out the entry form, news articles photographs etc. My jaw dropped! This was the young man 36 years ago I was talking about Think about it. What are the odds of meeting someone from another state 36 years later. Miracles happen and if you read my book you will know what I mean when I say miracles do happen! Thanks Michael McBurney you turned out to be exactly what I had hoped all these years. A CLASS ACT.

Posted By: CCTX

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/20/16 08:43 PM

Wow! Amazing how the world works.

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/20/16 09:02 PM

Is there another day of the week that would work better for you guys?

Tues-Wed are my best days. cheers

Re: Have Lunch with a Bass Fishing Legend at Bass Pro Shop Grapevine on 4/15 - 04/21/16 01:31 AM

We'll do the next one on a Tues or Wed Billy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum