Texas Fishing Forum

NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker

Posted By: Clark Reehm

NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 09/28/15 12:56 PM

Want to save some money by not losing as many baits when you get snagged? Don't like the hassle of traditional lure retrievers? In this week's blog post, I demonstrate how to build the plug knockers that I carry in my boat. They require a minimal amount of materials, tools and skill.

If you are interested in one of my angler enhancement classes where I will teach you numerous tricks like this as well as how to be a better angler, I have quite a few open dates remaining for the remainder of the year. PM, call or check out my website for more information.

https://www.facebook.com/EliteAnglerAcademy
http://www.eliteangleracademy.com/

Clark Reehm
(479)970-3388

Posted By: Anchorman

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 09/28/15 01:01 PM

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that Clark.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 09/28/15 01:38 PM

Awesome thanks for the video, do you ever tie a string to get it back, or is it not necessary?

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 09/28/15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Awesome thanks for the video, do you ever tie a string to get it back, or is it not necessary?

I don't mess with the string. Anytime you have the potential for loose string in the boat, that turns into a mess! If I lose it then I am out a dollar. For the amount of baits that i have saved with them, that dollar is well worth the efficiency of the set up.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 09/28/15 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark Reehm

I don't mess with the string. Anytime you have the potential for loose string in the boat, that turns into a mess! If I lose it then I am out a dollar. For the amount of baits that i have saved with them, that dollar is well worth the efficiency of the set up.

Thanks Clark I appreciate your reply, I will make a few of these, seems really simple and cheap. Keep up the great work!
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 09/28/15 03:58 PM

Good Stuff right there thumb
Posted By: 96speed

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 09/28/15 07:57 PM

Good info right here.

The money I've saved on cranks and jigs easily offsets what small, reasonable amount I spent towards the Elite Angler Academy. Now you guys are out of excuses! Clark is a great teacher and has lots of information to share about how to use those cranks and jigs once you free them with his plug knocker trick.

Ryan
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 09/29/15 02:42 AM

Awesome Video!!
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/17/16 01:20 AM

I would like to thank Clark for posting this awhile back. I made a few and used them today to free snagged DD22's. It is a great way to free up a bait.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/17/16 01:32 AM

thumb
Posted By: Wirebender

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/17/16 09:17 PM

Having taken Clark's class, as well as having made these plug knockers, all I can say is Winner, Winner for both.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/17/16 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark Reehm

I have another question Clark, once the weight slides down the line and if doesn't knock the lure loose is the game over or is there a way to make the weight continue to hit the lure. I'm picturing the weight up against the lure but can't see how you can make it double hit the lure. thanks
Posted By: squib

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/17/16 11:02 PM

I keep a couple of these on my deck at all times. Probably used it 5 times today and never lost a bait.

Gig'em Aggies, once the knocker gets to the bait, if it doesn't knock it free immediately, you can give it some slack and it will pull the line toward the bottom (if hung in a tree/brush). When you pick back up on your line, it will slide back down and knock it again. I actually usually just keep my line tight and jiggle my rod--the bait usually works it way free.

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/17/16 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: squib
I keep a couple of these on my deck at all times. Probably used it 5 times today and never lost a bait.

Gig'em Aggies, once the knocker gets to the bait, if it doesn't knock it free immediately, you can give it some slack and it will pull the line toward the bottom (if hung in a tree/brush). When you pick back up on your line, it will slide back down and knock it again. I actually usually just keep my line tight and jiggle my rod--the bait usually works it way free.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to BPS tomorrow and pick up the parts to make a couple. These 6-8 and 10xd's are too expensive to leave hanging on a limb and I use 10-12 lb. line so I can't just pull it loose. I would think it would also help to get to the opposite side of the limb to have a better chance of knocking it loose. Not going to try and get hung up but anxious to see this thing work.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/17/16 11:40 PM

Thanks for the advice! Will be getting the swivels tomorrow

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/18/16 03:51 AM

It is cheaper getting the components from Academy than BPS.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/18/16 10:22 AM

What a simple and great idea !! Thanks for sharing Clark !!

God Bless us all
Lee
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/18/16 11:54 AM

clap
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/18/16 12:07 PM

Would sure love to spend some time with him ...... it's my understanding in addition to being a really good fisherman, he is really knowledgable in setting up and interpreting HB 1199 fish finder. roflmao Have one on the console and one on the bow and they will give you so much information, it's kinda 'overwhelming'
Thanks for sharing Clark....
God Bless us all
Lee
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/18/16 01:02 PM

I had a chuckle last week, Big Bite Biats has come out with this, call it the "Pocket Whopper". Here is a link to it on Tackle Tour. Scroll down. http://tackletour.com/reviewicast16bigbitebaits.html
Posted By: squib

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/18/16 03:11 PM

These are the weights I use.

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 07/18/16 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Clark Reehm
Want to save some money by not losing as many baits when you get snagged? Don't like the hassle of traditional lure retrievers? In this week's blog post, I demonstrate how to build the plug knockers that I carry in my boat. They require a minimal amount of materials, tools and skill.

If you are interested in one of my angler enhancement classes where I will teach you numerous tricks like this as well as how to be a better angler, I have quite a few open dates remaining for the remainder of the year. PM, call or check out my website for more information.

Clark Reehm
(479)970-3388

Made a couple today Clark using your video, took less than a minute. I used a 4oz weight though to knock my 10XD loose, those baby's are $16 a piece. I've picked up a lot of good ideas on TFF and a lot of good advice about boating and fishing in general. You gotta pick and choose though cause the advice is FREE and usually froth with opinions, lol.
clap

Re: NEW VIDEO: How to build a cheap and easy plug knocker - 11/23/16 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Clark Reehm

Clark Reehm
(479)970-3388

Lure retriever
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum