Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn History Lesson

Posted By: Troutnout

Rayburn History Lesson - 08/29/15 05:24 PM

So I have a question, and no it's not what is the real Rayburn Red.... Bayou Village is commonly referred to as Black Forest Community... It's easy to see why, it's ramp shoots right into the forest... My question is why is the ramp called Preachers, or Preacher Rays......
Posted By: redhornet

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/29/15 06:34 PM

It is called Preacher Rays because a crotchety man with the nickname Preacher Ray ran a bait shop at the entrance to the boat ramp he collected the parking fees and sold minnows. The nick name was a bit of sarcasm by local people because of his frequent use of colorful expletives. I think the mans actual last name was Nerren.
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/29/15 09:39 PM

I thought it was because of the congregation of fish? sarcastic
Posted By: FredLB

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/30/15 05:39 PM

Another history question, reason that area is called the Black Forest?
Posted By: DevinJoe

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/30/15 05:46 PM

Because the white Forrest would be racist
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/30/15 07:12 PM

Just curious....what is the real Rayburn red?

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/30/15 09:42 PM

Makes sense. Where exactly was the bait shop.. Would love to see a picture of it....
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/30/15 10:01 PM

I was told one time that the name black forrest came about back when they were building the lake. The landowners got mad about the price they were getting paid for the land and they were not allowed to sell the timber off of it, so they burnt it down and the remaining trees were black from the fire. Don't know if that is true, but that is what I was told.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/31/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: etexbasser
I was told one time that the name black forrest came about back when they were building the lake. The landowners got mad about the price they were getting paid for the land and they were not allowed to sell the timber off of it, so they burnt it down and the remaining trees were black from the fire. Don't know if that is true, but that is what I was told.

That would be a fallacy. Maybe I'm giving away my age but I remember fishing in the Black Forrest when there were still leaves on the oak trees. There was an old field that had the roof of a barn sticking up until someone thought it was a good idea to set it on fire. I also remember fishing on the Caney flats when there were still needles on the pine trees. I pretty much grew up on Rayburn and remember huge islands that are now gone and changes too numerous to mention..
Posted By: Drop_shot_king

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/31/15 12:26 AM

Lol its called black forest because if you try to run through it your gonna have some black days...
Posted By: Neches

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/31/15 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: DevinJoe
Because the white Forrest would be racist

This is it, but heard there is a push to re-name it the rainbow forest. So no one would be offended.

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/31/15 01:13 AM

So does anyone have pics of the old days? It seems a while back someone posted a pick of the 147 while being built.. That was a pretty cool pic..
Posted By: Rayburn Local

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 08/31/15 01:59 AM

Actually Preacher Ray's last name was Ray... LOL. He was very colorful, boisterous, and fished with means that were far from law abiding. LOL.. His bait shop and house place was the first one on the left after the pavement ended. Someone else bought the place, tore everything down, and now has a very nice place there.. The ramp was also referred to as "The Prop Bender" years ago.. and I have no idea why....

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 09/01/15 12:33 AM

The prop bender... Must have been before my time... All these however are interesting facts.. No pics anyone?
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 09/01/15 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Troutnout
So does anyone have pics of the old days? It seems a while back someone posted a pick of the 147 while being built.. That was a pretty cool pic..

Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Rayburn History Lesson - 09/01/15 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: FredLB
Another history question, reason that area is called the Black Forest?

Cuz #blacklivesmatter
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum