Texas Fishing Forum

Alan Henry trip

Posted By: DaleMcCutchen

Alan Henry trip - 03/23/15 01:30 AM

I was planning on going down to Alan Henry on Wed and Thurs of this week. Was wondering if anyone has heard any reports and/or got any tips for me. I have only fished it twice, and it whipped me both times!
Any info is helpful!
Blessings!
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/23/15 03:20 AM

The fish are starting to make their way to shallower water. I have had pretty good luck with Senkos rigged wacky style. With the warm weather forecast for the next several days it should improve even more. I am going to try to go one day this week as well. With the lack of quality fishing options here in west Texas this lake does get a lot of pressure. But where else are we going to go for a day trip here in the Lubbock area?
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/23/15 04:29 AM

Jerkbaits on secondary points.

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/23/15 01:52 PM

Yea i just moveded to Amarillo, and will be fishing this lake alot more. Used to I would just turn right right out of the gates and fish all that area really good. Not too sure about much back the other way. I know there is more water. Im kinda excited about getting to know the water. Thanks for the help!! Will be looking for some warmer water!
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/23/15 03:25 PM

Dale, you live in Amarillo or Spearman?

Tough lake, can be humbling.
Posted By: TTU_fisherman

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/23/15 04:58 PM

Right now you can fish for a big one and hope you get 1 or 2 bites that day knowing it could be a giant, or you can target spotted bass and catch 50-100 fish. Depends on what you want to do I guess.

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/24/15 02:17 AM

Just Moved to Amarillo 3 weeks ago.
Posted By: johnhawk865

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/24/15 02:24 AM

same

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/24/15 02:55 AM

You live in Amarillo?, Where else do you fish, and do you go to Alan Henry?
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/24/15 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: DaleMcCutchen
You live in Amarillo?, Where else do you fish, and do you go to Alan Henry?

No, I actually lived in Spearman.
Posted By: Desert Angler

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/24/15 03:07 PM

I'm heading out Wednesday as well. It's definitely been tougher lately
Posted By: hornet527

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/25/15 02:53 PM

will it be crowded on the weekends?
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/25/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: hornet527

If the weather is nice you should get a couple of lawn chairs, an umbrella and a cooler full of beer and just watch all the yahoos with their ski boats attempt to load and unload at the ramp. Its hilarious.
Posted By: jb504079

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/25/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
Originally Posted By: hornet527

If the weather is nice you should get a couple of lawn chairs, an umbrella and a cooler full of beer and just watch all the yahoos with their ski boats attempt to load and unload at the ramp. Its hilarious.

haha...no doubt
Posted By: hornet527

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/25/15 03:13 PM

thats kinda what i wa afraid of mad
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/26/15 12:28 AM

"Go West young man"
Ute and Conchas are doing OK... out of state license and the yearly N-Mex parks permit are still cheaper than a couple of weekend non Lubbock resident lake permits on AH. Plus less gas money to get there from Amarillo. fish
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/26/15 01:39 AM

wopics
Posted By: txninja

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/26/15 01:53 AM

Alan Henry = barf
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/26/15 02:00 AM

Dale McCutchen and I fished it today from about 10:00 til 6:00. About 10 bites on soft plastics, but the wind was blowing so hard you couldn't tell. Caught 2 spots in Big Grape and Little Grape under bait balls. Going back in the AM to see if their mood has changed. Caught them on deep diving CBs beneath the bait balls. He caught one and I caught one. Both, typical spot sizes. Small. Had 3 more bites on CB, but fishing it like a jerkbait and none hooked up. So, a SLOW day for us. Parking lot had about 15-20 boat trailers parked in it, though. First spot that Dale has caught. He was impressed with the way it pulled and how small the fish was. The Friday Night Bites will be starting next Friday (not this Friday) on April 3rd. So, we look forward to seeing y'all out there then. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Alan Henry trip - 03/26/15 11:15 PM

Forgot to mention. Water temps were 60.5 to 61.7 at the end of the day. We did not fish today, as the cold and wind got us to thinking that we would be better off NOT fishing. LOL. 36 deg. with 10-15 MPH winds blowing on a lake would be pretty cold, so we planned another trip later.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum