Texas Fishing Forum

Stocking list and SAL ?

Posted By: get-bit

Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 11:41 AM

Here is the 2015 stocking list. Also an article about how Roberts has not once received any SAL fry after donating a SAL. We won't receive any this year as well. I know 4 of the 6 died. Just weird on ours since Shannon specifically asked the biologist if it had broke jaw, when he picked it up, and he said no. But who knows. That is a whole other debate.

My question is, when you donate a SAL does the lake get stocked? I have looked and can't find either way.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/acti...5&Submit=Go

http://texasflycaster.com/stocking-largemouth-bass-in-texas-the-scoop/

Interesting article from 2011.

Well been talking with Fisheries this morning and that article is false. We did get a small number of sal fingerlings in the past. I knew we had some regular stocking, but was concerned with the SAl fry. They didn't start separating them from the stocking reports till a couple years ago.

Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 11:50 AM

That is part of the reason I will NEVER donate a fish to them, Pictures and releasing the fish back is what I will continue to do.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 12:38 PM

Awesome to see Cypress Spring get some fingerlings, they haven't been stocked in years
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 12:38 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 01:45 PM

I thought Hubbard Creek was stocked a few weeks ago when Stamford was. Guess I heard wrong, to bad, it needs restocked..
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
I thought Hubbard Creek was stocked a few weeks ago when Stamford was. Guess I heard wrong, to bad, it needs restocked..

I read that too somewhere on here. Wonder why it didn't get stocked. Bummer
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 03:19 PM

I noticed that Ray Bob did get a SAL stocking back in 2012. I think that may have had to do with Stan's fish he caught in that Champs tourney. I thought for sure it would see more this year after that fish you and Shannon had. I wonder if the lake being hard to access had anything to do with it not getting stocked this year since it didn't even get any regular Florida stocking.

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
That is part of the reason I will NEVER donate a fish to them, Pictures and releasing the fish back is what I will continue to do.

Branden - I know you've caught a lot of big fish (it's in your signature) and also know you have held your own in some tourneys but do you mean to tell me that if you caught a 15+ pound fish and it was a new lake record, you would just let it go after taking a picture?
Posted By: get-bit

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 03:50 PM

Access didn't have anything to do with it. I was told there were no SAL fry this year. I say access had nothing to do with it, but ast time they were out, I was told they were not going to drive all over the lake. Of course another hot button for me. They can always put those trash can tanks on front of my boat and will drive them where ever they want to go. Would be great if they would
Partner with the local folks on the lakes to help with knowledge of the lake. Was told by one of the guys few years back they had never even been on the lake. So how would they know where best cover is or any for that matter. Better than two different loads dumped on a bare point in State Park cove like couple years ago.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 04:00 PM

Interesting read, Craig Bonds response letter in the second link above.. I read it a long time ago, or have certainly heard the exact thing from many biologists.. BTW, Craig is now the head of Inland fisheries for TPWD, in case you have been living under a bass boat.. And responses like that is what got him the job.. He knows what he is talking about..

And I certainly agree with putting the fish where they have the best chance for survival and quick growth.. It is unfortunate that we all can't have a Lake Fork in our back yards..

However, that was written back in 2011 or so, and we still have not seen the results from the head to head test of growth rates of Pure Florida LMB and Sharelunker LMB.. Which I personally have been dying to see.. For years..

How bout it TPWD?? Any of that data available yet?
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris G
Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Branden - I know you've caught a lot of big fish (it's in your signature) and also know you have held your own in some tourneys but do you mean to tell me that if you caught a 15+ pound fish and it was a new lake record, you would just let it go after taking a picture?

Absolutely, I would probably get it certified but I wouldn't turn it in to them.

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 04:39 PM

Gotcha - I thought you were saying you would just throw it back after some pics.
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: NoWeighers
Interesting read, Craig Bonds response letter in the second link above.. I read it a long time ago, or have certainly heard the exact thing from many biologists.. BTW, Craig is now the head of Inland fisheries for TPWD, in case you have been living under a bass boat.. And responses like that is what got him the job.. He knows what he is talking about..

And I certainly agree with putting the fish where they have the best chance for survival and quick growth.. It is unfortunate that we all can't have a Lake Fork in our back yards..

However, that was written back in 2011 or so, and we still have not seen the results from the head to head test of growth rates of Pure Florida LMB and Sharelunker LMB.. Which I personally have been dying to see.. For years..

How bout it TPWD?? Any of they data available yet?

More than "where they go" I want to see "where they been caught," when it comes to SAL program offspring.
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 07:26 PM

I think Tpwd only stocks Florida strain fingerlings now. They have brood bass (Florida) that they use from year to year to supplement the SAL fingerlings.

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: buggsboy
I think Tpwd only stocks Florida strain fingerlings now. They have brood bass (Florida) that they use from year to year to supplement the SAL fingerlings.

Well that would have to be a new policy in 2015 then.

2014 SAL Stockings

Athens 18,588 Fingerling
Austin 11,230 Fingerling
Jalisco Lake 7,404 Fingerling
Lady Bird Lake 11,174 Fingerling
Lake Fork 15,709 Fingerling
Marine Creek 12,599 Fingerling
Palestine 14,332 Fingerling
Toledo Bend 14,078 Fingerling
Tyler East 26 Adult
Total Stocked 105,140
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 07:40 PM

If anything they use SL fingerlings to supplement the Florida stocking.. There were ZERO SL fingerlings produced this year..

Fish breeder there has only been one fish traced to SL parents so far in the project that has been talked about.. It was the Naconechie (sp) twelve something. And as it turns out, the parent fish to that fish was not even a pure Florida.. And the parent fish came out of Falcon about ten years ago..

I am not sure why it was genetically tested as it did not make the 13 pound mark.. But I'll assume that it got tested because TPWD wanted to see what it's new "pet" lake had produced..

I can't see why using monster fish that are not 100% pure is a bad thing.. They have shown the special something it takes to get to that size..

Which all goes to support my hypothesis that it ain't all the fish.. It's where the fish lives..

Hence the stockings where we have seen them go..
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 09:01 PM

Let me rephrase what I said: All of Texas's larger public lakes recieve nothing but Florida LMB. The only waters that receive native northern LMB fingerlings/fry are Community Fishing Lakes like small city park ponds. It is true that most of the Florida fingerlings come from hatchery brood fish.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris G
Originally Posted By: buggsboy

Well that would have to be a new policy in 2015 then.

2014 SAL Stockings

Athens 18,588 Fingerling
Austin 11,230 Fingerling
Jalisco Lake 7,404 Fingerling
Lady Bird Lake 11,174 Fingerling
Lake Fork 15,709 Fingerling
Marine Creek 12,599 Fingerling
Palestine 14,332 Fingerling
Toledo Bend 14,078 Fingerling
Tyler East 26 Adult
Total Stocked 105,140

Further proof TPWD isn't the smartest at times in where and how they stock. They destroyed Lake Austin with the carp, eliminated all the grass, and all those fingerlings were most likely tasty bait fish because they had no where to hide. The SAL program needs to go away

bang

BUT, I do give them credit with the latest stocking when the water came up, they went with one local on Canyon and put a lot of fish in Centex lakes where there was plenty of growth for them to survive. The next 3-5 years, if the water sustains, will be a lot of fun.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Stocking list and SAL ? - 07/22/15 09:29 PM

Looks like that one guy should start his own breeding system with all his dd fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum