Texas Fishing Forum

Castaway rods

Posted By: serg1001

Castaway rods - 03/17/15 12:39 AM

I got a $140.00 academy card and I want to buy a new rod. I am willing to put another hundred bucks out of my pocket for a rod. Since the card is from academy I can only buy something from them. I noticed they carry castaway and was wondering if anyone uses those rods. I am pretty much looking for the lightest most sensitive rod I can get. I saw on their website they also have Wright and McGill pro victory, some duckets, a few 13 fishing, and maybe a few other brands. What do you all recommend. I already have a smoke so I want something else and I don't like falcon.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 01:00 AM

Out of what Academy carries I would probably get the Duckett micro magic. I know the are carrying Falcon but not the Cara line from what I see. Not a knock on Castaway because I don't know anything about them but I read somewhere that when they sold out the rod quality went down. The Duckett runs about 150. Don't have to spend 250 for a quality rod. Use the other hundred for baits.
Posted By: ryan powell

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 01:01 AM

Castaway all the way. They are great rods. All I fish.
Posted By: ChrisBlackmon95

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 01:11 AM

The 13 fishing is an awesome rod. I have the 7'3" Omen Heavy action and I love it!
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 01:20 AM

From Academy, I'd go the Duckett path. Have a Castaway spinner and Castaway Skelton casting rod. Nothing wrong with them, but I prefer my Ducketts. I have 2 Micro Magics and 4 Ghosts. Over time, I will move to all Ducketts.

Oh, and if you chip in another $60, you can get 2 Ghosts. Only downside is they don't have Ghosts in all lengths which is why I have the Micro Magics.

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 01:26 AM

I also forgot to mention they have the St. Croix Mojo rod but I kind of feel it's a bit heavy. Not sure though, and the Lews speed stick.

Originally Posted By: ryan powell
Castaway all the way. They are great rods. All I fish.

Is there a big difference between the the invicta and skeleton?
and how light are they?
thanks
Posted By: Cryers

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 02:05 AM

Academy will also order rods that they don't carry in store with free shipping. The triple threat Todd Faircloth signature rod by CastAway is a very versatile rod.

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Cryers
Academy will also order rods that they don't carry in store with free shipping. The triple threat Todd Faircloth signature rod by CastAway is a very versatile rod.

Would you by any chance know if they do that with other brands they don't carry or just brands they already carry?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 03:14 AM

Castaway skeleton
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 04:42 AM

Castaway would be a good selection for you to look at. They have a very versatile array of rods with one of the largest specialty selections on the Market. If you have a specific need then look at their rods. Often times the specialty rods are worth the extra amount.
Posted By: rodiebob

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 04:51 AM

I have several of them..Good crankbait rods, finnese worm rods etc...Academy used to carry All Stars as well...Not sure they still do..

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 08:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Anyone else have something to add???
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 09:25 PM

I have a Castaway CR, worming and crankbait rod. Love them, never had any issues with them either. Would definitely recommend them.
Posted By: RO519

Re: Castaway rods - 03/17/15 09:33 PM

Awesome company to work with. I have a boat full of them. For me, they are a local company which is nice. I did have one break on a hook set a while back, so I took it up to their shop and they exchanged it for me. No questions asked, no charges, nothing. Walked in with 2 pieces of a skeleton and left with a new one. Sensitive rods, fairly light, and reliable. You cant beat the Skeleton for the price.

Re: Castaway rods - 03/18/15 12:11 AM

Wow, I think I have narrowed it down to a Duckett micro magic pro or a Castaway skeleton. Tough choice!
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Castaway rods - 03/18/15 12:46 AM

Castaway makes a good rod but the Skeletons are overpriced. The Micro Magic is by far a superior. I own a few of both. . .if I want a rod under $100 I go to Castaway, under $150, the Micro Magic is a real good buy.

Re: Castaway rods - 03/18/15 03:16 AM

Just one thing to add. If you know exactly what you want it is not a big deal but Duckett does not rate the tips on their rods. Don't know why. To me that makes the selection of a rod a little easier because of all the other combinations from other rod makers. If you want a 7'MH that is what you get without having to sort through whether you need a moderate, moderate fast, fast or extra fast.

Re: Castaway rods - 03/18/15 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
Just one thing to add. If you know exactly what you want it is not a big deal but Duckett does not rate the tips on their rods. Don't know why. To me that makes the selection of a rod a little easier because of all the other combinations from other rod makers. If you want a 7'MH that is what you get without having to sort through whether you need a moderate, moderate fast, fast or extra fast.

That is exactly what I wanted but since I got me a quantum smoke in 7' MH now I want my next rod just a tad bit longer. If they make a 7'2" or 7'3" in MH that will be what I get.
Posted By: pkskeetersr

Re: Castaway rods - 03/18/15 01:00 PM

I won one and it is my favorite rod for Carolina rig !!!!!!!!!!

Re: Castaway rods - 03/18/15 06:26 PM

That model does come in a 7'3MH. Have never talked to anybody that uses them that doesn't like them.

Re: Castaway rods - 03/21/15 05:37 PM

Thanks everybody
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum