Texas Fishing Forum

fisherman's shoulder!

Posted By: Fishinkev

fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 05:11 AM

Hey guys, I throw a jig and big worm alot and make alot of long cast where I'm putting alot of force on my right shoulder. I never have pain while fishing but afterwards my shoulder is very sore. As a former baseball player I know it's not a rotator issue. The soreness is in the top of the shoulder blade. Does anyone else deal with this?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 06:06 AM

how old are u?
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 06:29 AM

Hey not sure your age or condition or skill level or circumstances. At this point in time I would say take some time off to heal. Do some scouting or crappie fishing to ease the pain of fishing. Buy longer rods and better reels, I'm a bargain buyer and I got it from my dad. My dad went through the same thing and bought 2 top quality reels and long rods and it helped. Remember a finely tuned combo will cast good.... Without a lot of gas. Think of a good solid golf swing. I'm not a dr. But hope this helps. It's a bass fishing prescription from Cephusjoe... If that doesn't help I would say see a real dr or physical therapist. Seriously
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 06:38 AM

A good reel, proper rod and having it set properly then learn not to swing for the fence all the time. I used to be sore from big lures. Now I get about the same distance without forcing it.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 08:34 AM

Sounds like a damaged trapezius muscle. I had a very minor tear in my right lower trapezius from playing golf of all things, about 10 years ago and it still hurts when I fish. It's at my shoulder blade and it's an incredible annoying dull pain. And to this day I've never found anything that really helps. Naproxen sometimes helps, but not usually.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 12:33 PM

Sounds like what I have.Its right on top of the shoulder. Clavicle wearing out. It is a form of arthritis for me.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 12:57 PM

Try changing your casting style. I have very little shoulder movement when I cast a jig or T.rig. I have one hand by the reel and the other at the end of the rod and push in opposite directions to do a side arm cast. I also do a roll cast. You can get pretty good distance without exerting a lot of energy and force.

Get Ron @ Reel time rods to install you new bearings in your reel and you will get more distance with less effort also. He has done several reels for me and they cast 3 times better than before.
Posted By: 361V

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 02:19 PM

Start throwing an A-rig or big swimbaits more often. Then throwing a jig or big worm will feel like nothing! :-) JK. Getting older is always better than the alternative!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 02:19 PM

Suck it up Nancy!

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 02:20 PM

Thanks for the responses, also I'm 36

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 04:52 PM

Fish killer, not being a nancy, it doesn't hurt while I fish, just sore when I'm not. Just curious if it's common
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinkev
Hey guys, I throw a jig and big worm alot and make alot of long cast where I'm putting alot of force on my right shoulder. I never have pain while fishing but afterwards my shoulder is very sore. As a former baseball player I know it's not a rotator issue. The soreness is in the top of the shoulder blade. Does anyone else deal with this?
Throw a jig and big worm a lot ?? Like as in less than a year?? LOL

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 05:21 PM

Well ok I'll rephrase, since skeeter man 225 got me the confidence in jigs last spring, I now throw a jig alot. I'm thinking the reel on my jig rod may be the culprit.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 05:46 PM

It's probably from how long you are casting you do fish hours on end out at benbrook! Take some midol and you should be fine. I have the same thing happen to me every now and then.
Posted By: Tick...

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 06:56 PM

Put a revo on that rod and it will cast a country mile even with an underhand lob! Don't let the small spool fool ya just use less backing because you can just about spool it it casts so far. Ice your arm or pain area after fishing its important and will help you long term.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 07:39 PM

Bad casting form is causing your pain

A good cast is more wrist and forearm not much shoulder usage

If your looking for distance use your allowing hand to pull the Rod butt towards you as you use ur wrist and forearm

An arig or big swim sit is one exception
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/08/15 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide-Cody Malone

If your looking for distance use your allowing hand to pull the Rod butt towards you as you use ur wrist and forearm

- What Cody says; use proper casting form.
- Strength training. Target that muscle group.
- Get a IRest Massager. It is small but powerful and will work two muscle groups off the one little machine.
Posted By: ShaneOh

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/09/15 04:07 AM

Go see a chiropractor. Like another person said it could be a weak deltoid causing the problem, or even a weak teres minor. However, the chiropractor may find out that its bursitis. If it is spur, or lesion in your shoulder then perhaps ART treatment could help. Also, myofascial release could definitely help loosen up the entire shoulder if your in that much pain.
Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/09/15 02:08 PM

I hurt every time I go fishing due to both rotator cuffs are torn but don't want to miss out to have surgery.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/09/15 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide-Cody Malone

This is how I cast, using my wrists and forearms in the motion Cody is talking about. I cast A-rigs and soft swim baits the same way. Large hard body swim baits I go to an overhand cast, but again I try to limit my arm and shoulder movement.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/09/15 03:57 PM

I have some back and shoulder issues occasionally and I find that if I let go of the reel handle and move the bait with the rod while letting my right arm hang down at my side until I have to reel to take up line that it helps these areas. Normally my hand is on the reel handles, but if I start to hurt this helps.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/09/15 04:42 PM

I know a "therapist" at the Men's Club, she ain't cheap, but nothing will hurt when she is finished....
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/09/15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinkev

Make sure your rod/reel is correct for the baits you are using. A heavy action fast tip feels like a broom stick with lighter lures and requires more force to throw a long ways. You might try a lighter action rod with lighter line. Maybe a 7'6" medium heavy with 12lb line. Check that your bearings are in good shape. Check your brake settings. I use as little brake as I can get away with.
I take some ibuprofen before I fish and after. Put a cold pack of your shoulder after you fish to stop inflammation. Later switch to a heating pad to increase blood flow and promote healing.
Drink lots of fluids while fishing.
None of this is a substitute for listening to your body and seeing a doctor if the pain persists.
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/09/15 05:35 PM

I started changing up the way I fish. I added a left handed reel. I started moving the reel to my right hand after the cast and using the left hand to spin the reel handle. In general I began doing things to relieve my left shoulder. I take four ibuprofen before I go out.

IMO you've just got to find ways to rest the shoulder that hurts.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/09/15 06:17 PM

I'm 66 and I take Celebrex-get your doctor to prescribe some. Actually I'm taking the generic and its
only $30 for a 90 day supply. I can tell the difference since I started taking it-its a pain med
coupled with an anti-inflammatory. Worth a try.
Posted By: Tom Mayne Fishing Guide Lanes

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/10/15 01:19 PM

I had a similar issue but mine would actually go numb after fishing all day. Went to the Dr and he had me take two Aleve in the morning and two in the evening for 10 days. Cleared it up completely. Hope this helps
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/10/15 01:34 PM

I had taken Celebrex for over 5 years....it was later pointed out that one of the side effects are possible heart disease. Guess I should qualify: Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosis ....made it hard to do anything, including fishing.
If you chose that drug, might want to check with your Dr first...
I stopped and now trying (after checking with my Dr) Magnesium....only been a month but, it's a vitamin..so, I'm going to give that a month or so and have stopped taking the Celebrex...
Just thought you should know shipmate..
God Bless
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/10/15 02:43 PM

Take a handfull of advil and 18 bud longnecks then get after it
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: fisherman's shoulder! - 10/10/15 04:57 PM

Look up (torn Labrum)..... Had to stop for a while find a girlfriend haa bet thats it ..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum