Texas Fishing Forum

Moon Phase Spawn

Posted By: RangerBass21

Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 02:52 PM

How many believe moon phases play a big role in spawning? And why?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 03:01 PM

I do. The fish tell me.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 03:06 PM

OMG
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 03:13 PM

hooked
.... it's been scientifically proven ....
fish
.... Jimmy Houston said so .....
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I do. The fish tell me.

Are you the bass whisperer?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 03:46 PM

Beyond question. When the season & temps are right "waves" of spawning fish can be visually seen to coincide with the full moon. 2-3 days each side of the full moon. Moon phase is only a piece of the equation though. If abrupt temperature drop occurrs the "full moon effect" will take a back seat. If temps remain steady or rise as is normal in spring you will see the moon phases drive a large percentage of the spawn. Unquestionable!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RangerBass21
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I do. The fish tell me.

Are you the bass whisperer?

Nope, just use a rod and reel and my eyes to pay attention. When I see more fish up shallow and get more bites up shallow during the moon phase common sense tells me there is something to it.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 03:58 PM

I believe, it's one part of the equation, but bass will spawn, no matter what the moon phase is.

Some bass have adapted to fertilize eggs at night time as a survival mechanism. When the moon is full, it's easier for the female to get a better look at her prospected mates and how good the bed looks at night time.

Easier to for the bass to see nest raiders at night time when the moon is full. They can protect the newly fertilized eggs easier.

There's the old theories that the gravitational effect of a full moon makes the delivery of eggs into water and then the fertilization easier, but I find that hard to believe as a significant factor.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 06:32 PM

I do!
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 06:54 PM

It is a biological phenomenon that aquatic species' breeding/feeding patterns tend to coincide with the moon phases. Theres a reason why 23 out of the top 50 largest bass caught in TX were within the top 25 % of nighttime illumination.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Beyond question. When the season & temps are right "waves" of spawning fish can be visually seen to coincide with the full moon. 2-3 days each side of the full moon. Moon phase is only a piece of the equation though. If abrupt temperature drop occurrs the "full moon effect" will take a back seat. If temps remain steady or rise as is normal in spring you will see the moon phases drive a large percentage of the spawn. Unquestionable!

This.

Some of course will spawn at different times full moon or not. We need some consistent weather. Snowing past 3 hours where I am.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 07:58 PM

I think so too. Once they are committed I believe they stay. Found em on bed in 48 degree water before.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 08:25 PM

Yes , leave all the spawning fish away from the moon phase to me- I'll handle it.
No it seems to be a factor, but I firmly believe it is a factor among many other factors- and not the most important one, which is actually water temp. Basically what 361v said.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 08:29 PM

I wish I was fishing the spawn instead of watching snow and talking bout it...
Posted By: snickers

Re: Moon Phase Spawn - 02/27/15 10:54 PM

great answer
Originally Posted By: 361V
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum