Texas Fishing Forum

Remember several years back....

Posted By: ezbassin

Remember several years back.... - 04/08/15 01:21 PM

A few years ago I remember when a new rage was going around with bass boat jack plates. Many were putting basket balls in their jack plate hole to improve their hole shot, and this did help out with some. One person heard about it on the TFF and said that if one basket ball works good then why not add several more to the bilge area of the boat and have it work that much better. Several people tried to explain to him that that would not do anything to help with the floatation of the boat. He disagreed saying that since they were below the water line in the boat, they would work. He even went so far as to say you people need to take a physics class to see that he was correct. Funny, he never did understand why his idea would not work. He was the one needing a lesson.

This post has no value, I just remembered it from the past and thought it was funny.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/08/15 01:29 PM

That's like saying tying a helium balloon to the boat will help it float.

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/08/15 03:57 PM

Exactly, the boat is displacing water not actually "floating".
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/08/15 04:32 PM

Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/08/15 04:34 PM

Only difference a basketball could or would make would be if you didn't have a hole shot plate. It would help divert water from coming up between the motor and boat.
Posted By: Pearlandtexan

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/08/15 04:53 PM

Fill it with ping pong balls!!
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/08/15 04:56 PM

Almost as bad as the great idea to displace water with giant air bladders
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 01:07 AM

They used to do that on gambler boats.the have a huge jack plate and pele used to put balls back there.did it work? Yes,how do I know? Cause I have had 5 gambler boats
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: SpiderJig
Almost as bad as the great idea to displace water with giant air bladders
flehan
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 09:42 AM

if a fly is in your car and you're going 65mph.....and the fly zooms past you from back to front....does this mean the fly is flying over 65mph????? hammer

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Only difference a basketball could or would make would be if you didn't have a hole shot plate. It would help divert water from coming up between the motor and boat.

Correct.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin

Correct.

Not entirely So "Grass Hoppa". If your basket ball is in the jackplate BELOW the water line then it will provide flotation. Above the water line it does nothing. AND also if the basketball or a flat plate is at the bottom of the jackplate then YEW it will divert the water flow from not getting into the jackplate and causing drag. Back to that Physics Class again. External flotation ATTACHED to the boat either outriggers, or tanks or anything else will provide the additional displacement. BUT might cause additional drag when you move.
(P.S. Yes I had the basket ball in my jack plate on my old boat to help lift the back end. Yes it did work slightly BUT my basket ball was wedged into the bottom of the jackplate well below the water line.)

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 12:50 PM

Well naturally it would have to be below the waterline at the rear of the boat and Im pretty sure that the bottom part of the jack plate on all bass boats is in the water when the boat is at rest. As far as I know, all hole shot plates are at the bottom of the jack plate also.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 12:59 PM

soccerballs last longer
Posted By: Shingles

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 01:23 PM

Pc

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: bradnitro175
soccerballs last longer

the ones I tried were very durable but leaked from the seams. I used the cheap dollar store balls.

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Originally Posted By: ezbassin

Correct.

Not entirely So "Grass Hoppa". If your basket ball is in the jackplate BELOW the water line then it will provide flotation. Above the water line it does nothing. AND also if the basketball or a flat plate is at the bottom of the jackplate then YEW it will divert the water flow from not getting into the jackplate and causing drag. Back to that Physics Class again. External flotation ATTACHED to the boat either outriggers, or tanks or anything else will provide the additional displacement. BUT might cause additional drag when you move.
(P.S. Yes I had the basket ball in my jack plate on my old boat to help lift the back end. Yes it did work slightly BUT my basket ball was wedged into the bottom of the jackplate well below the water line.)

100% correct Ron. However a NBA ball is 9.85" in diameter. roughly if has 502cu in of air displacement. one cubic foot of air will lift 64# of weight. One cubic foot is 1728 sq in if I remember correctly hmmm , so the basketball might lift 20 pounds however once the boat tries planning out it will be above the water line. stir hmmm Just having fun with ya Ron.
Posted By: manhunter

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 09:57 PM

This post is giving me tired head... loco_2
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/09/15 10:46 PM

I fill up both of my rod boxes on each side of my boat with basketballs and it makes my boat more stable.

OMG
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/10/15 02:17 AM

On the gambler jack plate is below waterline,really helps

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/10/15 12:01 PM

I'm thinking we need to invent "Out Riggers". We have Power Poles and now we need something new. Or maybe self deploying Hydrofoil legs to lift the boat further up after it gets on pad! noidea

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/10/15 12:19 PM

^^^ like trim tabs? roflmao
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/10/15 12:33 PM

I need to talk to the water bladder guy......Cooper is almost full and it is about ready to have them installed.......
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Remember several years back.... - 04/10/15 04:37 PM

glad I dont remember that one
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Remember several years back.... - 01/25/21 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
A few years ago I remember when a new rage was going around with bass boat jack plates. Many were putting basket balls in their jack plate hole to improve their hole shot, and this did help out with some. One person heard about it on the TFF and said that if one basket ball works good then why not add several more to the bilge area of the boat and have it work that much better. Several people tried to explain to him that that would not do anything to help with the floatation of the boat. He disagreed saying that since they were below the water line in the boat, they would work. He even went so far as to say you people need to take a physics class to see that he was correct. Funny, he never did understand why his idea would not work. He was the one needing a lesson.

This post has no value, I just remembered it from the past and thought it was funny.

roflmao
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Remember several years back.... - 01/25/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
[Linked Image]

Have you seen some of Big O's posts?
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Remember several years back.... - 01/25/21 11:28 PM

What's up with people pulling up these old posts
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Remember several years back.... - 01/25/21 11:28 PM

I recall a long thread on BBC about it and I recall someone proving the theory wrong and he still was banned from BBC. A basketball is not lifting a boat, period.

If I recall correctly, the basketball posse was claiming a 1” lift from the b-ball’s. roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum