Texas Fishing Forum

12 foot talon questions

Posted By: bigcat85

12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 05:58 PM

I have had a 8 foot powerpole for a long time now and love it. the 10 foot powerpoles just look bad to me. want to hear from the guys that have made the switch to the 12 foot or even the 10 foot talon. Which do you like better? does the 12 foot really hold you in 12 foot? Or is it more like 10 foot?
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:16 PM

If the 10ft poles look bad to you why would you consider 10ft or 12ft talons that are still upright even when deployed? That's still 4-5ft of back deck disabling towers, yeah?

I don't personally see how anyone chooses talons for that reason alone, but I suppose the back deck isn't of grave concern for most people... I do know I would struggle to find a way to damage powerpoles but would easily damage talons which means it's an easy choice for me. I want whatever if harder to break lol

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:26 PM

[quote=Mulholland]If the 10ft poles look bad to you why would you consider 10ft or 12ft talons that are still upright even when deployed? That's still 4-5ft of back deck disabling towers, yeah?

the 10 foot poles stick up way past the motor. the talon does not. i cant have anthing taller than what i have now for storage reasons. i know the quality of the power pole is great i do own one.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:28 PM

I went from 8' Power Poles to 1 12' Talon, love it. Get the tilt bracket as well.
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:32 PM

The talons have a tilt bracket... So how could storage be an issue??
Posted By: JBellZX250

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:33 PM

10' Talons are only about 3 1/2' Tall and normally sit flush with the motor cowling when the motor is trimmed down. If I was to swap to Talons I would choose the 10' for the smaller profile and no need of tilt brackets.
Posted By: C_Fisher

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:34 PM

I have 2- 12' talons and have never had a prob with them. When my partner fishes with me, he's usually on the front deck with me. They will only hold me in 10' FOW. Anything deeper than that, I just hear them scraping along the bottom.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:34 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hydrilla...920&bih=964

Storage solution without having to change to a product you prefer less, if interested. I was under the impression it was purely aesthetic preference from you saying you don't like the 10ft blades look and like the compact look of the talon more, not that it was so much a space constraint.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BlaiseWeimer
The talons have a tilt bracket... So how could storage be an issue??

10 foot poles are the issue

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: jignfish
I have 2- 12' talons and have never had a prob with them. When my partner fishes with me, he's usually on the front deck with me. They will only hold me in 10' FOW. Anything deeper than that, I just hear them scraping along the bottom.

thank you sir. you read my whole post and ansered my question with out arguing with me or making this a debate. Thanks!

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:47 PM

That would be my main concern is max depth holding, and the fact that the talons can be damaged where the poles can't really. The talons seem like the simpler device with less invasive install and fewer moving parts perhaps, but the anchor itself, the physical anchor of the boat, is more susceptible to failure on the talons which is what would worry me. I also hate that they still block the back deck deployed. Sharing the front deck is cool sometimes but not always practical and not everyone has 20+ft rigs necessarily even when shopping for spendy shallow water anchor systems.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcat85

thank you sir. you read my whole post and ansered my question with out arguing with me or making this a debate. Thanks!

Technically he didn't "make the switch" as you initially ask, he just said he has talons, and I don't think anyone made it into a debate. I asked you a question for more information, which you provided (storage constraint not previously listed in your needs) and could aid in getting better info/feedback from talon owners.

If your mind is that made up just go get them, why start a discussion about it? Google only provides you answers for the question as provided. You could try there if you want narrower input perhaps. Otherwise, my question lead to someone stating the 10ft would be advisable without the bracket, but the 12ft would likely need the bracket for storage, and that the 12ft only holds in 10FOW, which we can assume means the 10ft won't likely give oyu much more holding depth than your current 8ft pole which you said you like, you just want deeper holding power, without being impossible to store, and without being physically larger on the back of the boat in use for aesthetics.

I'd say the extra probing for information payed off very well.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 06:57 PM

i have seen talons stuck down. i have seen people have to tie up their power pole. i have had my relay go out on my pole making it get stuck down. they all have their issues at some ponint. my 8 foot pole i really need to be in 6 1/2 to not move. thats why i asked about the real holding depth on the 12 talon. i simply wanted to see if people were happy making the switch.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 07:01 PM

http://www.bbcboards.net/product-reviews/507578-new-10-12-foot-talons-vs-power-pole-blades.html

Some solid feedback here with similar questions to yours. The difference in holding is that is your powerpole is slipping, it isn't making a ton of racket and exploding from dragging and bouncing because the anchor itself isn't a moving component, so while the PP has fewer, what it does have are more likely to be damaged through regular intended use.

The PowerPole people are top notch for customer service as well when it comes to fixing any issues that arise from the more complex hydraulic deployment system, and they are easy to work on as well. I am certain Minn Kota's customer service is second to none as well, just form owning their trolling motors.

All of that said, if you got an extra foot of holding power from the 10ft talon over the 8ft blade at best, would you be happier with the talons? If so, given the criteria present, I would say that would be the decision you are making in the end.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Mulholland
Originally Posted By: bigcat85

Technically he didn't "make the switch" as you initially ask, he just said he has talons, and I don't think anyone made it into a debate. I asked you a question for more information, which you provided (storage constraint not previously listed in your needs) and could aid in getting better info/feedback from talon owners.

If your mind is that made up just go get them, why start a discussion about it? Google only provides you answers for the question as provided. You could try there if you want narrower input perhaps. Otherwise, my question lead to someone stating the 10ft would be advisable without the bracket, but the 12ft would likely need the bracket for storage, and that the 12ft only holds in 10FOW, which we can assume means the 10ft won't likely give oyu much more holding depth than your current 8ft pole which you said you like, you just want deeper holding power, without being impossible to store, and without being physically larger on the back of the boat in use for aesthetics.

I'd say the extra probing for information payed off very well.

like i said he read my whole post and answedred on of my questions. you have done nothing but argue where there is no argument just a man with a question. you have helped none.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 07:25 PM

bigcat85-
I have the 8' Talons(2) and about 4" stick into the water when trolling and per my back graph (just slightly lower than the Talon bottom) I need 6.5' to stick securely. Anything more than that I tend to slide/move depending on bottom type. I got this info off the Talon website as I was curious as to the "height" difference myself.
8' Talon; deploys in 2 stages; 57" tall
12' Talon; deploys in 3 stages; 57" tall
I have seen the 12' Talon in person and they are quite interesting to see all the sections come out! I wish I had the tilt brackets but at $230 apiece I'll pass! I have to lower mine each time I back into the garage about 8" so slightly annoying but used to it so just part of the "load/unload" procedures now.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 07:42 PM

thank you bassmanrudy. i thought the 8 and 12 were the same length.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 07:53 PM

I have 2 12' Talons and it will hold in hard bottom at 12' but if it soft you need to be in 11'.
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 08:10 PM

I love the 12' Talons. Mine have been absolutely rock solid. I've used them from Florida to Amistad to Table Rock and down in Port Lavaca and never once have they let me down. I do take care of my stuff though and make sure all the mounts are tight and clean off the spikes routinely. Make sure you get the tilt brackets for going into low clearance areas and you'll be fine. I would highly suggest the 12' models. You'll be glad you did.

If your worried about your partner hitting the Talons with his casts then you'll probably want to invest in a motor cover too.
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 08:20 PM

I have 10 ft Talons and I can anchor securely in 9 feet. I don't consider them a problem for the guy in the back of the boat.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

If your worried about your partner hitting the Talons with his casts then you'll probably want to invest in a motor cover too.

To clarify, it's not worry about them hitting them, I am bothered by them obstructing the rear casting deck, which they absolutely do. Go back boat with talons then back boat with none, then with powerpoles, and you'll see that the poles are pretty much the same as having nothing there, meanwhile with twin talons... you may as well be casting around a brick wall at the back of the rig. There is no arguing around their obstruction, given every single talon owner also says to get the folding mounts so you can go under bridges and park in your garage still... you can't have it both ways and tell everyone how massively obstructing they are but then say they aren't obtrusive at all lol

I am curious on the reports of holding power, as if they honestly held advertised length in depth they are quite attractive, but if a 10ft talon is roughly equal to an 8ft blade... I can't see the advantage for the OP or most people, who seem to think the 8ft blades look better as well.
Posted By: Kelleys Lake Fork Cottage B&B

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 09:49 PM

Keep in mind the Talons are heaver than the poles by about 2X. Have 12 footers, they killed my ability to get on pad quickly, may have to re-prop. Also throws of the center of balance when you are up.

Knowing what I do now, I would have went with the power poles... plus once you get the add-ons, you have more $$ in them...

just my 2 2cents

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/20/15 09:50 PM

I've backed mine all over the country with no problems. The tilt bracket allows them to fold down to access low clearance areas. Once on the other side, put them right back up. They're no more obtrusive than my Mercury.

Mine hold a Z9 in 11' of water with no problems.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 01:45 AM

I've installed a whole bunch of 12 foot talons and have had zero negative feedback for what that's worth.
Posted By: ldmtsu

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 02:23 AM

I have two-12' talons on my Z9. They will consistently hold in 10.5' or so....any depth more than that isn't a guarantee (depending on wind and hardness of bottom).....I had only one talon and recently added my second...I have had no problems with them, and just sometimes wish they were a little more quiet than what they are. As far as getting on the plane or balance I haven't noticed with my boat that it has made any difference. If I have both livewells full and a full 68 gallons of gas in the tank it takes longer to get on plane than livewells empty and half tank of gas. The two talons don't noticably affect the ability to get on pad that I can tell (specifically dealing with my setup). I love them and now cant imagine fishing without them for what its worth.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 02:37 PM

You may have them mounted too low.
I like the fact that they only require electricity,no on board hydraulic pump.
I've found that they work at about one foot less than their designated length(due to proper mounting?)
Just my opinions, as everyone has there favorite everything !
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 04:14 PM

There is a new kid on the block now with the anchors. I heard about this but don't have very much other info but should be a combination of the "best" of both other brands. (No I am not on their prostaff or in anyway affiliated with them.)
Evo Fishing Technologies
https://www.facebook.com/evofishingtec?fref=ts

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
There is a new kid on the block now with the anchors. I heard about this but don't have very much other info but should be a combination of the "best" of both other brands. (No I am not on their prostaff or in anyway affiliated with them.)
Evo Fishing Technologies

Same size as a 10ft talon or 8ft blade, at $1400, with 13ft depth capacity sounds amazing. Unfortunately, their website is awful and shows no real info about the product, or video or anything for a consumer to make a decision off of, other than to see the company is in severe need of a web designer's assistance. I will certainly watch for updates on their products though, sounds like a good deal potentially.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Evo Fishing Technologies

It looks like they have a 20 ft anchor coming out. eeks

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 05:58 PM

Yeah 20ft holding sounds insane lol I am really curious to see the deploy mechanism for a 20ft fixed anchor.... gonna have to stop calling them "shallow water anchors" hahaha
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 06:04 PM

I may be glad I've waited around a while now. Any reviews of the EVO?

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/21/15 09:04 PM

Given they don't even have photos of one mounted on a boat, I doubt you'll find any reviews. I wish they at least had a demo video or something... or photo of deployed... anything at all but a stationary tube. They should also change their ugly vertical chrome stick on badging to match the horizontal writing on their switches which is much more attractive. I suspect they will once they get molded badges made instead of using generic letters and numbers like you buy at an auto parts store. I would still rather see paint/vinyl badging than those. I assume they did them vertical so they are all on one plane dimensionally at least, since left to right non-molded/formed stick on badges would not mate even/flush across a curved surface.

Again though, excited to know more about product... but lack of info + poor web design about all there is to go off of for now.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/23/15 01:53 PM

I have 2 12' talons on my 20' champion. When it is really windy they don't hold me strait in much more than 8' of water. The boat will still twist. Also when it gets like that the boat has to be realigned with where they went down strait or they will not come back up from being in a bind. When it is calm, right at 11' I can stay still in the water. They are taller than the 8's for sure, but I am thinking of getting tilt brackets for those days im not using them in deep water
Posted By: 21elite

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/24/15 11:52 PM

We just put a set of 12' Talons on my sons boat last weekend, they are awesome, I will be selling my 8' power poles and putting a set on my boat.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/25/15 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: rowlettfisherman
...but I am thinking of getting tilt brackets for those days im not using them in deep water

The tilt brackets are only supposed to be used when lowering the talons to get in and out of areas with low clearance. Manufacturer does not recommend transporting the Talons, on trailer or on water, with talons in down position on deck.

Hope that helps and saves you from a headache later

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/25/15 02:40 AM

Are the tilt brackets as easy as reaching down and pulling a pin and folding them down. Could you do it in the boat while you were fishing and fold them back up

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/25/15 10:49 AM

No pulling pin necessary. Depress the latch on top of the bracket with your hand or foot and lower it down. Easy to do from inside or outside the boat.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/26/15 06:15 PM

Can you fish with them folded down? Just curious, cause im sure they are in the way of the person in the back. But he should have bought a better boat and I would fish with him.

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/26/15 09:51 PM

After all the mentions of talons being in the way for the backseat, I decided to find out if it's true. I was on the lake today, got in the back of the boat, and started casting and pitching around.

The talons weren't in the way. They barely stick up higher than the outboard.
Posted By: Crash DeVerle

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/27/15 09:49 PM

I have never had poles due to the constraints of my battery compartment and fitting the pumps in. With that said, I had 8' talons on my last boat and used them more than I ever thought I would. I went with 12 footers on my new boat, and they are 3X as quiet as my first generation 8's and are the same height. My 12's will hold me in 11'. Furthermore, I fish out of many boats with 8, 10 and 12' Talons and 8' PPoles, and am always able to fish around them like they're not there. With that said, I do fish one tournament a year out of a friend's boat who has 10' PPoles. They are extremely difficult for me to fish around. I consciously have to adjust my rod position for setting the hook and working my baits since I tend not to fish straight up and down, but rather drag to the sides. Not knocking anyone with 10' poles whatsoever as they all serve their purpose, but these are my first hand experiences with fishing the back of the boat around every anchor on the market.
Posted By: big bass520

Re: 12 foot talon questions - 08/28/15 03:10 AM

I don't know if this will help I have 8 ft talons on my ranger z 520 and I love em, I went instead of getting longer talons I got me the minn kota ulterra and it works just like power poles in deep water if you're trying to hang on in 8 ft or 100 ft,I just hit spot lock and itll stay within 5 ft from your spot if it is windy, I got it with a 60 inch shaft especially for windy day I tell you its money well spent.I use my poles in spring time a lot, and still use em now, just something to think about.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum