Texas Fishing Forum

Found in Lake Hawkins

Posted By: Pumadon

Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 01:38 AM

After the fact wished a would have marked it. Found a bent piece of rebar just under the surface, cannot been seen when idling. It is located in the mid-lake cove going north just inside the south point of the cove. About 20 yards inside the cove and 20 yards off the south bank. Luckily for me it was not straight up or would have punched a hole in my hull, as is about 4' gash about 3/4" wide and through the gel coat. Not leaking. It makes a terrible sound. BEWARE!
Posted By: Jefffish

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 02:10 AM

Don, lets get that found and marked. I don't want anybody to hit that if we can help it. I have some PVC pipe that we might be able to mark it with.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Tucson
Don, lets get that found and marked. I don't want anybody to hit that if we can help it. I have some PVC pipe that we might be able to mark it with.
tie the anchor rope to it and rip it out. Problem solved.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 03:44 AM

Don, any way you could post a map showing roughly where it is?

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 04:37 AM

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 04:39 AM

Frank even an old dog can learn a new thing. My wife talked me thru. The drop pin is the approximate location of the rebar.

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 04:57 AM

thumb thank you
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 05:19 AM

Why werent you fishing right there?? Thats a good piece of cover roflmao

In all seriousness glad nothing major happened to the boat. That couldve been something real bad! Make sure to stay away from that tournament day!
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 10:58 AM

Prolly marks a stump. People drive 'em into stumps ont TBend and tie a flag on it...flag deteriorates and the water rises.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: RayBob
Prolly marks a stump. People drive 'em into stumps ont TBend and tie a flag on it...flag deteriorates and the water rises.

yeah I've never understood this... A stump will RARELY ever damage you boat. That dang rebar you can just LOOK at ant it will eat your jell coat....

It should be illegal in my opinion...

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 06:01 PM

Catslayer I agree should be illegal. I have rolled over thousands of stumps and never any damage but 1 piece of bent over rebar and at least $1500.00 in damage. Boy was I pissed when it happened.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 07:56 PM

That is an old stump marker, underwater now due to the lake being high. There are a lot of these under the water line on Hawkins right now, so extreme caution should be used if you are not familiar with this lake!
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/07/16 09:27 PM

I have seen a couple of dozen rebar marking stumps there. Most of them had a tennis ball on them but they won't last long with different water levels and rot. Use caution in coves with stumps. I have nice scratch to remind me of one without a marker.
Posted By: 95champ

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/08/16 02:55 AM

Did the same thing north of the bridge last spring. mad I feel your pain.

Re: Found in Lake Hawkins - 03/08/16 03:30 AM

Sounds like Hawkins has several of these to be aware of
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum