Texas Fishing Forum

What are some great books on bass fishing

Posted By: John-Mark

What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/12/15 05:36 PM

What books changed some of you?
Or you really learned a lot?
I am looking for books on pattern and fish behavior as well as structure fishing
Off shore structure fishing is something I really enjoy and can't get enough info on
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Carry on
Posted By: Slade

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/12/15 10:17 PM

In pursuit of Giant Bass by Bill Murphy is a great book.
There is another one I read from Hammons or something like that, I can't remember the name of it right now but if I find it will let you know.
Posted By: Greatwhitefather

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/12/15 10:50 PM

Go on eBay and search for "Spoonplugging" by Buck Perry----or just search Buck Perry.
He is the father of structure fishing---even coined the term.
More wisdom in his little series of books than anywhere. Enjoy.

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/12/15 11:04 PM

gracias!
Posted By: BillyVanWard

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/12/15 11:08 PM

Any work by the late, great Doug Hannon, aka The Bass Professor, is very helpful to understanding the behavior of big bass. It's doubtful that anyone has caught more double digit bass than Doug. He was a great guy and a friend of mine and his unexpected passing still saddens me.

The Buck Perry stuff is indeed excellent, too.

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/12/15 11:13 PM

thanks i have " in pursuit of giant bass" by bill murphy and its a great read just not really what i was looking for... i am not disappointed with what i got from the read of this book however his discussions were about lake not around here in Texas that I fish on a regular basis and he even states that in the book...
I will check out Doug's books and Buck Perry thanks all

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/12/15 11:23 PM

Just typed in "Buck Perry" on yahoo. Lots of good reading there, including his bio. If you can find his nine-volume little books on eBay, be the best thing you can get your hands on.
You're gonna' enjoy studying his teachings.
The bait he invented(the Spoonplug) never did take off, but there are hundreds of lures today that will do what the Spoonplug did.
But,you can still find them on eBay if you have an interest.
Have fun and enjoy yourself. It's fascinating to learn, but it does take a little work. You seem like you might be seriously interested in leearning.

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/12/15 11:57 PM

Just typed in "Buck Perry" on yahoo. Lots of good reading there, including his bio. If you can find his nine-volume little books on eBay, be the best thing you can get your hands on.
You're gonna' enjoy studying his teachings.
The bait he invented(the Spoonplug) never did take off, but there are hundreds of lures today that will do what the Spoonplug did.
But,you can still find them on eBay if you have an interest.
Have fun and enjoy yourself. It's fascinating to learn, but it does take a little work. You seem like you might be seriously interested in leearning.

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/13/15 12:01 AM

Buck Perry is at the top of my list! thanks
Posted By: SC-001

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/13/15 12:40 AM

http://bassfishingarchives.com/features/bass-wars-25-years-later
Posted By: twstephens77

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/13/15 05:23 AM

The largemouth bass book by In-Fisherman is incredible...I picked up a copy at Half-Priced books and have been very pleased.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/13/15 06:30 AM

about one of the good books mentioned: "....his discussions were about lake not around here in Texas that I fish on a regular basis..."

Hint: Bass in the lakes you fish are little different (if any) from bass in other Southern impoundments, and in fact, still similar to bass in most other areas. This is assuming apples to apples comparisons of the sub-species.

Attractive location characteristics, why they are, and positioning are key things one can learn that apply to any body of water. You don't have to find material specifically written about Texas lakes for it to be valuable.

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/13/15 06:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
about one of the good books mentioned: "....his discussions were about lake not around here in Texas that I fish on a regular basis..."

Hint: Bass in the lakes you fish are little different (if any) from bass in other Southern impoundments, and in fact, still similar to bass in most other areas. This is assuming apples to apples comparisons of the sub-species.

Attractive location characteristics, why they are, and positioning are key things one can learn that apply to any body of water. You don't have to find material specifically written about Texas lakes for it to be valuable.

i do agree with you... there is much to learn from all the books I'm sure and the one i mentioned specifically ... however the author stated that, in regards to his info on structure he was talking about specific kinds of lakes and not lakes around me He also stated that his information would not translate to other types of lakes... behavior of LM Bass I agree with you will be the same however I am trying to study structure fishing ... therefor I want to learn about Bass behavior around the kind of structure present in the lakes I fish... for example I don't need to learn about fishing lakes that are 100 feet deep as those bass will relate to structure different on some level than bass in a lake that has a deepest point of 35 feet...Yes I know bass will behave the same in general but they will behave the same around similar structure and cover.... So I am i search of books and any info regarding the kind of structure we see here in most Texas lakes....
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 01:16 AM

Sowbelly by Monte Burke.

It is more of a diary of several guys that have devoted their lives to the pursuit of truly GOLIATH bass. Some to the point of almost ruining their lives. Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 01:53 AM

I've read several and they were pretty good. KVD has 2 books and Mike Iaconelli (misspelled) has a decent one, not a lot of fishing info in it though. Denny Brauer has a pretty good one with quite a bit of info in it. Doug Hannons was good but I think his info is better for Florida, which is where he fished. Roland Martins book was good. The In-Fisherman series was good. The North American fishing club had a decent series too.

Honestly the only book I've read and didn't like was by Tom Mann Sr. "Think like a bass", I believe it was called. It was all about his arrogance and not much fishing info in it.

I need to check out a few that the fellas mentioned.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Sowbelly by Monte Burke.

It is more of a diary of several guys that have devoted their lives to the pursuit of truly GOLIATH bass. Some to the point of almost ruining their lives. Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down.

I just ordered this one.

The Buck Perry books are great!!
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 06:02 AM

Buck Perry's home study course the most detail and straight forward education in bass/fish and structure plus has more detail on mapping then any book I know of or have seen. John hopes book is good as well. Search for "John Hope funnel points" on here and you will probably learn somethings as I did. Neither are trying to sell you a lure or equipment. Buck covers everything you think of in the home study course. Go see Clark Reehm at Sam Rayburn if have the money. He can do map study and then go out on the water and show you how to find and catch fish on structure. It is all about timing, he proved it to me. We hit the same structure/location at different times and when they were there the sonar was solid with arches and it did not take many casts to figure out they were there. Now given he knew which structure the fish used to feed. I guess that is the tough part eliminating structure and knowing the season and conditions that should eliminate the structure. There is reason why buck Perry used trolling and the aforementioned is the reason. Today with the high end electronics you know if there is fish there without casting. But you still have to catch one to know for sure what they are. If they are eating it will not take many casts to know it is a feeding area during that season and conditions. Wish I could fish more so I could figure this out even more but family and work comes first. Good luck
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 02:27 PM

Strongly recommend Ikes book.

A great story of total commitment to winning the classic, in spite of everything it cost him ( mainly his first marriage) success came at a big price for him. A lot of folks don't like him. He has a camera on him all the time, most would not like most of us if that was the same case!!!

Anybody got a "spoonplugging" they want to sell, cheapest I can find is $20 w/o shipping even on Amazon.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 02:50 PM

As mentioned Sow Belly is a good read.

Bill Murphys book is like my bible. First read it when I was like 12 and still refer to it often.

Its dated... the gear is. But the ideas are not.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 03:01 PM

IKE's, a great read!
Posted By: DCmac

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 05:38 PM

Too bad Herter never got around to writing a book on bass fishing!
Posted By: brlcr12

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 05:48 PM

I love In-Fisherman's LARGEMOUTH BASS. Along with great tips and strategies it also tells about the history of bass fishing as well as bass fishing tournament history. It was published in the late 80's so all the information is up to around 1987. Highly recommend.
http://www.amazon.com/Largemouth-Bass-In-Fisherman-handbook-Strategies/dp/0929384113

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 07:55 PM

The In Fisherman guys are desiples of Buck Perry. They all used to also write for a magazine called Fishing Facts. Perry used to write for FF.
Perry is the father of it all.
His lessons and teachings will absolutely apply to East Texas power plant lakes.
I know you all have electronics, but a US geological survey map of your lake area will specifically get you to what should be sanctuaries, migration routes and scatter(feeding) points. THEN you can and should use your electronics to proof your map interpretations. The migration routes must have structure.
Have fun, and enjoy learning.
Posted By: IowaBassMan

Re: What are some great books on bass fishing - 12/14/15 08:06 PM

"Knowing Bass" is a good one. Reads a bit like a text book; but, it was written by the Director of Research for Berkley. I learned a lot with this one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum