Texas Fishing Forum

Rod for big swim baits?

Posted By: Phototex

Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 11:53 AM

I've been using a Flippin' Stik, but I'm sure there must be something better for 8" and 12" Hudds. What do you use?
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 01:36 PM

Dobyns 806 HSB will work.
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 01:41 PM

I just bought a Duckett 7-6 extra heavy for that very reason
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 01:47 PM

Coffee has kicked in and I noticed Im extremely happy angler! YA BABY! thumb
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 03:39 PM

Irod Genesis, Okuma Guide Select, Phenix all have models that are great and affordable. If you want to pay a good chunk then go with Dobyns, Loomis or a custom. I haven't used one, but Huddleston has their own rods I believe.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 04:13 PM

White ice 7.11 a/rig-swimbait.....very comfortable to use with fast tip action! Try one out, you won't let it go.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 05:58 PM

Loomis 8ft Salmon rod
Falcon 7ft 9in Cara swim bait rod
Dobyns 795 swim bait rod for top water (lunker punker and glide baits) and smaller swim baits.
Posted By: ETBA

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 07:00 PM

You definitely want something heavier than a flipping stick for big hudds. I would reccomend a dobyns 806, okuma guide select or the new Daiwa swimbait rods are your best bets. Even though the 795 is rated up to 5 oz, throwing 8" hudds pushes that rod too much IMO. The 806 let's em fly.
There are other rods, but the Okuma and Daiwa are the best $100-$135 swimbait rods on the market. I have 2 dobyns, 795(baits up to 3.5-4oz) and 806(baits from 4-7oz). These are my 2 favorite big bait rods.
From a personal stand point, I can't express how much of a difference there is fishing big baits with a proper rod. Sure, you can throw them on other rods, but using the correct one, greatly reduces fatigue and helps fight fish.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 07:18 PM

The Daiwa DXSB swimbait rods are a steal at $100. The 4 models can handle any bait you want to throw.

http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=754

I use the Megabass Orochi XX Leviathan and love it since it doubles as a great punching rod too.
Posted By: mikes14

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 07:23 PM

I just ordered a irod just for the Huddleston and other big swimbait I have heard lots of good things about the rod I also like the feel of it they had then at the fishing show a couple mouths ago in mesquite
Posted By: 21elite

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 07:24 PM

Power Tackle is without a doubt the best, yes they are expensive, but they are very good and Tim and Judy still build these rods one at a time.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 08:49 PM

Take a look at the phenix maxim swimbait series, I use the 8' MH model for all my line thru's and umbrella rigs.
Posted By: GaryReynolds

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/01/15 10:16 PM

Low down custom production model or go with a custom....production model is 200ish and go up with custom model....I have a 795dobys and its a great rod but not for 8in and up baits...spend a little money and your body will thank you
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Rod for big swim baits? - 03/02/15 07:42 PM

Dobyns Champion Swimbait rods

Fantastic rods for swimbaits.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum