Texas Fishing Forum

Running richland chambers

Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Running richland chambers - 02/28/16 02:24 AM

Anyone have solid info on how to run RC? Only been on lake 3 times tried to explore some today but found out there is a ton of timber in the richland arm. Gonna spend some time in other arm tomorrow has anyone used the ramp off 2859 bridge? Thanks for help. Fishing was terrible today only had 3 fish all came before 10am zero bites rest of day.
Posted By: Kyle405

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/28/16 02:28 AM

Don't run that lake until you learn it. I saw a guy in a nice Ranger haulin @$$ down the Richland arm and hit a submerged stump. Sounded like a bomb went off.

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/28/16 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Kyle405
Don't run that lake until you learn it. I saw a guy in a nice Ranger haulin @$$ down the Richland arm and hit a submerged stump. Sounded like a bomb went off.

Ya i didnt go far before i shut down. I don't mind idling but man its a pain when its rough especially when it seems like almost that whole arm is not really safe to run
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 01:36 AM

Today was the first time I ever saw the lake. It kicked my butt!! 9:00am-5:20pm. 1 bite.
Posted By: RMOROTT21

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 01:48 AM

I'm headed down there next weekend never seen the lake b4 sounds like I got a lot to look forward to
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 01:57 AM

I'll be there Friday for the first time aswell you guys have me just super excited to fish it. Would anyone be willing to share water temp and color? Just trying to get some kind of idea of what to try before I get there.

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 03:50 AM

Clearest water I found. You could see a foot max. Mainly 6". And the water temp today was 55 for the most part. And the waves are decent sized hahahaha

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 05:01 AM

About what I was expecting thanks for the info maybe I can go luck into a fish or 2 Friday.
Posted By: structure man(Guide on RC)

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 01:24 PM

Good luck guys, water a little high and off colored on most all of the lake. Lots of timber under the water and can be dangerous to boaters unfamiliar of where to run.
No boat lanes marked scattered timber where it appears to be open so be really careful out there.
Posted By: kemon86

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 02:09 PM

Pretty much idle in Richland, stay on the east side of the chambers creek arm and the 2859 ramp is fine to use.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 04:01 PM

That lake sucks. You will figure that out
Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Today was the first time I ever saw the lake. It kicked my butt!! 9:00am-5:20pm. 1 bite.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers
It will take over 30lbs in TTT if the lake stabilize, I have caught more 30lb sack out of that lake then anywhere. It is not as good as it used to be with the hydrilla gone.
Posted By: CDubSmith2

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 06:26 PM

17lbs will win it
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 06:40 PM

I think it's one of the most underutilized large tournament lakes in the state. Its a feast or famine lake for sure. You get around them though and its Katy bar the door. If you don't get around them, well... it has an ample population of hybrids that you can waste your day on.

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: CDubSmith2
17lbs will win it

Not even close. 17 lbs won't even sniff the top 10.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 07:13 PM

Tank Dams, have to find em and fish em.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Bullet20XrD

I think it's one of the most underutilized large tournament lakes in the state. Its a feast or famine lake for sure. You get around them though and its Katy bar the door. If you don't get around them, well... it has an ample population of hybrids that you can waste your day on.

Facilities and lodging situation sucks sucks sucks.

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 08:58 PM

I'm not complaining at all even though Saturday was less than a great day. It's only 30min from our lake house so not complaining about lodging and the only tournament I ever fished out there I weighed in almost 20lbs so I know it has good fish just have to find them and stay off the stumps

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 10:34 PM

New plan follow hollingshead

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Brad if your going to be there next thurs or Friday I'll show you the run all the way to TXI or Patterson up the Richland arm or almost to the end up into chambers or the run up into the back of cedar, that one is the hardest. I'm sure the sizmac lanes have water over them so you can't see the lanes behind the island.

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

Facilities and lodging situation sucks sucks sucks.

That's a fact. Hell of a lake though... or can be if you get around em'.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Running richland chambers - 02/29/16 11:13 PM

The very upper end is good and I used to run all the way up there regularly.

Patterson Lake, Little Pin Oak and the cement plant are above the railroad bridge and all have had good numbers of fish in them. With the lake up the last couple of years its a definite possibility. This time of year most of the tank dams are not the place to be. Shallow for the most part right now.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/01/16 12:42 AM

Go look at the stocking records. Yes it will take close to 30 t win the ttt. 75 % of the rest of the field will feel the suck factor. They just don't stock the old girl much.
Posted By: R&K

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/01/16 12:47 AM

With the lake up and cover all over the shoreline, 200-300 boats, mid March, 17lbs won't come close IMO. Just got to be fishing the right cover.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/01/16 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Brad if your going to be there next thurs or Friday I'll show you the run all the way to TXI or Patterson up the Richland arm or almost to the end up into chambers or the run up into the back of cedar, that one is the hardest. I'm sure the sizmac lanes have water over them so you can't see the lanes behind the island.

I wasn't planning on going next week, but if your willing to show me the run I will change my plans and can come down there next Friday. Will be going this Friday so I'm focus on other areas of the lake this week.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/01/16 02:11 AM

I really figured 25-27 to win and 17-18 to cash a check with the level of competition in this field plus 250 teams I bet 30 teams will find them out there.
Posted By: tsig2012

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/01/16 10:07 PM

Is this lake similar to most east texas lakes were the south end around the damn is safe to run but the further north you go the more dangerous it gets.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/01/16 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: tsig2012
Is this lake similar to most east texas lakes were the south end around the damn is safe to run but the further north you go the more dangerous it gets.
yes besides some flats on the north bank towards the dam which should be under water deep enough, the east bank running north is safe but running west arm not as open.
Posted By: tsig2012

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/01/16 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
Originally Posted By: tsig2012
yes besides some flats on the north bank towards the dam which should be under water deep enough, the east bank running north is safe but running west arm not as open.

Alright that's what I needed to know thanks alot sir.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/01/16 11:22 PM

The faster you go the less boat in the water

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/02/16 08:34 PM

good info thanks guys
Posted By: joey hanna

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 04:07 AM

It took 25 pounds to win our club tourney on rc in feb. If you can't catch 20 pounds well your just going to be donating to the locals

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 05:42 AM

Took 26lbs to win 2 weeks ago also

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 07:35 AM

Guess I'll just be donating to the locals, maybe they will come fish ray Roberts smile
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 03:44 PM

8 inches of rain last night with more to come. I could be wrong but I bet it will be tough... could get cancelled too, not sure if water can get high enough of RC for them to call it.
Posted By: Dangerdave93

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 03:46 PM

Saw a bunch of guys flippin' this past weekend. Did a little myself and managed to put 1 in the box, and lost 2 right at the boat on a chatterbait. Still don't think the bass are totally committed to the banks yet.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: CDubSmith2
17lbs will win it

Not even close. 17 lbs won't even sniff the top 10.

After this rain, I'm going to retract this statement. Going to be tough because the water is going to be dirty and will scatter the fish I think.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 04:25 PM

smile
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 04:37 PM

I run over the 287 bridge on a monthly basis to the deer lease. There is a pile of trees right in the middle of the lake just below the 287 bridge. Once the lake came back up and covered those tree's, I got real concerned someone was going to get hurt running 60 mph and hit one of those big boys. Be careful and good luck.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
I run over the 287 bridge on a monthly basis to the deer lease. There is a pile of trees right in the middle of the lake just below the 287 bridge. Once the lake came back up and covered those tree's, I got real concerned someone was going to get hurt running 60 mph and hit one of those big boys. Be careful and good luck.
I noticed when the lake was down theres a bunch of big 'ol widowmakers on the other side of 287 I had no clue about scared You have a lease close to the forbidden zone?

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 05:10 PM

It's gonna be tough that's for sure I'm not even bothering to pre fish this weekend with all the rain

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 06:26 PM

I have been on RC for a long time and still manage to hit one every now and then. Be careful out there!

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 06:35 PM

I feel sorry for the guys fishing weekend series down there this weekend. I'm not gonna bother going back this weekend I prolly ran a lot of stuff I should not have there r random stump in a lot of place that seem clear
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 06:52 PM

I've been on that lake for a tourney, spent 3 days fishing it. What I can say is that several people told me I should run into Chambers Creek, up into the direction of Grape Creek to find some good fish.

I think that was the most nerve-racking part of running around most of the lake. I stayed at that hotel by the 287 bridge, ran up to that large island that's north of the 287 bridge and down to the dam. I felt safe for the most part, but I couldnt wait to get out of Chambers creek and I probably ran only about halfway in. Kept on thinking I was due to slam into something anytime.

Good luck!!!

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 5-20
I've been on that lake for a tourney, spent 3 days fishing it. What I can say is that several people told me I should run into Chambers Creek, up into the direction of Grape Creek to find some good fish.

I think that was the most nerve-racking part of running around most of the lake. I stayed at that hotel by the 287 bridge, ran up to that large island that's north of the 287 bridge and down to the dam. I felt safe for the most part, but I couldnt wait to get out of Chambers creek and I probably ran only about halfway in. Kept on thinking I was due to slam into something anytime.

Good luck!!!
Might have been sending you on a wild goose chase, grape creek was a player years back when the lake was new but it was silted in bad and high and dry the last time I saw it via kayak a few years ago, water has come way up since though. That run up the richaland arm is as scary as any place I've ever been.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 10:49 PM

Any lodging suggestions?

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/09/16 10:59 PM

Oak cove motel is right there by the ramp, nothing fancy but its clean and the people are nice, there some chain stuff holiday-inn etc. on IH-45 in corsicana also.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 12:50 AM

Heading south out of oak cove there is scattered timber along the west shore some extends out at the old '287 road bed, there is some timber at the boot leg point. If you are off the bank a couple thousand feet you should be fine. Turning west into the Richland arm stay stay in the middle, after passing Reka Creek stay closer to the southern bank getting fairly tight along Five Coves shoreline. Continueing west past five coves look for the pipe lines turn to the north west up the pipeline once you clear the tree line turn back the the left and head west between the southern and northern tree lines stay in the center and you are clear all the way to the power lines that run parallel to the RR track. For me the quickest way into Grape is to turn north on the power line run to Chaneyboro and then quick idle to grape.

With the lake up if could be a straight shot into TXI from the power line, but in the past you would run to about the third tower from the RR track opening veer out to the east and then make a hard right leading under the at a right angle. THERE are large lay downs scattered in this area.

Take the middle bridge opening at the RR tracks idling throught the opening and then head on to Patterson, that area went dead for several years to much fly ash from the plant. Gar and carp to over.
Maybe the lake being down and re flooding cleaned it out.
A lot of tournaments are won in eye sight of 287 bridge.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 12:54 AM

That's going to be one muddy lake after all this rain. Anyone who catches 30lbs with that much fresh water hitting at once deserves to win...

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 01:02 AM

I keep hearing the east bank on the arm that oak cove is in pretty clear to run but not sure

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 01:11 AM

I ran to txi and north Monday. I created a trail on google earth. Lakes 5' low in images. I then ran this trail. The timber lines on Google match up with most of the timber standing. Do this at your own risk. Worked for me.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 01:16 AM

I bet i can put 30lbs in the live well, just have to close the valves and turn on the pumps on.
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 01:29 AM

I'm sure TXI will be crowded.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: meP2too

Take the middle bridge opening at the RR tracks idling throught the opening and then head on to Patterson, that area went dead for several years to much fly ash from the plant. Gar and carp to over.
Maybe the lake being down and re flooding cleaned it out.
A lot of tournaments are won in eye sight of 287 bridge.
Not sure why TXI would still be good and patterson not, went into patterson when the lake was down and the only way you could get in there was with a kayak, looked real good but never got a bite, I wonder if it was just an off day. Was a bowfishers dream in there, lots of rough fish.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 02:41 PM

It will be ok. Big girls will be chewing

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 05:01 PM

RC is 1.72 high as of this morning and still running into lake.

Re: Running richland chambers - 03/10/16 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat
I'm sure TXI will be crowded.

This, and that's probably understating it a bit lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum