Texas Fishing Forum

Drop Shot Bait

Posted By: FHL777

Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 04:51 PM

Just starting to learn this technique. I am not sure what bait to buy. The ones I found with best reviews are the Roboworm, Reaction Innovations Flirt Worm and Strike King KVD dream shot. Should I go with one of these or maybe try all or something else? hmmm

Note: I will be fishing mainly in panhandle area(Amarillo), also on Ute Lake in NM. Ute has smallmouth and largemouth, very tough lake for me!

Thanks in advance
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 04:54 PM

any type of finesse worm works really...just have to find the color....small flukes work as well but typically not as good as smaller finesse worms.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 04:56 PM

I like to use the Jackel I shad ( I think that's the name ) or the yamamato shad shaped worm. Usually green pumpkin, and dip the tail yellow. Looks like a small bream.
Posted By: Do-Nothin

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 05:03 PM

Zoom trick worm most of the time for me. Pretty much any finesse type bait works, however, everyone has their favorites.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 05:08 PM

Yamamoto Cut Tail Worm - Any size or Yamamoto Shad Shape
Posted By: rkcdvm

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 05:16 PM

pretty much anything works . I tend to use roboworms or trickworms if they seem to be aggressive. Yamamotos if they are sluggish. No particular reason to be honest, it just works for me.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 05:18 PM

Roboworm alive shad. I like hologram, prizm, and morning dawn.
Posted By: John-Mark

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 05:32 PM

drop shot does not work...
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 06:05 PM

I'd definitely recommend starting with a roboworm of almost any color but Aaron's Magic is as good as most, 4.5" would be best if you are drop shotting finesse-style (small hook 1/0 or smaller).

Whatever you use, it needs to wave like a flag in the wind.

Some good alternatives mentioned to which I'd add, sort of oddly, that nose hooking a small Keitech Shad Impact seems to really attract fish feeding on shad/minnows. And, the bass also seem a bit larger.

Lots of fun if you like finesse fishing.

If you want to power up, contact Rivera Tackle and order some of his really big drop shot hooks, I think up to 7/0s. You could hang a 10 or 12" worm off one of those.

Brad
Posted By: Mike @ Fishing Specialties

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 06:08 PM

I like to use the roboworms. Great soft action.
Use an octopus hook to start as the bite can be really soft and they will swallow it.
Just remember to set hook easy or you rip it out of their mouths and the hook never has anything to bite into..
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 06:17 PM

a small 4" Senko style bait...wacky style....
Posted By: Desert Angler

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 06:23 PM

KVD dream shot best bait made. Robo worm is a close second. But small fineness worms or 3" senkos all work well.

Try the KVD Magic color in dream shot, or eahlers edge/bold bluegill in robo worm. Those are my go to colors, no matter what the conditions.

Also if you use a small hook like 1 or 2 EWG or offset hook, helps you keep from snagging up if fishing cover
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 08:17 PM

Roboworm FX Sculpin

I like throwing these on drop shots in clear water. The attention to detail on these baits are second to none. They have great action and they're super realistic.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 09:00 PM

Yamamoto Kut Tails are great. Come in plenty of sizes and colors. Well worth the money. I like green pumpkin black in 5 3/4".
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/01/16 09:34 PM

French Fry.
Posted By: ironmike

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/02/16 12:38 AM

Those are all good suggestions. One I would add is the Double Z split ring or the 4" finesse worm they make. These baits are very soft and easier than most baits to hook up with. They should be available on the Anglers Pro Tackle website, or just buzz Rick and he'll take care of ya! Gizzard shad and any variation of green are my favorites. Good luck!
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/02/16 01:34 AM

Check out the 3.5 Paddle Tail. Heavy Garlic & super soft plastic. at

[url=www.texjet.net]Texjet[/url]

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/02/16 02:01 PM

Zoom finesse worm
Net bait finesse worm
Robo worms
KVD finesse worms and fat baby
Berkley Havoc finesse worm
Yamamoto cut tail
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/02/16 04:56 PM

Those of you using Roboworms really should give Double ZZ a try.
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Drop Shot Bait - 02/02/16 07:25 PM

The Stike King KVD Dream Shot in KVD Magic will work just about anywhere in the country and flat out catches fish!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum