Texas Fishing Forum

Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma

Posted By: aquaholic1822

Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/14/16 06:58 PM

Has anyone ever fished these lakes? I can never find much information on lakes in Oklahoma, and these 2 interest me.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/14/16 07:09 PM

Been to McGee Creek, nice place. Alot of spotted bass.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/14/16 07:16 PM

I've fished McGee creek several times. It has a very nice state park and facilities. The water is clear on the south end and stained way up the creeks. Has a little bit of everything other than big open water. The two main creeks wind for a long ways back and turn into timbered areas. Most of the lake has rocks. South end seems to be full of smaller fish to me. Have caught a few bigger fish up the creeks in the timber.

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/14/16 07:20 PM

most of the fishing would be done in canoes/kayaks...would these two places be good for that? would one be better than the other??
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/14/16 07:49 PM

My uncle fishes McGee regularly it has some really nice fish in it not much help but that's what I know

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/14/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bugzout10
My uncle fishes McGee regularly it has some really nice fish in it not much help but that's what I know

thats more info i can find anywhere else

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/14/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: aquaholic1822
most of the fishing would be done in canoes/kayaks...would these two places be good for that? would one be better than the other??

If I was going to be paddling, I would launch at the ramp on the north side of the lake.

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/14/16 09:10 PM

Posted By: RNF

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/15/16 12:44 AM

I fish both lakes. For what you are wanting to do I would look at Turkey Creek landing on the upper end of Pine Creek. Has a campground with boat ramp.

Two large coves across from one another and lots of smaller coves just above and below them. Lots of good places to fish.

http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/Locations/TulsaDistrictLakes/Oklahoma/PineCreekLake.aspx
Posted By: Charlesg35

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/15/16 01:57 AM

I'm an Oklahoman, fish McGee Creek at least once yearly. For years my tournament club fished there 3rd week of February. Only month the smallmouth appear. Main lake points between Buster Heights and Potapo ramps. Bandit crankbaits smallies over 21". By March they disappear. Point between ramps with sizeable flat (south side) yield easy limits of largemouth on bright days w/rogue, experiment with floating or suspending. won almost every Feb tournament on that point. Great lake for small craft, wind is rarely a bother. I'm planning a Monticello trip, will likely stop at McGee Creek on the way home.
Posted By: WhiskeyTango223

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/15/16 03:58 AM

Look up Chuck Justice he guides on Mcgee he's got a facebook and a website.
Posted By: kiamichisooner

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/15/16 04:04 AM

Go get on Kiamichi River if you are in a canoe and in the area. You can unload at Rattan Landing or Frazier Creek. Frazier would be my choice.

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/15/16 04:09 AM

The river above lake Hugo would be good also.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/15/16 11:36 AM

It's been ages for me.....last time I fished that lake Chuck Justice was pulling DD's from McGee. I know there are islands close to the big ramp that produced for us....nice kentuckies swimmin' in there. Good luck!
Posted By: Northsidejoe

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/16/16 11:52 PM

I go there every April around the full moon. I've caught my two biggest bass from there. My favorite are and where I caught my biggest is just west and south of the far north boat ramp. There's a long point just west of the boat ramp. That south cove is where I caught her. The next year I caught another over 7lbs in the cut just north of this one. Green pumpkin and watermelon candy with the tails dipped in chartreuse has been the key for me. Feel free to message me if you want any more information
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/17/16 12:47 AM

McGee is an awesome and fun lake to fish. There are a TON of bass in there, spots, LMB, and smallies. I haven't seen it in years but I've had a few amazing trips to that lake.
Posted By: kiamichisooner

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/17/16 01:17 AM

I'm not telling you what to do; however these are my "home" lakes. I'm also taking into consideration you will be in a canoe or kayak.

You get a little limited on Mcgee in this situation. Here are my recommendations.

Pine Creek- launch on Little River Sourh. This gives you easy access to Rock Creek which has been good to me over the years. You can also launch at Turkey Creek and fish from there.

Kiamichi River- the river feeds Hugo Lake. I would launch at Frazier Creek landing. Frazier has excellent fishing. I've won tournaments and never left Frazier. Great access to very good fishing from a Canoe. This would be my choice.

Mcgee- this gets tough out of a canoe. If you were dead set then I would use the Grassy Hollow landing. It's on the other end of the lake from Buster Heights landing. I haven't used this ramp in years so in not sure of the road conditions off of Highway 3. Used to be a little rough.

Hope this helps.

As an extra you could always look at Sardis. It gets rough though when the wind gets up.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/17/16 03:16 AM

I've never fished them but I know McGee has some bigguns. Have you looked into Sardis? I've fished it twice now and really like it. Caught my first DD there in October
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/17/16 04:36 AM

X2 this is good info also my home lakes
Originally Posted By: kiamichisooner
I'm not telling you what to do; however these are my "home" lakes. I'm also taking into consideration you will be in a canoe or kayak.

You get a little limited on Mcgee in this situation. Here are my recommendations.

Pine Creek- launch on Little River Sourh. This gives you easy access to Rock Creek which has been good to me over the years. You can also launch at Turkey Creek and fish from there.

Kiamichi River- the river feeds Hugo Lake. I would launch at Frazier Creek landing. Frazier has excellent fishing. I've won tournaments and never left Frazier. Great access to very good fishing from a Canoe. This would be my choice.

Mcgee- this gets tough out of a canoe. If you were dead set then I would use the Grassy Hollow landing. It's on the other end of the lake from Buster Heights landing. I haven't used this ramp in years so in not sure of the road conditions off of Highway 3. Used to be a little rough.

Hope this helps.

As an extra you could always look at Sardis. It gets rough though when the wind gets up.
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/17/16 06:25 AM

Fish the boat ramps at McGee...many tourney there and all fish released are there for awhile anyway. McGee Creek is a GREAT lake! Never been to Pine Creek.
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/17/16 12:56 PM

Both are good lakes. I know that tri lakes bass club fishes pine creek and it always takes over 20 pounds to win there. I think Mcgee creek is a slot lake. Do not overlook Broken Bow for great fishing and beauty. There was a lot of giants caught there last February on jerkbaits.

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/17/16 04:03 PM

thanks guys...this is a lot of good information!

We do annual trips to broken bow and fish the lake and river from canoes and kayaks. We are looking at alternate places to go since broken bow and the river are so vulnerable when a big rain comes along
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/17/16 10:01 PM

The north ramp of carson creek on broken bow is now open. I would think all the lakes in southeast Oklahoma are past full.
Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: Pine Creek and McGee Creek Oklahoma - 01/18/16 01:51 AM

Raymond Gary is a nice lake in that area and it's not that big. Idle only lake as well so it'd be perfect for what you're fishing in.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum