Texas Fishing Forum

should i switch oil?

Posted By: TtownBassDude

should i switch oil? - 11/16/15 11:54 PM

i have a 2001 yamaha 225 and have always used YAMALUBE. its so hard to find so should i switch to a different brand or order this from amazon? its not the same bottle that i've bought from academy.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-LUB-2STRK-W1-04-Yamalube-Watercraft-2-stroke/dp/B002GU4SFU/ref=pd_sim_263_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41X4AKajmRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=001XKZJKSV1SFFZTSHH3
Posted By: snickers

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/16/15 11:57 PM

Walmart oil will work just fine. or use quick silver 19 bucks a gallon at walmart.

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 12:02 AM

ok im just scared to switch oil brands after 14 years but its getting so dang hard to find.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 12:14 AM

I wouldn't change your oil after using it that long...just me!
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 12:22 AM

I switched to pennzoil back in 2009, and was just fine. I too was having difficulty finding it so I made the switch after lots of research. And every academy carries it.

I have a 2002 ox 66
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 12:38 AM

Just switched to Pennzoil from Yamalube and the motor ran like a top first time out. Make the switch, doesn't matter.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 02:19 AM

I get less carbon deposits around the exhaust with quicksilver than yamalube, its a noticeable difference, I can only assume the inside of the engine is the same. I've always run a cocktail of ring free and fuel stabilizer in every tank and the yamalube was still very sooty.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Brian McCarty
I wouldn't change your oil after using it that long...just me!

Haha. I read this thread a second time. And noticed that you suggest to NOT change the oil. I know what you meant. I just found it funny "verbatim".

But yes. I agree with B McC. If the oil brand you have been using all this time works, don't change brands. Also, as odd as it sounds, some engines, after years of using one brand/weight of oil, seem to react badly with a change. As in the rings and bearings tend to wear rapidly after an abrupt change. I personally don't know this as fact, but it is what I have heard from companies such as Mobil. They could have an agenda. I don't know. But, again, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 03:00 AM

so do you guys run ring free?
Posted By: whnigt

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 03:40 AM

Have same motor year model. I run Yamalube with ring free and fuel stabilizer in every tank. If you can get together with some other guys and buy a 55 gallon drum and split it up. I do that with 3-4 other people. We have enough oil to last all year.
Posted By: MtnHm203

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 10:48 AM

Go here:
Domo online -Yamaha 2M oil

Just order it online - it'll come right to your front door

laugh
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 03:06 PM

Penzoil synthetic is all I use...
Posted By: TSpencer

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 05:08 PM

I have had a 2001 Vmax 225 since new. It has many many hours. I have used every TCW3 oil under the sun. Guess what??... It runs darn near as good as day one. I'm currently using Pennzoil Premium Plus.

I've always used Seafoam though.

Also, don't think that a $35 dollar oil is better than a $20 oil like Pennzoil Premium Plus just because of the price. If the manufacturers put their label on Pennzoil it would cost $30 to $40 also. They would put "recommended" in their owners manual and the rest would be history.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 05:55 PM

I've ran quicksilver premium plus in my yamaha ever since it blew up on yamalube. Eight years now, knock on wood.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 06:05 PM

Change it to Pennzoil Premium Plus w/Sea Foam in the fuel.
Posted By: FACSR

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 06:52 PM

go too your Yamaha dealer they sell Yama-lube in bulk from a drum cost me 28.00 per gallon , but don't forget to take your empty jugs.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 07:07 PM

If your location was in your profile you might be more likely to get help.
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/17/15 10:36 PM

I've been using Lucas you might check it out

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/18/15 02:19 AM

yes i run sta bill in every tank of gas so I will continue to do that and also run some seafoam in her once a year probably. i have been reading that ring free is awesome too...looks like i'll be switching to quick silver premium plus since walmart has it for $20. thank you guys for the input
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/18/15 03:19 AM

I've got a gallon of it I can't use... Interested?
From Fun N Sun, in white jug.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/18/15 03:28 AM

After extensive research, I found many marine mechanics in the US, agree that Pennzoil Premium Plus is a what they prefer to use in their own outboards. I've been using it for several years, and really like it. Less than $20. at most academys and walmarts.
Posted By: chas1

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/18/15 03:46 PM

I like sticking with manufacture recommendations.
Posted By: Angler's Marine

Re: should i switch oil? - 11/21/15 04:48 PM

TC-W3 oil is the same regardless of the brand. There is no need in paying extra to get that logo. That pennsoil premium plus @ wal-mart has synthetic additives and is good oil for $17+.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum