Texas Fishing Forum

Rain gear

Posted By: Northsidejoe

Rain gear - 11/28/15 01:40 AM

I am looking at buying some new rain gear this year. I am looking at Bass Pro 100mph and Pro Qualifier as well as Academy H2O express and the Frabill F2 Surge suit. Has anyone bought these suits? I am wondering about the difference between the Pro Qualifier and the 100mph suit. They are basically the same price. Are they worth the extra money over the H2O or the Frabill?
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 01:42 AM

Research it on here, been discussed several times..
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 01:46 AM

I recently bought the H20 expresses suit and returned it. First day out in the rain and I got soaked through. Gore-Tex is the way to go. 100mph are on sale at BPS right now. Also, shop around, even on here, I've seen a lot of great deals.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 01:49 AM

Didn't matter today to me
I had 3 sets on at the same time today and still got a little moist
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Didn't matter today to me
I had 3 sets on at the same time today and still got a little moist

This is a family site Sir!............ roflmao
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 02:08 AM

I tried Frogg Toggs, got soaked. Now am trying Academy H2O bibs and coat.
If and when I buy another it will be Fabrill !
I have read too many reports on how good they perform.
JMO...
Good luck and God Bless
Lee
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I recently bought the H20 expresses suit and returned it. First day out in the rain and I got soaked through. Gore-Tex is the way to go. 100mph are on sale at BPS right now. Also, shop around, even on here, I've seen a lot of great deals.

My h2o suit has been great.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 02:34 AM

I have the cabellas bibs and a bass pro qualifier jacket. Lost the bibs at a bar one night mad When I bought the new bibs, cabellas had em on sale cheaper than BPS.
I made it thru noon today and was dry untill I drove thru a down pour and my face got all wet and it ran down my neck. I tried my phace mask but it fogged up on me. I think on a day like today, you need two sets, one for the first half of the day, then one for the 2nd half. I recently ordered some lightweight goretex by Marmont Co. who specializes in mountain climbing gear. Gonna wear them over some insulated coveralls Sunday.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden

This, I just sprayed Scotch Guard on the seams and this thing is as water tight as it gets in a rainstorm. thumb
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

This, I just sprayed Scotch Guard on the seams and this thing is as water tight as it gets in a rainstorm. thumb

thumb
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 03:20 AM

I have the 100mph stuff from BPS. It works great. Fits great. And is a good deal when on sale. That said. Sometimes it rains soooo hard that nothing is gonna keep you 100% dry. And I mean nothing. The nice thing about the 100mph stuff is its lined and is also loose enough to add layers underneath. I fished today in them with sweat pants and two t shirts underneath. Stayed dry enough and warm enough to spend most of the day on the water. Hands and feet covered with Gore-Tex too. Have 100mph gloves for boating and Glacier Gloves for fishing. Use Timberland Gore-Tex shoes. With wool socks. Only thing really exposed is my face....but, "no shave November" is helping there. Haha.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 03:21 AM

I have both XPS and 100 mph. 50 up to 65 degrees I use the XPS below 50 I use 100 mph. Below 40 I will put the fleece liner in the 100 mph parka. Warm and dry with both suits. I fish year round and they both work great.
Posted By: James Weir

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 03:31 AM

I've been in the worst wind and rain with the 100mph. I was out there today too. I stay completely dry. If BPS has em on sale, i'd get it.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 03:52 AM

My BPS Goretex is 14 years old and still going strong.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 03:53 AM

Goretex or bust no comparison BPS or Cabelas or Simms all will keep u warm and dry
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 04:00 AM

I've had Cabelas Guide Wear that was awesome! I love my new Stormr suit though! Best I've ever had!
Posted By: ROBERT HARGROVE

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 04:49 AM

bps 100 mph suit off 100.00
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 05:03 AM

I have a Guide Wear set for most of the year and an Arctic Armor set for the winter. Wind and rain does not deter me anymore. Lightning still does.
Posted By: guntz67

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 05:31 AM

+1 same here
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 05:46 AM

Pro Qualifier and stay warm and dry no matter what.
Posted By: backatit

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 06:04 AM

I have an extra 100mph suit I would sell. XXL looks new
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 06:22 AM

You can stay warm and dry while swimming in these. roflmao Plenty of freedom to move around in as well. I don't use a full suit, but only a dry top over my waders. Wear a goose down jacket underneath on coldest days if you size up enough. My rod guides will freeze up before I get too cold and wet to fish.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-Mens-Icon-Drysuit

http://www.gul.com/products/sail/mens/drysuits/shadow-mens-halo-zip-drysuit

http://www.stohlquist.com/apparel/drysuits/ez.html
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 06:40 AM

My brand new H2O bibs did pretty good Thursday. I'd say 4 to 4 1/2 stars out of five. Butt was a tad damp when all was said and done. I think it was from me sitting on a soaked seat at times fishing. Bought a set of Cabela's extreme guidewear today and got a killer deal. Got both for 280.00. I think the Gore Tex will be the difference maker.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 06:51 AM

Have the Pro Qualifier set with liner. Takes same liner as 100mph. Dry and warm. Catch them on sale and bout good as it gets.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: tx_basser
My BPS Goretex is 14 years old and still going strong.

I bought my BPS Goretex in 2000. Sat in the rain for 4 hours yesterday and didn't get wet at all. I don't believe they make them anymore, though, changed to Pro-qualifier?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 02:01 PM

Check cabelas bargain cave for discounted goretex stuff. Regardless, goretex is the only way to go
Posted By: tommyc

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Check cabelas bargain cave for discounted goretex stuff. Regardless, goretex is the only way to go

+1
Find this stuff on sale. Bought my Cebelas gortex parka for $129 years ago. Awesome gear.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 03:22 PM

Kuiu

Chugache pants and jacket.

Stretches and remains waterproof through the stretch.
Posted By: buton

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 04:00 PM

someone on the forum recommended the gander mountain rain gear

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...et&i=433109

i went and took a look at it and i liked it, is not so expensive, very comfortable and the neoprene half glove is a great idea.

i bought the bibs and jacket.
Posted By: BrotherB

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 04:11 PM

I have size large bibs and jacket HuK gear that is new I would be willing to sell if interested I just cut the tags off them
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 04:28 PM

100MPH!!! Especially at sale price now.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 04:35 PM

BPS 100 MPH !!! Especially now on sale.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 04:40 PM

Check out HUK
Posted By: Neches

Re: Rain gear - 11/28/15 04:56 PM

Which is the best the BPS 100MPH or the BPS Pro Qualifier? Whats the difference in the two?
Posted By: mikemtx

Re: Rain gear - 12/01/15 04:18 AM

For the money the Frabill F-2 Surge. Have been in some heavy rain and stayed dry.
Posted By: cwright

Re: Rain gear - 12/01/15 07:05 AM

Huk sizes are not true. - coming out with a new line in 2016 hope they are better.
Under Armer NO NO NO stay away.
Bass Pro 100 MPH is the way to go.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Rain gear - 12/01/15 09:53 AM

Cant go wrong with Cabelas Guide Wear...I like it because it is lighter than most. I am a layering guy...heavy coats and I don't get along.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Rain gear - 12/01/15 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: tommyc
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

+1
Find this stuff on sale. Bought my Cebelas gortex parka for $129 years ago. Awesome gear.

I did the same......
fished Friday & Saturday on Fayette in an absolute downpour both days (43* Friday & 39* + sleet on Saturday) and stayed warm and dry.
GO GORETEX !!!!!!
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Rain gear - 12/01/15 01:15 PM

The H20 bibs and parka work great for me. Make sure all your zippers are zipped and your pockets are velcroed. They probably are not as good as the gore-tex but I get mine dirty and slimy all the time and they have to go through the washer quite a bit. I can't see spending the money for gore-tex.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Rain gear - 12/01/15 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Neches
Which is the best the BPS 100MPH or the BPS Pro Qualifier? Whats the difference in the two?
they are close to the same. Main differences are warmth. The 100mph stuff is lined a little better. In my opinion. The 100mph IS worth the little extra. I have just the bibs and gloves. And use a Frogg Togg Toadz jacket with them. The bibs make the jacket better. Lol. Next on the list is the 100mph jacket. It's just better.

As for washing? I've had mine less than a week and have had to wash them twice now. Easy. Holding up great. The gloves are hand wash only, and falling apart after less than a dozen outings using them. I'm gonna return them this week. I don't think they should be coming unstitched. I do have huge hands though, so maybe the XXL size is too small for "man hands".
Posted By: Northsidejoe

Re: Rain gear - 01/18/16 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone. I went with the BPS 100MPH suit. I can't wait to try it out in the Spring deluge
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum