Texas Fishing Forum

Best braid? For value

Posted By: cephusjoe

Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 12:36 AM

I've never used braid, I'm planning a trip to fork in May and think I may buy a spoil in bulk. I've look online and of course all have great reviews. im looking for an all around good test pound for flipping and Texas rigging. I'm a pretty cheap guy and and not against value equipment. Looking for pros and cons. I would greatly appriciate any input.
Posted By: Dean74

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 12:38 AM

Power pro!!
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 12:41 AM

Just get a 150 yard spool of 65lb PowerPro,back with 1/3 15lb mono. Non need to buy bulk for one trip. You can do two reels maybe three this way.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 12:44 AM

Power pro for value.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 12:47 AM

Daiwa Samurai is the best I have used, better than Power Pro.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 12:49 AM

You may not need a bulk spool of braid unless you are spooling quite a few rods with it because it lasts a long long time. If it looses color you can always take it off the spool and respool it from the other direction.

I mostly use Power Pro or Suffix 832.

I haven't tried any of the sinking braid yet.

At Fork I use 20 pound test Invizx for flipping and if you want a cheaper alternative line I would suggest 15-17 pound test P Line CXX.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm

I use Daiwa Samurai and Saltiga, but they are not in the "best value" catagory.
Posted By: rodiebob

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 12:58 AM

Power Pro 65-80..
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 01:13 AM

I'm a little off subject but you won't need braid for those applications at Fork. 20-25lb flouro will do the trick
cheers
Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 01:15 AM

Sufix 832 in 50 is the best all round line for flipping, t and c rigging, senkos and frogging IMO. 65 seems a little "ropy" for me personally. Get good at the Alberto or uni to uni and you can use fluoro leaders from 10lb up to 25lb... Very versatile.

I tried the original power pro years ago and had problems with it "cutting and digging" into the spool when I'd make a hard hook set. 832 and the newer Power Pro Slick are woven in a way that makes them round instead of flat like the old stuff. Eliminates the problem. They're more expensive but well worth it IMO. I have one chronarch that has 50 lb 832 on it that I spooled up on it in 2012. Lasted two years but started to look like it was worn so I ran it directly onto another chronarch and wallah! It's basically new line because running it backwards puts the unused part "on top". Really is like new line when you do that. Braid costs a little more but if you use leaders that you can break off when you're hung deep (so you don't end up cutting off a lot of line) and reverse the line like this when it gets worn, it'll outlast the best fluoro or mono by years. Ends up being a lot cheaper.
Posted By: Ride 211

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 01:28 AM

+1 for power pro! The best
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
I have three spools of the Samurai too, but at $30 for 150yards, it is double the price of power pro. Lol. Not really a "value" line. Yes. It probably could be one of the best. But not cheap.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 03:16 AM

Diawa Samurai may not be the best bang for the buck but I think it is the best braid on the market, I have had it on several rigs for two years now, I bet I get at least one more season out of it.

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 03:23 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I'm fishing the skeeters owners tournament this year and just prepping. I haven't ever fished fork before, all those tress I don't want to loose a bass over 24 inches in the timber. I'm just putting my checklist together. Also .., I just established my new tackle go to tackle guys brannans bass shop! Great prices
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 03:45 AM

well, you got til July to figure it out now,..
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 03:45 AM

I like Bonehead
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 04:26 AM

My vote goes to the original braided line, Lynch Line. It is smaller diameter and as strong as all get out. It is also limp, while PP is larger diameter and stiffer. Of course, if the wind is blowing hard, PP is better, but otherwise, I still prefer Lynch line, only available at Oldham's shop. Here is the link:

http://www.oldhamjigs.com/

Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: 79Ranger168V

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 04:27 AM

Berkley Fireline is the best I have ever used, I can' seem to break the stuff, but you have to use it on a spinning reel. It digs in real bad on a bait caster. I use power pro slick for bait casters. It's pretty tough, cheap enough, and doesn't dig in much.
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 02:10 PM

i use Power Pro moss green...works great and when it looses color i just re-spool it running it over a green Sharpie pen..like new!
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 02:21 PM

Someone said it above. You wont need braid as much as your thinking. I use PowerPro in 65lb. The only place I am using it is punchin and pads.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 03:24 PM

I like the cast ability of Power Pro and I have used it for years. But, it fades too quick. For C-Rig we have been using Suffix 832. But, it also fades. I have been using lately Berkley Trilene Professional Grade Braid. It doesn't fade near as bad.
Posted By: knopf

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 03:39 PM

I keep going back to Spiderwire stealth. Just bought a 300 yard spool for $22 and it has a rebate too. It is a coated line and seems a little slicker through the guides than some others.
Posted By: RChipman11

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 06:27 PM

Just curious why braid fading concerns so many people? Is there something to it I'm missing or is it just the fact that it's faded?

In reference to the post, Power Pro has always been great. I recently switched to Daiwa Samurai and it seems to be smoother but does cost a little more.

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 07:27 PM

I checked out that rebate, I think I may go with spiderwire. Rebate is good until July
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 07:30 PM

Spiderwire is stiff.
Posted By: ZX 250

Re: Best braid? For value - 02/28/15 07:46 PM

Power pro thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum