Texas Fishing Forum

Pros and cons Ranger Z520

Posted By: jbassman

Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:29 AM

Never owned a Ranger. Looking at this model.
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:30 AM

The only con I can think of is the high price.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 03:30 AM

Pros....its a ranger

Cons...its a ranger
Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 03:30 AM

Yep^^^ there are no cons with a ranger smile
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 04:07 AM

Pros
best fishing platform
best resale

cons
somebody has to drive that back breaking sucker out their.

Their is a reason the back doctors call it a Ranger back. LOL
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 04:10 AM

I have a 2015 Z520C for sale in the boat classified section or I can get ya a great deal on a new rig.

I'll be more than willing to demo mine anytime
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 04:15 AM

I usually only keep a boat a year or two. Have had my Z520 for 3 years now and no plans on getting rid of it. Been the best boat I have owned. Top notch fishability and holds up to whatever I throw at it. Built very well and amazing fit and finish.
Its a fishing machine and just laid out extremely well.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 04:18 AM

Well worth it. Love my 521 and my buddy has a 520 and its an awesome boat too.
The fans in the rod locker are handy if you get caught out in the rain. Compartments are sealed. Space for flush mounting the largest graphs. Plenty of tool holders on the deck of the new boats. Wide beam. Great hull warranty.

Cons
They cost a small fortune. Every bass cat/triton guy will call it slow cause it doesn't go 90mph. Constantly people coming up to you saying "thats a sweet boat".
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 01:53 PM

What are realistic speeds for this boat ? Seems like I have read where some folks were hitting 74 tourney loaded, if this is true then they are about as fast as my Triton. I have been thinking of going back to Ranger, does this boat ride well ?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
What are realistic speeds for this boat ? Seems like I have read where some folks were hitting 74 tourney loaded, if this is true then they are about as fast as my Triton. I have been thinking of going back to Ranger, does this boat ride well ?

Realitically a tad over 70 is a good exoectation. If you have the perfect setup you can get a bit more. I can't see many breaking 74-75.

As far as the cons I really dont have any except the .etal on the step along each trailer fender will get you if you dont pay attention when wearing flip flops.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 400 Pound Guerrilla
The only con I can think of is the high price.

+1

Absolutely one of the best boats to fish out of IMO.
Posted By: King.

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:11 PM

I've had mine for about a year now. I love it! Loaded down with me and my partner i can hit around 70, give or take.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:27 PM

I just bought a Z520 if that tells you anything!
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:43 PM

Loved my Z521 and should have never sold it. But I did. My current boat is a Phoenix 921 and I like it better than my Ranger! I held my price pretty strong when I sold my Ranger and it took 8 months to finally sell and I had to come down a bit. There's just so many for sale out there and I think that hurts the resale value. In a few year when I sell my current boat it'll be interesting to see what kind of hit I take. LOL

I touched 70 in my 521 but I'm not a great driver.

I went from a TR20 to the Ranger and was in heaven. It was definitely slower than my Triton but I thought it was easier to drive and rode better.
Posted By: kiamichisooner

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:53 PM

I too went from a Ranger to a Phoenix 920 and will not be going back. Your going to get an amazing fishing platform on that Ranger. The stability of the boat is second to none. They are great boats no doubt. Downside its going to beat the hell out of you.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:54 PM

I love mine.

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper

I doubt it, I have a 25p prop, full load 68-69. I could change props and get a little more I'm sure but I don't care to and I know people that ride with me would not like it either. Lol you want 70s plus there are other options out there for that.
Posted By: CrankBass

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 03:24 PM

Ditto what Mark Perry has said.

I have had my 2014 Z520C for about 1 year now, it is a great great platform and rig.

As far as realistic speeds, I have a stock setup no adjustments and get 71-73 on GPS with 2 people, full gas, and tourney load.
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 04:08 PM

If you want to see what a Z520C will do just hire Cody (Dale Jr.) Malone for the day. LOL He can do more with that boat than I would ever believe. As far as the boat goes I have a 2014 Z520C that i just love. I see no cons with it. Some boats may be a little faster but 74 is fast enough for me. But the thing that hooked me was when you drop the trolling motor NOTHING beats a Ranger,bar none. Fit, finish,and quality of the boat is the best out there. As far as ride goes most of that is in who is driving. You bounce off 3 foot rollers at speed and none of them are smooth.

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 04:29 PM

Mine runs 70-71 loaded with three ppl. 73-75 loaded light

The thing of ppl saying they will beat you up is false once ya learn what the boat does and how to make it do certain things. I can cross boat wakes 45 degree angles at 70 and the boat will barely move, JimmyP can attest to that.
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 04:35 PM

Pros and cons have all pretty much been stated.

It's gonna be a little slower and rougher when running than some others, but at the same time will fish better in rougher water.

So do you want smoother while trying to run in rough water, or smoother while trying to fish in rough water.

Great boats I love fishing out of them.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
I love mine.

I hate it!
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 05:37 PM

Pros: Great quality and build
Cons: Must be 45+ to own one popcorn

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden
Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
I love mine.

I hate it!

Lol
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 06:41 PM

Yes I can Cody. You showed me a lot about a Ranger yesterday. Just another reason to love it. And if someone is looking for one Cody has his for sale. Beautiful boat at a great price and he might even leave the waypoints for a few extra bucks. LOL
Posted By: Jkrez

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bbassfishes
Pros: Great quality and build
Cons: Must be 45+ to own one popcorn

Hey now! I have one and I'm 29!
Posted By: KsChampion198

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 07:11 PM

They don't ride nearly as bad as some of you say. They ride fine. I've always run Champions and now run a Z518 and even it rides well. A lot is the driver.....
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/27/15 07:15 PM

I've run a 203 Champion for 13 years, Z520c will be my next!
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 02:47 AM

I really like mine, and as everybody has said, it fishes great. The only complaint that I have is the ride in the typical tournament morning cross chop. Because they are so wide, and you sit out on the edge of the boat, they rock the driver and passenger when you push them hard in cross chop. In a head-on chop, or following seas, it's great. Some people don't know how to drive them. They like a bunch of trim, and a hydraulic plate really helps in rough water. Drop the plate, and trim it up. I could cure the problem if I could just draw better numbers! Or just slow down a little - nah.

I ran all other types of boats when I was younger, but when I finally got one I realized that they truely made better than any other. As far as speed goes 70 to 73 is what to expect (with a Mercury). A few wil pass you, but you'll pass some as well.
Hope that helps.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 03:00 AM

My 12 Z521 w/ SHO hit 73 on gps with 2 people and a light load. Not sure where the rough ride stuff is coming from, mine is pretty smooth even in nasty chop/rollers.

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Bryan O'
I really like mine, and as everybody has said, it fishes great. The only complaint that I have is the ride in the typical tournament morning cross chop. Because they are so wide, and you sit out on the edge of the boat, they rock the driver and passenger when you push them hard in cross chop. In a head-on chop, or following seas, it's great. Some people don't know how to drive them. They like a bunch of trim, and a hydraulic plate really helps in rough water. Drop the plate, and trim it up. I could cure the problem if I could just draw better numbers! Or just slow down a little - nah.

You can steer it out if that with a little practice
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 01:14 PM

Cody's boat is an awesome deal for a really good looking rig!
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 02:22 PM

Guys, I hate to say this.........but when it comes to waves and chop, a lot of it is the driver, not the boat!
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 02:47 PM

I ran all other types of boats when I was younger, but when I finally got one I realized that they truely made better than any other. As far as speed goes 70 to 73 is what to expect (with a Mercury). A few wil pass you, but you'll pass some as well.
Hope that helps.

I was your coangler in the last BFL on Rayburn. I thought you drove well and were damn sure pushing her in the cross chop! LOL I enjoyed the day, BTW. If I recall correctly yours was an 08? Have the hulls changed since then?
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
Guys, I hate to say this.........but when it comes to waves and chop, a lot of it is the driver, not the boat!

+1
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 03:26 PM

I love the z520c. I have learned that in big waves it's very forgiving. With the sho you have quick response time, this allows you to power up a wave. The nose will ride up a wave rather than wanting to spear. Similar to a fx skeeter. Speed wise it's as fast as 85% of
Boats tournament day. And fairly easy to drive wide open (with the sho) ..
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/28/15 06:41 PM

Bill,
Yeah, mine's an 08. I don't think the hulls have changes significantly. The caps have changed a lot. As far as steering out of it, I'm not talking chine walking here, just how the hull reacts to sloppy cross wake water. The only solution is draw better numbers, or slow down. I enjoyed the day as well. Wish we'd have caught bigger fish though... I think I saw your Majek for sale. Going back to fresh?
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Pros and cons Ranger Z520 - 07/29/15 02:06 AM

Bill,
Yeah, mine's an 08. I don't think the hulls have changes significantly. The caps have changed a lot. As far as steering out of it, I'm not talking chine walking here, just how the hull reacts to sloppy cross wake water. The only solution is draw better numbers, or slow down. I enjoyed the day as well. Wish we'd have caught bigger fish though... I think I saw your Majek for sale. Going back to fresh?

I forgot what year, but there was a pretty big change around there somewhere.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum