Texas Fishing Forum

Side imaging up front?

Posted By: Chris_K

Side imaging up front? - 01/29/16 05:14 PM

I'm getting a 7 inch Garmin up front. Should I get side imaging or just down?
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/29/16 05:17 PM

I like down on the front more than the side but that's just me. I use side/down/sonar on my console and just down/sonar on my bow. To me it seems like side imaging on the front doesn't help as much as down imaging.
Posted By: Viper Rods

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/29/16 05:32 PM

I use both side and down on the front with my Lowrance. The side can get distorted at times but you can still tell what the structure is.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/29/16 06:35 PM

I use it on my Humminbird, great for fishing around boat docks, those brush piles cannot hide.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/29/16 07:01 PM

Anyone have a Garmin striker series graph that they care to review?
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 03:47 AM

I don't like side up front, I just use it when idling areas from console. DownVu certainly the most important and Panoptics pretty cool, but not required.
Posted By: whnigt

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 12:32 PM

I use Humming bird up front and use side. I like it.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 12:33 PM

Yes. What I was told and experience. Where do you do most of your fishing from? The bow....yes, you want side imaging..
IMO ...
Lee
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: It's a giant!

Side Imaging----YES, it is a fishing tool.

SideVu----depends on if it has the settings to make it a fishing tool.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.

Please explain. I thought it was pretty much the same tech just named differently by each company?

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 01:23 PM

side imaging will show you not only fish but, structure. Any areas you would want to fish.
Just a matter of getting used to what your seeing, it is a different kind of view
Lee

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
side imaging will show you not only fish but, structure. Any areas you would want to fish.
Just a matter of getting used to what your seeing, it is a different kind of view
Lee

I think down scan up front a must, not only spotting the structure, getting depth, and also video gaming fish. I'm still trying to wrap my head around side scan up front though, I'm not saying it doesn't work, just when it would be better than down scan because you aren't moving around a bunch up front. Down scan is still 100% effective when you aren't moving. What does side scan look like up front when not moving? I have it, so will have to test it.

If you have side scan set up right where you are seeing everything you would on down plus getting a wider view of stuff out to the side, then I would agree. Side shows everything down does, it just doesn't show it as clear, that's why I'm not sold.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 03:50 PM

Please explain. I thought it was pretty much the same tech just named differently by each company?

Humminbirds have the adjustability to produce clear images at almost ZERO speed. A Humminbird Side Imaging unit at the bow with a Side Imaging transducer on the trolling motor is very common.

I took this screen shot while fishing along a rip rap area, You can see in the DI view that the school of shad changed direction when I turned on the trolling motor for a short burst, note the GPS speed:

Another slow screen shot:

This shows scanning a spawning area and I turned the trolling motor several times. The single bed and double beds on the left side is actually those on the right side. The motor was turned 180 degrees when those were recorded:

Adjusted correctly, the screen does not scroll fast enough to record the motor turning.

FISHING TOOL

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 04:26 PM

Humminbirds have the adjustability to produce clear images at almost ZERO speed. A Humminbird Side Imaging unit at the bow with a Side Imaging transducer on the trolling motor is very common.

very cool, that works great!

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 04:29 PM

One more fishing tool example:
I was using the trolling motor checking a feeder creek after a summer rain storm to see if the cooler water would have fish moving from the warmer lake water. I watched the creek channel (on the right) from a distance so I would not scare any fish that may match the pattern I was looking for.

About 1/2 way down the screen shot on the right in the creek is a school of small shad next to a stump. At the top of the screen on the right side in the creek channel are some bass just being recorded. I took that screen shot, cast to them and caught several before they scattered. Note the GPS speed and the Depth.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 04:34 PM

I use two HB 1199's and have screens split on both, console and bow, to show down and side imaging.
I see you also keep yours drawn in to about 50' as well. I want the clearest image possible.
Thanks for sharing....
Lee
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Lee

I think down scan up front a must, not only spotting the structure, getting depth, and also video gaming fish. I'm still trying to wrap my head around side scan up front though, I'm not saying it doesn't work, just when it would be better than down scan because you aren't moving around a bunch up front. Down scan is still 100% effective when you aren't moving. What does side scan look like up front when not moving? I have it, so will have to test it.

If you have side scan set up right where you are seeing everything you would on down plus getting a wider view of stuff out to the side, then I would agree. Side shows everything down does, it just doesn't show it as clear, that's why I'm not sold.

And I can even run a 4 screen split. grin also looks just as blurry as Wayne's and I don't have to constantly change settings.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 04:54 PM

Any Garmin users?

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Lee

And I can even run a 4 screen split. grin also looks just as blurry as Wayne's and I don't have to constantly change settings.

LOL, I can do the 4-way split with the ONIX, but don't want such small panels for each view.

Set this one up as an example:

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 05:00 PM

Any Garmin users?

I am now, just got it last month and just became pretty familiar with it last couple days on Rayburn.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 05:01 PM

Just need someone that knows how to operate their Garmin to post some similar screen shots.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 05:18 PM

Wayne, don't you have the 360 up front now? It's bound to be better than SI, right? Do you have any gill beds while using it?

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing any slow Garmin images.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 06:48 PM

Wayne, don't you have the 360 up front now? It's bound to be better than SI, right? Do you have any gill beds while using it?

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing any slow Garmin images.

I did not include that accessory in this conversation since it has no equal.

Yes I do. I ran the 360 in 2014 with one of my 1198's and then got an ONIX last year to run it since the screen has a higher resolution. I didn't eliminate SI at the bow though, use both. The 360 images are not as sharp Side Imaging since the SI crystals rotate.

This is the spawning shellcrackers:

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 06:52 PM

The 360 is very handy when fish are in cover. You can see them moving around so you know where to cast to catch them.
A couple that could not hide from me:

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 10:01 PM

thumb it's too bad for us Lowrance users that the spotlight was a joke.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/30/16 11:06 PM

thumb it's too bad for us Lowrance users that the spotlight was a joke.

Got to give Lowrance credit for trying though. The idea was good, just the function wasn't.

If some company comes up with a combo of Spotlight and Panoptix, they may have something. Imaging scanning with an array of imaging crystals.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/31/16 06:35 PM

Also with side imaging up front, couldn't you turn your trolling motor 45 degrees and see what was in front of you?
Posted By: pelican

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/31/16 08:44 PM

And SI is good in shallow water.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/31/16 11:54 PM

Also with side imaging up front, couldn't you turn your trolling motor 45 degrees and see what was in front of you?

Not really.

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/31/16 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: pelican

Is that a question or comment?
Posted By: pelican

Re: Side imaging up front? - 01/31/16 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: pelican

Is that a question or comment?