Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Waco

Posted By: Texjef84

Lake Waco - 03/21/16 12:23 PM

I've been wanting to get down and fish it, anyone been on it lately? One thing I noticed online is that it's 62' low, how is this possible? We've had record rains so I feel this has to be a typo. I just want to know a good place to put in and any hazards that may not be evident, thanks.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake Waco - 03/21/16 01:00 PM

Put in at Speegleville a while back....it was over pool. And nice. Tough bite. But there was a few.
Posted By: smsimcik

Re: Lake Waco - 03/21/16 01:32 PM

Speegleville Park is probably the best place to put in. The lake is about 2-3 feet high right now. Most creeks and rivers are muddy from recent rains. There were quite a few floaters last week in the north end of the lake. You need to be careful if running full speed.
Bass bite there always seems to be tough. You can always manage to catch a few but you have to move around alot and fish pretty hard.

Re: Lake Waco - 03/21/16 01:43 PM

Thanks. When I pulled up lake levels it shows 62 low so I knew that couldn't be right. Thanks for the info, hopefully we can get down there soon.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Lake Waco - 03/21/16 02:33 PM

The deepest part of the Lake is only 60' by the dam, most of the lake is around 25 to 35'. I do not know what site you are looking at but it is wrong.
The lake is muddy from the rain and the hight winds. The South 40 Shootout was there Sat. and Sunday.
I fished it Tue. and had four bites, two dinks a 4lb and lost a big fish in very heavy cover.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lake Waco - 03/21/16 06:00 PM

Lake is only a few inches high right now. But most of the lake is muddy from winds and rains. The bite is pretty tough
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Lake Waco - 03/21/16 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: harvey walker

The lake is muddy from the rain and the high winds. The South 40 Shootout was there Sat. and Sunday.

Who and how much won?

....and I will vouch for the muddy water and WIND!
Posted By: WacoHawgCaller

Re: Lake Waco - 03/22/16 01:57 AM

Just over 24lbs won the South 40 Championship. two days. it was tough. we turned in 5.93 the first day and fished at 25...just enough to make the top 25 cut

Re: Lake Waco - 03/22/16 12:43 PM

My website has correct info now, .19 over pool. As soon as we get out of the high wind and stained water season I'll get back out on the water.
Posted By: BaylorLipRipper

Re: Lake Waco - 03/22/16 07:34 PM

Water temp is still mid to high 60's in most of the lake, the weather hasn't been helping but hopefully this full moon will bring up a big wave of fish shallow. Caught a few fish on baby brush hogs behind Speegleville Sunday.

Re: Lake Waco - 03/22/16 11:53 PM

It's funny, the fisherman say it's a tough bite and the TPWD graph of fish in the lake has black bass as excellent. Anyway, I look forward to getting down there, may be in late April but I'll give a report. Baby brush hogs have been productive for me lately as well, not on Waco, but another tough lake.
Posted By: PTGfish

Re: Lake Waco - 03/23/16 12:03 AM

It will be much easier to fish then. Just fish the outside timber edges.
Posted By: catch-n-release

Re: Lake Waco - 03/23/16 01:53 AM

Bite was good before all the rain. It is tough now but will improve. Since when has the TPWD site been anywhere close on a fishing report. But hey go try it for your self and let us know who's right. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum