Texas Fishing Forum

What makes merchants think being rude to customers...

Posted By: Razorback

What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 07:16 PM

is okay and a good way to do business?

I just came from a shop in Longview. I took in three reels to be repaired and cleaned and bought $56 in lures. I told the guy at the counter that I had a broken trolling motor mounting bracket that I need to replace and he told me to go talk to the guy sitting at a desk in the back, apparently the manager or owner.

I had talked to this guy on the phone last week and briefly described the problem. I was at work and didn't remember the model number on my trolling motor so this morning before I drove over from Tyler I went out and wrote down the model number of my Motor Guide, measured the shaft of the TM, measured the length of the mounting bracket itself, and measured the diameter of the trolling motor shaft.

I went back, handed him the piece of paper with all the information, and told him I would like to buy or order a mount. He looked at it and said, "This doesn't tell me anything." He asked me if I had taken off the door that clamps down to hold the trolling motor on the bracket and I said I hadn't, that I hoped that all the information I had brought him would be enough to look up what I need...and that right now although the mount is broken the clamp/door are holding the trolling motor in place and that I have a tournament I am fishing tomorrow and I didn't want to take it apart beforehand.

He looked at me and said, "You're going to fish with that bracket broken? What are you going to do when your trolling motor falls off in the lake?" I told him that I had kept fishing with it after I broke it, not knowing it was broken, and that I guessed I hope the wire going to the transducer will keep me from losing it. I wondered if he thought I was so stupid I had never considered that possibility and thought it was a rude comment, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and went with it.

At that point I said, "The mount if really just a hinge. As long as we know the diameter of the shaft and it holds the trolling motor in place, and it will raise and lower the trolling motor, isn't that what is mainly important?"

At that point he looked at my cell phone case and said, and I quote, "You got one of them fancy phones, why didn't you take a picture of it." I told him I guess I didn't think about that, and not to worry about it any more because I will take it to the shop next week and have them get me a replacement. He said "fine" and continued to look and sound as grumpy and unfriendly as he had been.

I finally said, "I guess I don't understand why you are acting so irritated with me." I went into his shop and tried to spend my money with him. What about that situation makes him think treating me like I'm some sort of idiot wasting his time is a good way to do business.

I don't understand some merchants, and frankly I don't know how they stay in business. But maybe he treats other people better and I got special treatment.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 07:27 PM

Was his name Bill Kells?? roflmao

Seriously, I would take my business someplace else. I think Steve's Props still does trolling motor repair. They are really good and great to deal with.

Posted By: Spiderman

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 07:33 PM

East Texas Sonar is in Longview, they have repaired a number of trolling motors for me.

Owner is kinda hard of hearing but their work is 1st rate!

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Seriously, I would take my business someplace else. I think Steve's Props still does trolling motor repair. They are really good and great to deal with.

Is Bill the guy who used to run Rainswood? If so, my fishing buddy and I have experienced him, too.

I find it pretty hard to believe it would be impossible for a guy who deals in trolling motor parts and accessories to figure out which mount(s) may be compatible when he knows the model number of the trolling motor and the dimensions of it and the mount that came with it. It seemed like since I didn't do things his way he was POed and didn't want to bother with me.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback

Is Bill the guy who used to run Rainswood? If so, my fishing buddy and I have experienced him, too

That would be him! Bill would give you the shirt off his back if he liked you. Only problem was, he only liked about 4 people. roflmao
Posted By: RickS

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 08:17 PM

He made no effort to help you and I would have taken my reels elsewhere for his attitude!
I also would contact the owner of that business and tell him your experience has probably lost your business and many more in your circle.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 08:24 PM

I recently called a worm manuafacture and asked them if they had a bulk rate price he said no. I was a little surprised but ok. He said some reason that was dumb to me. So asked if I could buy 500 and just have them all in one bag instead of 50 separate bags he said no. Thought that was odd his shop would've saved 49 bag tags and 50 small bags for 1 big one. So as I'm thinking about he just blurts out and this is his exact words. ( so are you gonna buy some man? ) kind of struck me as unprofessional, was t very customer friendly. Guess he thought I was just tire kicking or what. For now on I'll just buy them from tackle warehouse and just wait the time it takes them. Btw I bought 50 bags. I think he even charged me shipping. Tackle warehouse would've been free shipping
Posted By: george Greider

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 08:27 PM

I have a mounting bracket from an 80 lb motorguide tour that you can have. it is in Houston and I will be in Gladewater in the near future.let me know if it will help.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 08:32 PM

When I first started reading your post I thought this was going to be some dude cussing you and the throwing you out of his shop.

Sounds like his attitude and demeanor was not the best, but if that is all he said and you got your feelings hurt enough to write that long post, maybe you are a tad bit on the sensitive side.

Oh and if you are fishing with a badly broken bracket, your trolling motor can fall in the lake and if you know it's broken and fish anyways, you're a tad bit stupid. Been there done that...
Posted By: ssmith

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 08:55 PM

everybody has a bad day now an then if you don't like the way you were treated then go to another place of business that meets your expectation of customer service.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:09 PM

I know him, thats just him. Guess most of his clients just know him and understand him. He has done a lot of work for me and did a dang fine job. Buddy told me and warned me about his personality. Once I got past we got to talking and he is super nice guy. I would probably look at you and say something if you were running g a TM that was broken.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:17 PM

I will tend to agree that there are a lot of marine dealers out there with an attitude issue. Not all of them but they're there.....Just my assessment. I won't spend with the ones that are that way. I don't tell them about it, just don't come back. Hopefully, there can be some positive pulled from this thread.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:24 PM

customer service is one of the new oxymorons .. fish
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:29 PM

what happened to bill kells is he still around or what
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:43 PM

I can't stand to deal with a jerk. Take your trolling motor to Jones trolling motor, they are the best.

http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Devil Horse
what happened to bill kells is he still around or what

Don't know but he was a piece of work. I stayed there a lot in the 90's and got along with him a little, but I wouldn't say I was one of his "top 4". Eventually, I decided to stay other places that didn't give out that kinda treatment. That dark haired female employee of his could really cook a good burger, though. Sure miss those days of good 'ole Mutha Fork.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
When I first started reading your post I thought this was going to be some dude cussing you and the throwing you out of his shop.

Sounds like his attitude and demeanor was not the best, but if that is all he said and you got your feelings hurt enough to write that long post, maybe you are a tad bit on the sensitive side.

Oh and if you are fishing with a badly broken bracket, your trolling motor can fall in the lake and if you know it's broken and fish anyways, you're a tad bit stupid. Been there done that...

If I was fishing with his trolling motor I might see the need for his irritation, but since it is mine and I'm the one taking the risk I'm not sure why that would PO him so bad.

None of that changes the fact that I went into his business, tried to spend my money with him, and got nothing but an attitude from the instant I met him.

BTW, there's a difference between stupid and assessing a situation and deciding to take a risk anyway. What's the worst that is going to happen if it comes loose? I'll cuss a little, say, "Oh well, I guess that wasn't the best idea", and buy another trolling motor? The one I have is ten years old so I guess I am willing to "roll the dice" with it, so to speak.

But...thanks for valuable your input anyway.
Posted By: DJB

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:51 PM

If it's ET Sonar that's par for the course. Was in a bind a few weeks back and needed a hummingbird tm bracket. Not only did they charge me triple the price but he never even said thanks for the business. If it weren't for 4 inch ringworms I would never go in the place ! Everybody tells me he just can't hear, maybe but his rude.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 09:51 PM

After Bill sold Rainswood they moved up to the Panhandle. I haven't heard from him since they sold but you're right Millie could fix a mean cheeseburger!

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback

If I was fishing with his trolling motor I might see the need for his irritation, but since it is mine and I'm the one taking the risk I'm not sure why that would PO him so bad.

None of that changes the fact that I went into his business, tried to spend my money with him, and got nothing but an attitude from the instant I met him.

BTW, there's a difference between stupid and assessing a situation and deciding to take a risk anyway. What's the worst that is going to happen if it comes loose? I'll cuss a little, say, "Oh well, I guess that wasn't the best idea", and buy another trolling motor? The one I have is ten years old so I guess I am willing to "roll the dice" with it, so to speak.

But...thanks for valuable your input anyway.

By your response it appears you are a little overly sensitive in my opinion, and guess what he can tell you that you are stupid if he wants and then you can go elsewhere and spend your money as well.

It's not like he called you a lot of names and question your manhood for acting somewhat like a female

I am sorry the dude hurt your feelings, get a hug it will make thing better laugh
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 10:18 PM

+1
Posted By: SAKS

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 10:38 PM

I agree with you. To me it's never OK to just be blatantly rude and would go elsewhere but don't let it get you all worked up.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 11:12 PM

No excuse but whoever he dealt with before you might have impacted it. I work retail and there are some real A holes out there, it's very easy to let one of them ruin a day.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 11:27 PM

I can see at least two other people in this thread have had the same experience I had with this guy, so I didn't get special treatment. LOL.

I'm not "overly worked up". I just wonder what makes some merchants think it's okay to treat their customers that way. I have run a business before. Proving to your customers that they are wrong or stupid is a good way to go out of business.
Posted By: 361V

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
I can't stand to deal with a jerk. Take your trolling motor to Jones trolling motor, they are the best.

http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/
Interesting advertising here^^^^. Absolutely no address or hint of where they are located in their add. What town are they located in?
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 11:42 PM

That is very unprofessional. However from his side I can understand the irritation. Nothing is worst than guessing on parts and mounts that can not be returned. He just had a very poor way of communicating this to you. Serial numbers are the absolute only way of looking up parts. If he did look it up and it happened to be wrong. He would have an angry customer. That costed him money, and he still has to fix the problem. Take the serial number and a few picture back to him. I'm sure he will be appreciative, and you might have a new buddy. You need to have your information.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/09/16 11:56 PM

I don't go there just for the very reason Razorback stated. He isn't being overly sensitive.

Here is a funny story.

Reaction Innovation has a color called Homer Special that is a special run color. East Texas Sonar carries most all of their products. I knew they didn't have the color because I called to check, and was told that they carry every color made in a Beaver, so the person on the other end of the line basically called me stupid for asking about a color that R.I. doesn't make.
The next day I had my buddy go up there and ask for some Beavers in Homer Special.
Well he was berated for asking about a color that didn't exist, so he pulls out a package with a couple in it. They get on the phone with R.I. and had to eat a little crow. Glad their throat was big enough for them to swallow it.

Basically everyone that walks in is a D.A.
Posted By: Gary Ables

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 02:17 AM

I wouldn't go back there,a customer should be treated with respect regardless of the problem.I get the same response from Southwest Parts in Dallas where I get my reels cleaned !

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 02:17 AM

Truth is he is probably just a hard individual to deal with, I have had experiences with people that act like that and if they do an outstanding job it's just something you have to put up with if you care to. If not ust take your money elsewhere.

I am not making excuses for him because I have no idea who he is, but maybe something happened in his life to make him this way, or maybe he is just a butt head. LOL

Life's too short to be grouchy grin
Posted By: 4976sc

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 02:32 AM

Why doesn't the idiot just buy some hearing aids if he can't hear??

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: 4976sc
Why doesn't the idiot just buy some hearing aids if he can't hear??

Huh?

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 03:08 AM

Lol. Idk. A few people said that the guy seems a little grumpy because he doesn't hear well, so maybe he should purchase some hearing aids
Posted By: David Burton

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 03:17 AM

Huh?

Just kidding!
What is it about boating and fishing businesses that draw these gruff types?
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 03:27 AM

Doug are you admitting that you're a tad bit stupid?
Posted By: B-rader

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 03:28 AM

Doug , how is the guy being over sensitive? There are 20 other guys that are happy to take his money and be respectful at the same time . If you do business with people that are disrespectful who's stupid here?
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 03:29 AM

I'm really shocked at the few defending this grump's attitude and I don't think he is overly sensitive. Just wants to be treated with respect, especially if he is spending money. Sounds like he's like this on a regular basis. So, you're right. Life is too short to be a jerk every day no matter what is happened...........everybody has problems they have to deal with!

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 03:41 AM

The golf business is the same way. I guess they just think they are better than you, kinda like all the stiffs that get mad if you ask about Rayburn
Posted By: trailer hook

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 03:55 AM

He's grumpy, I remember he was fun to get all fired up

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt
Doug , how is the guy being over sensitive? There are 20 other guys that are happy to take his money and be respectful at the same time . If you do business with people that are disrespectful who's stupid here?

Well if I encountered an a-hole businessman I would handle the situation on the spot by either saying something to him or taking my business elsewhere, not by logging on line and complaining. Being dramatic and complaining is usually saved for the more sensitive and fairer sex, Just my opinion ...

Thanks for asking
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 05:17 AM

Everyone has a bad day sometimes flush_2
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 05:43 AM

Please be man enough to take it back with all of the info and report back to us. Then bash or praise accordingly.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 06:05 AM

After Bill sold Rainswood they moved up to the Panhandle. I haven't heard from him since they sold but you're right Millie could fix a mean cheeseburger!
Those were my favorite burgers on the lake til they closed up.
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 06:07 AM

Wow you guys lost me when cheeseburgers came into play
Posted By: Mayo

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 06:07 AM

Well if I encountered an a-hole businessman I would handle the situation on the spot by either saying something to him or taking my business elsewhere, not by logging on line and complaining. Being dramatic and complaining is usually saved for the more sensitive and fairer sex, Just my opinion ...

Thanks for asking

He posted his unpleasant experience with a tackle shop on a fishing forum. In today's age with social media and customer review feedback this is really common. There isn't anything wrong with alerting others about transactions like this. Matter of fact this has shown that others have experienced the same kind of treatment. This wasn't just a bad day but clearly defines the culture of this company. Knowing to take my hard earned money somewhere else without having to experience what others have because someone spoke up is a plus in my book.

You trolling him and questioning his manhood is uncalled for and pretty [censored] immature.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Mayo

Thanks for asking

He posted his unpleasant experience with a tackle shop on a fishing forum. In today's age with social media and customer review feedback this is really common. There isn't anything wrong with alerting others about transactions like this. Matter of fact this has shown that others have experienced the same kind of treatment. This wasn't just a bad day but clearly defines the culture of this company. Knowing to take my hard earned money somewhere else without having to experience what others have because someone spoke up is a plus in my book.

You trolling him and questioning his manhood is uncalled for and pretty [censored] immature.

how is me posting my opinion on the situation "trolling"?

did ask anyone to side with me?

did I ask anyone to agree with me?

Nope

I simply said anyone, in my opinion, would handle their business face to face rather than logging online and complaining

What's amazing is how people get so bent out of shape with anyone that disagrees with them on anything they post online.

Sorry those are my opinions and I think I am entitled to express them, I did not ask for your approval.

thanks for you input, I value your opinion...
Posted By: pagemaster

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 06:31 AM

Doug. You don't like the man complaining about bad service, but you will take the time to complain about his post.
Who is a tad sensitive!!!!!! I'm sure with your 7500 posts you have not complained at all. Let the man vent. Keeps me
from ever having to do business with that shop.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By: pagemaster
Doug. You don't like the man complaining about bad service, but you will take the time to complain about his post.
Who is a tad sensitive!!!!!! I'm sure with your 7500 posts you have not complained at all. Let the man vent. Keeps me
from ever having to do business with that shop.

OK sorry frown
Posted By: WAWI

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 06:43 AM

Customers can be a royal PITA. Sometimes you must edit them.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 02:20 PM

3501 Washington St, Texarkana, AR 71854

I am serious, they are very good. best I have ever deal with on Trolling motors.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 02:33 PM

LMAO..Loved Bill. Just had to know how to take him. I sure miss Millies hamburgers. There and the Hardware store made some of the best burgers I've ever eaten.

Gman
Posted By: Slade

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 04:03 PM

Just go see the old Cajun on lake fork on 515. That guy can fix anything and he will crack you up if you have a sense of humor and like to break balls with people.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 08:09 PM

Was his name Richard Noggin?

If not, he should definitely consider changing it cause he sounds like a real *ick Head
Posted By: pinesjunkie

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 09:11 PM

Sorry you had to put up with that but thats just how the old man is lol. Now if you bring your boat up there they are great at repairing or helping you find your problem and once you start talking with the guy he's pretty smart on his stuff. Most of the locals use him due to location and good work just not the nicest guys around.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/10/16 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Slade
Just go see the old Cajun on lake fork on 515. That guy can fix anything and he will crack you up if you have a sense of humor and like to break balls with people.

Boy that is the truth. That guy is one of my favorite people ever. He will keep you laughing and if you can't laugh at yourself..... Don't go see him.

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/11/16 12:47 AM

I didn't write my post to try to talk people out of doing business with anyone. In fact, if you notice I never mentioned the name of the business at all.

By the way, I used the trolling motor all day today and it didn't fall in the lake. I won the tournament, too. Maybe not all customers are as clueless as a few merchants seem to think they are.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/12/16 01:18 AM

Rainswood is the only place I used to stay and built a friendship with "Bitching Bill"Kells. We always stayed there because he would let us bring our Shnauzer, in fact when me and my wife would leave to go fishing after eating breakfast he would gruffly say "You can just leave that dog with me". When we would arrive later for the open faced Chili cheeseburger, Bill would be sitting in his chair holding that little nauzer. He would do that for the whole week everytime we were there. Yes Bill moved up in the panhandle close to Perryton where his wife was originally from and his best friend Lonnie lives on a Ranch. Last I heard from Bill was he was very sick with cancer. If you really wanted to get his goat all you had to do was ask for biscuits on a weekday. Bill Kells was a good man and a great fisherman, he caught more than 50 ten pounders on Fork. I was with him when he caught 48,52,& 53.
Posted By: Angler's Marine

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/13/16 01:56 AM

Bad day or not, in my shop you will get treated with a smile and a joke or two and leave happier than you came in. Some people are mad at the world everyday for reasons we will never know. I wake up blessed everyday!!
Posted By: str1249

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/13/16 04:50 PM

Geez Doug, You could have just shook your head, kept quiet, and nobody would have known you were a putz but your mother.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/13/16 06:33 PM

Some folks are just that way, some have issues going on in their lives that we don't know about....house caught fire, wife has cancer, both knees are extremely arthritic....we never know.

I've always tried to treat anybody and any customer just as I would expect to be treated.

Know what?..It's always worked great.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/13/16 07:31 PM

I remember the first time I met Bill at Rainswood. He was geeting on to me about something and I was wearing a Vals Landing cap so he was hitting me pretty hard. I finally asked him " When did you get out?" He asked me "What do you mean, out of what?" I said "Jail!" He said he had never been to jail and I spent a couple of minuites going back and forth with him. Finally I said " Aren't you (fake name)?" He said "No!" I walked out with a couple of my fishing buddies who were crying they were laughing so hard. Everytime I would go in there after that he would give me some pretty rough looks and I would always seem to come up with something off the wall and we would go back and forth but I would always have a smile on my face and I think after a while he kind of enjoyed the times I would go in there. From then on I always looked kind of forward to going in there and couldn't help myself because I like everyone else had to have one of those hamburgers. I also had a relationship with Mr. Axton and he could be pretty rough sometimes also. Sure miss those days and all of the different people.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/13/16 08:15 PM

Laugh. Some funny stuff on this thread.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: What makes merchants think being rude to customers... - 01/13/16 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Mayo

Thanks for asking

how is me posting my opinion on the situation "trolling"?

did ask anyone to side with me?

did I ask anyone to agree with me?

Nope

I simply said anyone, in my opinion, would handle their business face to face rather than logging online and complaining

What's amazing is how people get so bent out of shape with anyone that disagrees with them on anything they post online.

Sorry those are my opinions and I think I am entitled to express them, I did not ask for your approval.

thanks for you input, I value your opinion...

No you are not trolling, asking anyone to side with you, or asking anyone to agree with you. But I am pretty sure as Brad pointed out you did in fact inadvertently call yourself stupid.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum