Texas Fishing Forum

TFF Match Play...

Posted By: Kevin Bryant

TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:12 PM

...could it ever be done again? Those were the good old days!
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:17 PM

How does it work?
Posted By: senko9S

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:19 PM

Team Sweeeet wins, that's how...
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:27 PM

In

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:31 PM

It's basically a smack talk league. There are a certain amount of teams, and each team has a certain amount of 2-man teams on it. Each month (I think) you have to face an opposing 2-man team. If I remember correctly, every 2-man team on Team Sweeeet would face another 2-man team on Team Heeeeaattt. I think that's how it worked, it's been awhile. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It started with Team Sweeeett, a group of guys who hung out and fished together. They said they could beat anyone, so Team Heaaattt started. Then we decided to start TFF Match Play. There's a lot of backstory, but man it was sure fun.
Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:31 PM

eek boxing

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:34 PM

It was back when people didn't get offended by everything though... So it might not work now haha.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:35 PM

I will help set it up if there is interest. I know that there are others that have done this in the past so i dont want to be seen as trying to step on toes. I just think it was a great thing for the local angler.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:42 PM

It would be cool to get a bunch of us together and bounce ideas off each other on how to make it happen. It could be bigger too, like regions across Texas with some kind of Championship at the end. You never know!
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 10:46 PM

I'm in
Posted By: Alex K.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 11:20 PM

Those were fun! Still think I have the Team Heeeeeat logo somewhere.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 11:23 PM

Teammmm Heeeaaatttttt!!!!

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/01/15 11:54 PM

I don't even remember which team I was on but it was fun!
Posted By: JAY SHIPE

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 03:38 AM

I'm in!

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 03:53 AM

How bout it Dubose? You in to start team Goteeeem? I think id like to call out DRodge and Kyle. We can call their team eeeeeeasy money. Haha
Posted By: Justin DuBose

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 04:08 AM

Oh yes, I'm in this!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 05:13 AM

Was fun the first time around

I'm in if it can make
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 05:44 AM

In
Posted By: Drodge

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: JAY SHIPE
How bout it Dubose? You in to start team Goteeeem? I think id like to call out DRodge and Kyle. We can call their team eeeeeeasy money. Haha

I must be doing something right if a nobody like me Is getting called out by a you tube celebrity.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 11:30 AM

Bring Team SWEEEET back for the win. It was a very fun deal. Lots of pannie waists on this forum now that get butthurt too easy.....may need to screen applicants. I would be in if I could pass the screening part. stir
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 12:26 PM

The MoSho thought he heard his name called. Where we going to fish these events Jay? We can't go to Joe Pool every time...

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 12:30 PM

Would be cool to have a draw format and draw the lake the night before fishing, just a suggestion if I can even get in on this.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 01:16 PM

Drawing a lake would be fun, but usually the two teams that are matched up that month decide on a lake. I don't remember there being too many, if any issues with that. Just so it's clear, if Team Sweeet is up against Team Heeeaatttt that month, each 2-man team pairing would pick the lake they fish. The whole teams don't fish on the same lake. Not every team can go fish the same weekend. Some teams would decide to fish a 3-4 hour evening matchup. You just never know. It was all up to the 2 teams that were paired up that month.

Looks like the interest is definitely there to start this back up. It be cool to make it bigger than just a smack talk league!

And I agree Tom, too many people that get butthurt too easily around here, so I say if you can't handle smack talk then TFF Match Play would not be for you.
Posted By: Tejasbasshunter

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 01:58 PM

Do you get a participation trophy?
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 01:59 PM

I'm in, I can't catch fish as good as some of you, but I can talk chit like it's my job banana
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 02:03 PM

Do yall really want to deal with the Team Grandpa part of Team Sweet again?
Seriously fishing with Stan and the whole Team SWEET was a blast while it lasted. It was a real blast to compete and then sit around and get to know the different guys from TFF. And the Championship at the end of the year to get all of the teams together was real special. I still remember the great time sitting down to eat after the last championship with JVon and his wife before his passing. Definitely provided some special memories.
Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 02:09 PM

Sounds like fun Kevin, I'd be in as well.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
Ya'll did some epic stomping. Everyone quit.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant
It would be cool to get a bunch of us together and bounce ideas off each other on how to make it happen. It could be bigger too, like regions across Texas with some kind of Championship at the end. You never know!

I think this is an invite for a drink fest!!
thumb
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 03:26 PM

Sounds like fun
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 03:29 PM

This sounds awesome, I would be interested

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14
The MoSho thought he heard his name called. Where we going to fish these events Jay? We can't go to Joe Pool every time...

You and Dubose live in Justin, Dusty Rod and I live in Euless, I say we meet up at Whataburger for breakfast somewhere in the middle, pick 4 or 5 lakes to possibly fish and draw the morning of. So like MLF we wont know where we are going. That way yall don't whine about a lake I fish a lot. Any lake within 2 hrs, don't matter to me.
Posted By: flexpress

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 04:43 PM

im in team 2-tuff

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 05:06 PM

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 05:14 PM

Looks like Team Sweet has some more money to be made.
Posted By: Tubby

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 06:16 PM

Team Sweeet is still around, just quite a bit older.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 06:23 PM

Does team sweet have an opening?

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 08:41 PM

yes, we are down a man. angel
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 08:46 PM

Jay I'm cool with everything going on here. No whining. Joe Pool just scares me a bit by its clientele at the boat ramps...
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 10:50 PM

This idea was tossed around a couple years back of bringing this deal back, I would be in if it ever gets rolling.

It really sounds like a good time for all!
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 10:58 PM

The geriatric version of team sweet!!! Lmao!!!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BasscatRonnie

Ain't nuttin like gettin' beat by an old fart that can't see or hear, but can still fish better than you! I'm thinkin' this thing needs to take off....

The good thing is you are on your own schedule. Find a time that the four can agree on, and the lake. We did several 4 hour matches, or even a 3hr evening deal. It doesn't have to take up your whole day.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

The good thing is you are on your own schedule. Find a time that the four can agree on, and the lake. We did several 4 hour matches, or even a 3hr evening deal. It doesn't have to take up your whole day.

Exactly. That was the nice part about it, you could meet at a local lake after work and fish till dark, or for 3-4 hours on a sunday. It was very flexible and fun.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/02/15 11:39 PM

Lets set a time/place to meet and see if we can't get something together and get this started again in 2016 or sooner. I have no idea how it was ran behind the scenes, but I'm sure a few people here know.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 03:21 AM

We nominate you Kevin!
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 03:48 AM

I'm In.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 03:58 AM

Definitely count me in for this...

I know we have enough people now to consider a team and/OR a solo league.
Obviously there is a demand for individuals looking to fish for bragging rights on this site... But, the opportunity to bring everyone together from all different areas at one time isn't available. 2 on 2 and 1 on 1 are where it's at... Less people to organize and work around to make this happen and NO EXCUSES!

Just throwing the Individual thing in the pot to fill a void for some excitement we don't have at the moment.

I'd be willing to help out with anything on Lake Fork for sure.. I'll even volunteer to help video some of the events out here. But it's got to get some more traction and be organized... Paper tournaments anyone??

Anyone interested in taking the helm on this, let me know, and I'll help out as much as I can. I can even house a person or two with covered boat parking on Fork each time. cheers
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien
Definitely count me in for this...

I know we have enough people now to consider a team and/OR a solo league.
Obviously there is a demand for individuals looking to fish for bragging rights on this site... But, the opportunity to bring everyone together from all different areas at one time isn't available. 2 on 2 and 1 on 1 are where it's at... Less people to organize and work around to make this happen and NO EXCUSES!

Just throwing the Individual thing in the pot to fill a void for some excitement we don't have at the moment.

I'd be willing to help out with anything on Lake Fork for sure.. I'll even volunteer to help video some of the events out here. But it's got to get some more traction and be organized... Paper tournaments anyone??

Anyone interested in taking the helm on this, let me know, and I'll help out as much as I can. I can even house a person or two with covered boat parking on Fork each time. cheers

I love Fork and even do alright there, but for this format I do not think it's a good lake. Heck any of the Smith County lakes would be a better option in that area, in my opinion...

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Lots of pannie waists on this forum now that get butthurt too easy.....may need to screen applicants.
That was back when the TFF had "The Pit."
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 06:17 PM

TFF match play had it's own section for smack talk, only members could post but all members could see it..
I used to have a bunch of pictures from back in the day.. RedRanger, Bob Smith, Okie Poke,Senko9s, all fished it and a cast of excellent anglers that went head to head, toe to toe in some epic battles.. I was a team captain, I'd be willing to explain how it worked... It was fun, I believe we had 6 teams with 5 pairs of anglers each... My old partner lives in Cali now, I'm out.. no interest..
It's not for the easily offened... grin
Posted By: Tubby

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 08:54 PM

Posted By: SkeeterMarine

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 11:14 PM

I'm interested if the dates worked!
Posted By: papamark

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 11:26 PM

is there going to be senior division ?
Posted By: Drodge

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/03/15 11:43 PM

Toadsnatcher and I are in. No slot lakes. Jay you know I only eat quick trip before tournaments.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 12:08 AM

It was up to the "drawn" teams to decide on what lake to fish for a minimum of 3-hrs-- slot -no- slot didn't matter, the out come is the same.....Most matches were 4-8hrs the short ones were not the norm...
We fished the vine, pool, and fork(slot lakes) in the two season's I fished, of course we fished Ceder Creek, Hawkins,Holbrook,Cypress,Bob Sandlin, Arlington, and RayBob.
It started in Feb- with the Captains meeting, then organizing the teams, and drawing the matches for the upcoming season.. You have a month to get your match in, so your personal schedule could adapt to the needs of the match...
Pretty simple...

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterMarine
I'm interested if the dates worked!

You your partner and the other team "make the dates works" it always works...

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 04:04 AM

I'd be happy to be the captain for Team Heeaat if we get this thing going again. Looks like the interest is growing to get this started again.
Posted By: Justin DuBose

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 04:30 AM

Are you guys wanting to go with the original format with only Team Sweet and Heat, or opening this up to other teams? I believe I could put a nice team together with some interesting characters:)

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Justin DuBose
Are you guys wanting to go with the original format with only Team Sweet and Heat, or opening this up to other teams? I believe I could put a nice team together with some interesting characters:)

team All In II... roflmao

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 05:49 AM

The original format had more than just Sweeet and Heeaat. I don't even remember who all was on Heeaat. It's been quite a few years since we did this last.
Posted By: petro

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 11:44 AM

This
Posted By: Darryl Roach

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 12:32 PM

I know one match Team Sweeeeet didn't win! bolt

I was the captain for Team Ezee, but we definitely won't be back under that team name! But we got a team that's ready, get it going.
Posted By: Ranger Z21

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/04/15 12:48 PM

PM Bob Smith. He and I set this up last time. I actually kept the stats and standings. We had an organizational meeting at bass pro in grapevine to get it started. I might even have the original rules around somewhere. I am not able to be part of this on this go around but willing to help get it started if need be. Good luck. If I remember there were at least four teams that had eight members apiece on them.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/05/15 06:23 PM

WayBack to 2007

Ten - 8 man teams. The smack talk was extreme. If you are going to be the overall Tournament Director you will need thick skin and expect no appreciation. The teams get whiny, they wanted to nit pick the rules and setting up matches was never "all that easy". Keeping track of the results wasn't very simple either. In the end it was a lot of fun and generated a lot of interest at the time.

Team Sweet earned their props. They smack talked the best and backed it up by squeaking by in the championship. The truth be told Team Elite was the REAL DEAL!

Team Elite
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team 2 Tuff
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Extreme

Team Heeaat

Team Sweeeet
Team Gravy - Logo Unknown
Richmond Fishing Team - Logo Unknown
Team Misfits - Logo Unknown
All in - Logo Unknown
Ezee - Logo Unknown
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/05/15 06:29 PM

I would like to be in if this happens, always good to meet new people

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/05/15 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Slide_R
Team Sweet earned their props. They smack talked the best and backed it up by squeaking by in the championship. The truth be told Team Elite was the REAL DEAL!

I'm glad you kept that Robert, I forgot how badazz our logo was, not to mention the team.. Gotta give it to the Sweeeetie pies, they could fish it up.. LOL.. Only match I lost to a Sweet was the Championship, ALL the rest crashed and burned against me and Rmax..

Smack... this was how it went, but much rougher at times, it was fun..

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/05/15 07:33 PM

back to back, just sayin...

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/05/15 08:27 PM

Wow its been a long time since I have seen our Team Xtreme logo..

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/05/15 10:52 PM

Posted By: Tejasbasshunter

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/06/15 06:20 AM

Posted By: petro

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/06/15 06:35 AM

Im only 43 and am sure mark perry and I can put the hurt on like last time. In 2 yrs we only lost 1 match

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/06/15 10:45 AM

And so it begins....with the new Geritol division.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/06/15 02:18 PM

Petro, we pushed on Arlington in one match---nobody caught a fish.. LOL.. Guess we should have done the rock,paper,scissors thing at the ramp... roflmao

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/06/15 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: petro

Im only 43 and am sure mark perry and I can put the hurt on like last time. In 2 yrs we only lost 1 match

Im not scared... Bring it Pretty Boy!

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/06/15 11:49 PM

So does anyone have open spots on a team?
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/07/15 12:11 AM

brad if you wear the green shirt I will fish with ya

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/07/15 12:16 AM

This shirt? Lol

Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/07/15 12:19 AM

That's the one
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/07/15 12:30 AM

The main thing y'all need is a TD willing to put in the time and oversee this deal. You need someone who will stay committed to it. Ask Bob Smith, it definitely requires some work.
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/12/15 10:06 AM

It required a lot of work keeping up with the stats. Team 2 Tuff will be back with a full team Ready to go. The Smack talk was Awesome and even on Fork we did a paper in our tourney.. All the rules for the tourney part were up to the teams fishing that month. We fished several style tourneys from pictures, paper, 3 fish, even 1 with 6 fish each member kept 3 and could only cull their 3 but 6 were weighed for the total. Every tourney was fun but Team 2 Tuff did have some tough tourneys and were not able to make it to the Championship. I did have a blast working the Championship though and running around Cedar Creek in my boat checking on the teams and getting some early results.

Looking forward to this starting back up

Jody
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/14/15 01:20 PM

Team Sweet might have won over all but Team Elite won the Championship Tourney on Cedar Creek! I'd be in! Come back Red Skeeter!

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/14/15 02:10 PM

Brian you and Matt made a heck of a team... My partner Rmax is in Cali, L.A. the plane tickets would wear us out.... roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/14/15 02:34 PM

Just do your matches on Clear Lake, The Delta, or Shasta!
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 12:21 AM

I am willing to bet that Kay would fish with ya Redskeeter. I enjoyed fishing against JVON and his wife on Fork.

Jody
Posted By: Leaky211

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 01:53 AM

I want in!!!! Somebody need an extra on their team?????

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 02:49 AM

Well, since I started this discussion back up, I'm highly considering stepping up and running this.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 04:40 AM

Ill be on the delta nov fourth through the tenth if anyone wants to challenge Team Sweeeet skills... i agree, its gonna take one commited TD to pull this off.

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 04:42 AM

Bring your frogs... bow_down
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Bugzout10
brad if you wear the green shirt I will fish with ya

Brad, if you wear the green shirt..... I WON'T fish against you. No thanks. roflmao

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 05:36 AM

Not even sure if I can find a team Mr. Frank's so you might be in the clear. smile

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Not even sure if I can find a team Mr. Frank's so you might be in the clear. smile
Make a new team...Green Machine
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: TFF Match Play... - 10/15/15 03:36 PM

Team Croc's will pick me up, I'm sure of it. (hint, hint)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum