Texas Fishing Forum

fluorocarbon???

Posted By: Redfisher27

fluorocarbon??? - 04/03/15 04:11 PM

I've heard that people use fluorocarbon on a whole spool even though its for making leaders. Is this type of line good enough to put on a whole spool, is it light enough to use for light lures??? need everybody to answer.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/03/15 04:16 PM

I use it on full spool. Use flouro for jigs and plastics.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/03/15 04:18 PM

I use flouro for almost everything, but not for the whole spool, I use cheap backing line so I don't waste the flouro.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/03/15 05:06 PM

I use it for pretty much everything except topwaters.
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/03/15 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: dmr183

Yep - mono for topwater and braid for a-rigs and froggin...

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/03/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SRitchey

would it rot in saltwater cause I'm going fishing in salt soon?
Posted By: kekuhaupiomoa

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/03/15 05:45 PM

Coming from a freshwater bass perspective, I rarely ever use flouro as a leader but maybe my applications are a little different. For a carolina rig, I'm generally looking to add a leader between 12-18 inches (give or take) that keeps the bait elevated. Therefore, I use mono and not flouro. Also, like others mentioned, I'll use mono or braid on a top-water depending on the surrounding cover.

When I use flouro, I've been using it on an entire spool and never using backing but it's not a bad idea if your looking to save some costs on spooling. I've heard of using a flouro as a transition leader from braid. Mostly for finesse presentation, like a dropshot, but it's never been my own personal preference. I usually buy large spools of flouro at once, so I don't really think twice about re-spooling an entire reel.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/03/15 08:41 PM

I dont care for flouro. It can be difficult to manage and I have no confidence in knots with flouro, especially with heavier baits. Flouro has improved over the years but you still hear about the same flaws with it. May be hype and may not be but I have caught just as many on good mono and coplymer. I think it just goes back to the confidence thing. Lot of people use it and like it so it may just come down to a personal preference.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/04/15 10:14 PM

Yep
Posted By: Big C

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/06/15 02:20 AM

I'm with Saks on this one. I tried it when it first came out. I lost 5 nice fish in a row. T's most likely improved over the years but mono or braid do fine for me.
Posted By: Steve ZX20

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/06/15 02:36 AM

My brother was a guide in Rockport for seven years before he retired. Always used braid with a floro leader. It won't rot and if you use a six foot or so leaded it will work for anything.

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/13/15 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve ZX20
My brother was a guide in Rockport for seven years before he retired. Always used braid with a floro leader. It won't rot and if you use a six foot or so leaded it will work for anything.

thumb
Posted By: Phototex

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/13/15 03:02 PM

Personally, I despise fluoro, so seldom use it. On the other hand, lots of big bass have been caught with it, so it can't be all bad. Isn't it a great thing that we have a choice!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/13/15 03:29 PM

It depends on the fluorocarbon line you are talking about. Some fluorocarbon line is made only as a leader material and is usually sold on small spools like 25 yards or so. Then you have the rest that are made to cast with. I use 15-20 pound test Invizx and it is great stuff. Use a San Diego Jam knot, or a Fishin fool knot, or a double Pitzen knot and you should not have any problems. Don't fill the reel spool as much as you would if you were spooling up with mono. Fluorocarbon seems to try to straighten out and will get loose on the reel if you have too much on it. Whether you fill the entire spool with it or use something else as a backing is up to you.

I use Invizx fluorocarbon, PLine CXX and McCoys copolymer line, and Power Pro or Suffix 832 braid.
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/13/15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
I dont care for flouro. It can be difficult to manage and I have no confidence in knots with flouro, especially with heavier baits. Flouro has improved over the years but you still hear about the same flaws with it. May be hype and may not be but I have caught just as many on good mono and coplymer. I think it just goes back to the confidence thing. Lot of people use it and like it so it may just come down to a personal preference.

I despise the stuff too. Mono is so cheap and braid works better when I need an application for low stretch line. Basically I only use something other than mono for frogs, Carolina rigs, and a-rigs.

I don't do much jig fishing or I'd probably bite the bullet and find a decent line that actually held a knot.
Posted By: armadilla

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/13/15 04:42 PM

I really like flouro for worm fishing.... on the whole spool. With a graphite rod and flouro you can feel the smallest of bites... it is amazing when you get used to it. And, when I first started using it, I did loose some fish on the hook sets, but I leaned to tie the knots. Saturday, I hung a fish that ran under the boat and got caught in a spit in my keel guard... this was a 4 1/2 pound fish.. it pulled and I let it have line.. after 2 or 3 minutes, it finally came off the keel and I boated it. I checked the line and there wasn't a blemish on it.. I was amazed.. this was Vanish Flourocarbon... which is what some guys say happens to your fish when you use it (they vanish).. but I like it... can't beat it for the feel.
Posted By: Triton-x

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/15/15 12:31 AM

Here is what I learned - springtime bass have bigger sharper teeth - maybe eaten crawdads sharpen them up or something I don't know. Was using 12 pound xl on a spinning rod throwing a 1/16 jig with some bigger than usual bass eating it. I got the first one in ok - 4-8 next one was bigger - I felt her head turn and my line came back at me (teeth) she jumped at the boat and threw my jig right back at me . Next fish I caught was 5 or so - my line was chewed up at her mouth fixen to brake. Her teeth were sharp could cut my finger. After the bite quit I had missed 3 quality fish. So I went to a Jasper deal Where Chad Morgenthaler was there with his boat speaking about fishing. Was pretty cool cause he was showing us stuff and answering questions. To make a long story short when I asked about loosing fish like I did he said why was I not using flouro and I said ( I am not paying 20 bucks a spool for line ) he said how much could you have won with the 3 5 pounders you lost - I said a couple grand - he said ok with flouro you probably would have caught those fish ? He was right - I fish lighter line and smaller stuff a lot - had fish stuck around steel cables - wood dock posts - sharper teeth whatever and have not lost as many fish as I did that one day since I started using it. My favorite is invizx don't like bass pros or sunline fc sniper - p line was stiff - red lable is ok but stiff to - just bought some stren for 9.99 but have not used it yet. I use backing and about 60 yards of flouro. Just my opinion hope it helps. I can tell ya how it works on the coast if ya want. Fish the pins a lot - oso bay and around port a - fun fun .
Posted By: Martinial

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/15/15 05:31 AM

I started fishing it 3 years ago. I didn't understand what all the fuss was about until I tried it, the sensitivity was so much better than mono but I did have to try a few different brands before finding one that had good knot strength. I use Seaguar and I do the full spool
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/15/15 05:39 AM

Just get you some seaguar invisx, you wont look back....
Posted By: Slade

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: JMac-D

Pretty much all I use. I love it. Sensitive, nearly invisible, strong and if it is maintained it won't coil up and will last a long time.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 01:43 AM

I'll never use floro again. It's way too brittle, ALL of them are. And I just don't like how it feels on the reel. If you want something stronger and more sensitive than mono, get some good copoly like P line. And yes, you can use it in the salt just fine.
Posted By: pro dirt raker

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 03:19 AM

Berkeley Vanish, great line, all I use if I have a choice. My experience with Invizx has been random kinks / breaks middle of spool for no explainable reason.
Posted By: Skeeter_Man1

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 05:34 AM

Same!
Posted By: Martinial

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 06:32 AM

Hey Slade what do you mean by miantaining the line?
Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 11:43 AM

Yes Slade, how do I maintain my line ?
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 12:02 PM

Won't find me throwing fluoro anywhere near an oyster reef/shell bed etc. Only benefit over mono is it's density but the pay off is it weakens easily, a kink in the line or small abrasion and it's going to break.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Triton-x
Here is what I learned - springtime bass have bigger sharper teeth - maybe eaten crawdads sharpen them up or something I don't know.

Bass feeding on shad and other bait fish will have sharper teeth. Bass feeding a lot on crawfish and other critters with shells will have their teeth ground down by the hard shells.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 02:10 PM

I'm like many others here.
I don't like it. I've tried numerous brands over the years and I can say it has improved but it still sucks, in my opinion.

Mono / co-polymer and braid are enough for me.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 02:45 PM

Invizx is good fluorocarbon line.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 07:10 PM

Seaguar InvisX is literally all I use except of the following

Braid on frogs

Big game 15# on topwaters
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/16/15 09:57 PM

Seaguar Red Label on sale at Academy for $7.99 a spool.
Posted By: 08skeeter

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/17/15 01:09 AM

What is the best knot for fluorocarbon?
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/17/15 01:40 AM

Palomar is all I tie and break off less than Anyone who fishes as much as I do
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/17/15 04:29 AM

InvisX is what I use for most of my fishing. For spinning use braid with a fluoro leader, just replace out the leader periodically and the main line is for a really long time.
Posted By: John Sanner

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/20/15 02:32 AM

I use mono backing and finish filling spool with fluorocarbon.
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/20/15 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: JMac-D

Yep. I was amazed how much my catch rate improved when fishing Texas-rigged baits with Invizx versus mono. The sensitivity is amazing.
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/20/15 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: JACKTHE
Yes Slade, how do I maintain my line ?

I am not sure what Slade meant, but I use KVD line conditioner on my fluorocarbon-spooled reels and it seems to keep the line soft and free of memory.
Posted By: doctorb

Re: fluorocarbon??? - 04/20/15 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SAKS

I agree with you totally. I am really amazed that so many people like the stuff. Maybe it's just the power of marketing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum