Texas Fishing Forum

To cold to spawn?

Posted By: Murrydog

To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 01:49 AM

With the cold weather lingering for what seems forever, is it possible for the spawn not to happen? I have heard that bass sometimes just dump there eggs. Can this happen?
Posted By: Simmonsdlwa

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 02:11 AM

It was much colder and colder longer last year. Lakes will be fine.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 03:00 AM

Still early. It's Texas--weather will change.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 03:03 AM

Give it another 2 to 3 weeks. Still a little early.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 03:26 AM

Too cold for bass to spawn, but not for us to do so. smile Be patient. It'll happen.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 03:27 AM

Since all bass don't spawn at the same time nature has a way of keeping itself in check.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000
Still early. It's Texas--weather will change.

+1

Way too early to get into a panic. LOL
Posted By: big mike

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 04:36 AM

Last winter was much colder. It was 80 degrees just a few weeks ago.
Posted By: cbow44

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 04:44 AM

Last week in March first 2 weeks in April. April 3rd will be the full moon. Make your plans accordingly.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Since all bass don't spawn at the same time nature has a way of keeping itself in check.

Yep! I would imagine it's possible for some fish not to spawn because of weather.
Posted By: dragonsdaddy

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Simmonsdlwa
It was much colder and colder longer last year. Lakes will be fine.
actually, the average temperature is within 0.2 degrees this year vs last, at least here in celina. weatherunderground has a custom function that allows you to look at any time frame and gives you highs/lows/averages.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 11:05 AM

Study bass spawning and lunar activity, this will make more sense then. Also look for previous questions the guides on here have gave good info about when they see the annual spawning activity, usually after a full week of night time temps staying above 65 degrees. This will vary from year to year what time this happens, Good luck
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 01:03 PM

Got about a month and a half for us here in East Tennessee.....
Posted By: big mike

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 02:06 PM

Spawn will be normal. I had a tournament last year year on February 15 at Ray Hubbard. Water temp was 39 degrees. Water temps have been in the upper 40s to low 50s all winter. This winter has been mild compared to many.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 02:09 PM

Temperature is important.
Two weeks ago, before the cold hit, I fished a lake near Dallas that had 58 degree water.
When the sun comes out they'll heat up.

The other thing people forget is photo period.
I believe it's crucial to fish and their spawn.

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 03:05 PM

we are heading to ray bob after lunch, so i'll be able to give a surface temp on returning. the snow melt runoff will certainly not warm the lakes any, as won't the next arctic blast tuesday evening/wednesday.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 03:11 PM

What bass will have a tendency to do if cold front interrupt their spawn, which is to come. They absorb the eggs back into the body.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 09:56 PM

If someone would have put up a poll 2 weeks ago 85% of the vote would of had them spawning this weekend. thumb
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 10:09 PM

Doesn't this question get asked every year?
Posted By: Patrickmo

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 10:18 PM

Spawn will happen anyway. It is getting warmer each day, just be patient.
Posted By: ZX 250

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 10:25 PM

Spring is almost here days are about to be getting longer and the bass will be just as ready as we are . It's just good we are getting water in our lakes even if it's ice run off ! In a few weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see some tress budding and cat tails turning green. fish
Posted By: snickers

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/01/15 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Patrickmo
Spawn will happen anyway. It is getting warmer each day, just be patient.
warmer every day
Posted By: rodiebob

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 12:05 AM

I dont mind, it will make the spawn in April better..It was like this in 2010 on Fork..Killer practice, We caught them on it April 9th..Best day ever on Fork for numbers and slaunches..
Posted By: I FISH 4

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 01:25 AM

Look for the Spawn when.
Water temperatures – 58-65
Daylight hours – 12.00 hours
Moon phase – Full moon “3 day before, & 3 day after
March – 20th Full moon
Posted By: Tyler.Woods

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 02:15 AM

Ready for spring!!!! Need them to start making love in the shallows
Posted By: rodiebob

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 02:22 AM

I need to get on Palestine..Lake is full, you know its on in kikapu, old folks, flat.

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 01:23 PM

water was 40.4 degrees in the cove off buck creek we fished. clear and still with grass. no bites. still with some snow melt to cool it even more.

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 01:25 PM

what do you mean by 20th full moon? new moon is march 20th.
Posted By: CapN Ron

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 02:06 PM

They're gonna get shallow to spawn. They're trying now, big rule in 1' of water on a lot of lakes
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 02:20 PM

At this time last year we had 59-61 water temps on Toledo. This year its 48-50 same areas. Definitely colder this year
Posted By: CCTX

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: dragonsdaddy
what do you mean by 20th full moon? new moon is march 20th.

The next full moon is March 5th--too cold yet for north Texas. The following full moon is April 4th; of interest, it will be a full moon with a lunar eclipse, so there will be significantly less night time illumination during the full moon on April 4th.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 02:46 PM

Fished Toledo Bend out of San Miguel Sat. Water temps 46-48. Big bass of the tourney was a 7lber that looked horrible- big head, skinny body like she had already spawned and the cold was keeping her from eating well. Then 2 bass over 6lbs, 1 5.5, and a 4.25 that were all fat and healthy with egg bulging bellies! I def think they are more than ready to spawn we just need some warm water temps!!
Posted By: Razorback

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 06:09 PM

I was in Old Folks Saturday and the water temperature was 39-40. And...we're expecting another sleet and snow storm Wednesday-Thursday after is hasn't been above 42 degrees for the last three days.
Posted By: wormy1

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 11:01 PM

Last year we were catching bedding fish in May.Daffodills are blooming not BlueBonnets, Quit your Crying an practice flipping into that coffee can. hammer
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/02/15 11:25 PM

The fish were seriously thinking about if before the cold front hit almost two weeks ago. That tells me when we have our first 4 or 5 day stretch of 70 degree days, look out. There will be slaunch donkeys all over in the shallows. With this next front coming, it could make the spawning window just that much shorter. Make sure to get out and getcha one of those "slaunch donkeys". Am I saying that right? I just love saying or typing those words, whichever comes first.....
Posted By: 200Hawk21

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/03/15 01:43 AM

Middle of April to first of May on DFW lakes.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/03/15 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: 200Hawk21
Middle of April to first of May on DFW lakes.

If you wait that long you will have missed a wave or two. There will be bed fish before the end of this month on some lakes.
Posted By: 200Hawk21

Re: To cold to spawn? - 03/03/15 02:26 AM

I agree Mark. Caught a bunch of bed fish last year middle of April and I am sure some spawned before that. Just think it depends on the weather.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum