Texas Fishing Forum

Running Lake Fork near the dam

Posted By: DEFMP

Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 05:30 PM

Is this area down near the dam clear of timber? Will I be able to run to the SW shore adjacent to the dam? I noticed on the Navionics web app there are no boat lanes marked. I've only fished Fork once as a co-angler, and I don't remember fishing down near the dam.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 05:36 PM

You can run it just watch out for that point in the middle.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 05:53 PM

that point sticking out down from the river dam with the red dot at the end of the point, watch out for it. other then that your good.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 06:16 PM

Shouldn't he stop and fish that point and the drops on the sides ?
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman

Shhhhhhh. I saw a guy run across that point two weeks ago no more than 20-30 yards off the bank. I for sure thought he was going to take off the lower unit.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
Originally Posted By: Nutman

Shhhhhhh. I saw a guy run across that point two weeks ago no more than 20-30 yards off the bank. I for sure thought he was going to take off the lower unit.

Yeah I see stuff like that all the time, their dumb to the fact, if it were you or I it would tear our stuff up---crazy how that happens....
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 07:49 PM

Thanks guys! What about the bottom right corner of the picture, are those points safe to run near?
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: DEFMP
Thanks guys! What about the bottom right corner of the picture, are those points safe to run near?

They are probably safe but unless you are in a real hurry for some reason I wouldn't chance it.
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 08:14 PM

It says flooded timber down there in the lower left corner of the screen shot, and there is if it is where I am thinking of. Most of it is probably under water enough to be invisible. I always idle, if not sure, it is not worth messing something up seriously just because I wanted to get somewhere quick. You can always hope to follow someone else in or out of where you want to go and let them run the gauntlet first.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 09:04 PM

There's a couple of BIG tree's along the roadbed at the Mouth of Chaney. That's the South most end of the dam. If you stay within 75 yards of the dam you'll be ok to run , but as you idle across the mouth there's a few out there.

As others have mentioned.. DO not run across that point towards the top middle. you might get away with it since the water is high, but it's a shallow sand bar out to about 30 yards offshore.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 09:20 PM

On the bottom LEFT of the picture, the blue area is timber. The bottom right of the picture is land. The top left is the mouth of little Caney, it's pretty safe. The top right of the picture, I haven't been so I am not sure.
Posted By: JDJ01

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/01/15 11:31 PM

As Jigfish said, Right now that point with the red dot is safe minus the brush thats sticking up… don't hit that hahaha. In my experience you are pretty safe down their but to run it may be hard with all the fishing going on.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/02/15 12:08 AM

I wouldn't run lower right or left.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/02/15 01:36 AM

With the lake at the level it is right now, you should be safe if you stay in the white on that picture, except for maybe some parts of the bowl shaped area on the left (I think that area is safe too but I dont want to give you bad info). As you get closer to Chaney (the lower left), you're running at your own risk. I and many others on here saw that area at 7 foot low, and it is full of timber, some of which will put you out for the count. Of course the lake was much lower, but I remember a boat knocking the bottom out and getting stuck on a massive stump in the middle near the mouth of Chaney during one of the McDs tourneys in a recent year.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/02/15 02:06 AM

Pretty much a clear run no timber until you get to Chaney creek
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Running Lake Fork near the dam - 07/02/15 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Alex Finch
With the lake at the level it is right now, you should be safe if you stay in the white on that picture, except for maybe some parts of the bowl shaped area on the left (I think that area is safe too but I dont want to give you bad info). As you get closer to Chaney (the lower left), you're running at your own risk. I and many others on here saw that area at 7 foot low, and it is full of timber, some of which will put you out for the count. Of course the lake was much lower, but I remember a boat knocking the bottom out and getting stuck on a massive stump in the middle near the mouth of Chaney during one of the McDs tourneys in a recent year.

I saw that guy knocking a hole in his boat and getting stuck on a stump like an olive on a toothpick
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum