Texas Fishing Forum

Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod

Posted By: SlowDown

Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 01:51 AM

I read a lot of favorable comments about the Carbon Lite rods. Question to those of you that have used one ... do you think it is lighter and more sensitive than most other brand $100 rods?
Posted By: Ride 211

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 02:46 AM

Man I am wondering the same. They feel incredible in the hand. Never bought one though
Posted By: captain-kilroy

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 02:47 AM

I have one and my wife has two. To be honest both of us hate them. The main reason is they are stiff as a board. They are all three medium. they are durable. Caught good fish on them. Compared to the other rods I have of the same price range, the quality is better. I have a few kvd signature series rods I love but the eye inserts fall out. I have been pitching 1/4 ounce jigs with one of my carbonlites and it works great. But I don't like the stiff rod for traps or small cranks.
Posted By: JerryC

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 02:49 AM

I have several, they are light and sensitive both,
really comfortable in your hand

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 02:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. redtrack, you hit a nerve; I don't like stiff rods. Probably doesn't bother everybody, but that's just me.
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 03:52 AM

Lightest most sensitive Rod I have. I have 3. I love them. I have broke one though on a set hook into a log. Broke at middle of blank. Took it back to BPS and they replaced it free. Many hook sets later I have no problems.

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:00 AM

Interesting ... some hate them, some love them. Guess that's the way it goes, we're all different.
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: redtrack
I have one and my wife has two. To be honest both of us hate them. The main reason is they are stiff as a board. They are all three medium. they are durable. Caught good fish on them. Compared to the other rods I have of the same price range, the quality is better. I have a few kvd signature series rods I love but the eye inserts fall out. I have been pitching 1/4 ounce jigs with one of my carbonlites and it works great. But I don't like the stiff rod for traps or small cranks.
why don't you get a different action rod then? Your post is very confusing. Sounds like a love hate relationship. I have 5 and have no interest in any other rod, especially at the price. I have them all paired with Pro Qualifiers and will put them up against any other
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:16 AM

I've got three.....2 medium/heavy and one medium..... I have 8 TFO tactical rods and though I prefer the TFO.... The difference is negligible. I've always thought they were true to a little soft in action.... Fast tips.....but I don't even own a 1/4 ounce jig so...... sarcastic
Posted By: cbow44

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:27 AM

I have 4, 2 Johnny Morris and 2 plain carbon lights. 3 are medium heavy fast and 1 medium fast, the actions are what I would expect them to feel like. I really like them.
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:27 AM

I have a 7"6 heavy/fast micro and thing it's a awesome rod! Great backbone w a soft super sensitive tip! I run duckets and it is a awesome Rod! I mainly have 4 rods in my hand and it is always one of them!
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:29 AM

Versatile too! Trig light cover to open water to dragging a FB or flipping a smaller jig to a chicken sh-t rig up to 1/2oz CRig!
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Josh Fulton
I have a 7"6 heavy/fast micro and thing it's a awesome rod! Great backbone w a soft super sensitive tip! I run duckets and it is a awesome Rod! I mainly have 4 rods in my hand and it is always one of them!
just added this one to my arsenal, I'm excited to get it out
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
I've got three.....2 medium/heavy and one medium..... I have 8 TFO tactical rods and though I prefer the TFO.... The difference is negligible. I've always thought they were true to a little soft in action.... Fast tips.....but I don't even own a 1/4 ounce jig so...... sarcastic

I like my TFO. Hope to buy more.
Posted By: Comanche487

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 05:13 AM

I have several carbon lites and liked them until I picked up a TFO. Not saying the carbon lites are bad, i dont get the same feeling as the tfo. But if you tournament fish STAY away from the carbon reels. Let me rephrase that "DONT" buy them. I thought hey thats a good combo $200 but the reels didnt last no time. And btw i bought like 6 or more combos and all six are either in the dallas landfill or sittin in a bucket in my shop. Go with a mid to upper range lews!!! You will thank me later. No ties to any company just my 2 cents
Posted By: captain-kilroy

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 07:13 AM

It is a love hate thing, that's why I can't take them out of the boat. lol
Posted By: Rangerderden

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 07:21 AM

carbon lite rods are just fine. I use a 7ft Heavy action rod for jig fishing and its great. I also have10+ TFO rods everything from 6 ft spinning to 7' 3" casting and the Carbon Lite is just as good.
Posted By: dukeforlife

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 09:09 AM

I have three and love them light great feel
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 12:44 PM

I will be the first to admit that I am biased, but as far as I am concerned, the carbonlite can go up against any rod under the BPS roof.

I own a whole fleet of them, and have been using the carbonlite platform for several years now. Really happy with them.

As stated, the rods are hard to beat in that price range. More importantly, I really like the warranty situation. Easy to return if there are any issues.

I have never really felt like they were over-powered. Seem pretty standard to me. I use a medium power, moderate action rod for crankbaits and topwaters. Plenty of flex with that configuration.

A few pieces of info:

Technically, all BPS brand products come with a one year warranty. You dont necessarily need to have a receipt, either. We know it came from BPS because we made it, and we can identify production dates with the seriel numbers/product numbers. One year is plenty of time to identify any typical manufacturer defects. Always a good idea to keep your receipt, just in case. I take pics of my receipts with my iphone and make sure I can clearly see the ticket/receipt number on the bottom of the receipt. BPS can pull up a copy of the receipt with this information.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 01:28 PM

I have several, both H and MH, and love all of them - both casting and spinning. I've had no issues with any of them.
Posted By: klockness

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 01:54 PM

I'm assuming everyone is talking about the old ones which it sounds like are being phased out. Has anyone tried the new white carbon lites?
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:19 PM

If you want a great rod for $100 buy the Falcon Bucoo. Better quality and has Fuji guides. Performs like a $200+ rod.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 04:24 PM

I am a big fan of Falcon rods and ig I had $100 to spend on a rod it would be the Falcon bucoo series. BUT I would not turn down the carbonlite rod. I believe it is worth every bit of $100
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell
If you want a great rod for $100 buy the Falcon Bucoo. Better quality and has Fuji guides. Performs like a $200+ rod.

I've got two M/H Bucoo's too.....fish them side by side with TFO tactical and Carbon lites......TFO's are the most sensitive by a slim margin..... Bucco and Carbon lite are equals in my hands.....quality of fit and finish is equal as well.....just my opinion
Posted By: happycampr

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/27/15 08:00 PM

I have two: Medium / fast action spinning rod and a Med-Heavy / Xtra fast action casting and I love both of them. Spinning is spooled with braid and I have fought some good sized blue slime-fish with never an issue. As for carbon reels, I have the older JM Carbon Black which I have always liked. It is a lit heavier than new carbonlite reels (8.x vs 5.9oz) but I never liked the feel of the new ones and to reduce weight by that much seems like BPS may be sacrificing quality on parts. Just my $0.02...
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/28/15 04:32 PM

I have never used a CarbonLite so I cant say anything about them but I will vouch for BPS. I did buy 3 ProQualifier reels after reading great reviews. After 2 trips I had 2 drags go out. BPS replaced them no questions asked with comparably priced reels. I cant say if you will like the rod but if you break it I know you can take it back for replacement and it wont cost you a warranty fee. Really the only thing you have to lose is if you just dont like it but that can happen with any rod. +1 on the Falcon rods.

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/28/15 05:02 PM

I like a casting rod with strong backbone, like a Medium Heavy, but I prefer a fairly soft tip. One person, above, said they are very stiff and, by that, I assume he means the tip is stiff. That being the case, I'm not inclined to order one.
Posted By: Oldnitro

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/28/15 05:12 PM

I have been using them for two years. I like them, very light and very sensitive. When I fish with a different rod, reel for awhile and then pick a carbonlite I can really tell the difference. I also use carbonlite reels also, like them just as well.
EDWIN EVERS USES THEM I would think that is a pretty good testimony, because I feel sure he could use bout anything he wanted to.
Posted By: BASSIC

Re: Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Baitcasting Rod - 02/28/15 05:20 PM

I have a 7'6 and that's my go to rod for chatterbait, spinnerbaits never fail !
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum