Texas Fishing Forum

so do you always cast into the wind?

Posted By: Chris_K

so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 01:35 AM

Given that bass are usually facing the current, do you cast into the wind? What's your thought process on boat position and casting?
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 02:01 AM

Depends on how high the wind is blowing and what weight lure I'm throwing. Sometimes better to cast across it, not directly into it if, for example, you are fishing a windy point with a spinnerbait. On the other hand, if you are fishing with a Carolina rig, using a 3/4 or 1 oz. sinker, you can usually throw directly into the wind without getting a backlash.
Posted By: lizardfliper

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 02:15 AM

in skinny water i like to throw a weightless fluke. i throw it on a spinning rod with 10lb braid to a 12lb flouro leader. you can cast that fluke 30yards into a 20 mph wind. pretty neat since its weightless. i just started fishing my fluke like that on a spinning rod and keep it rigged up.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 03:04 AM

If fishing structure, (point, ledge, etc.), yes, most of the time. But if I find them on a flat or out deep not relating to anything, find out what they want/how they want it... And remember that cast.
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 03:32 AM

That is usually how the story goes, but there have been times when they would only eat it when it was coming at them from the opposite side the wind was blowing. Like they were facing out of the wind. I think position is one of those things like most others, you just gotta let the fish tell you what they want.
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 03:41 AM

"I don't always cast into the wind, but when I do it ends well"
Posted By: Ride 211

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: lizardfliper
in skinny water i like to throw a weightless fluke. i throw it on a spinning rod with 10lb braid to a 12lb flouro leader. you can cast that fluke 30yards into a 20 mph wind. pretty neat since its weightless. i just started fishing my fluke like that on a spinning rod and keep it rigged up.

I do this too. Love it
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 03:59 AM

Always try to.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 05:51 AM

yes for the most part. but if i KNOW fish are there and im not getting bit(usually the case),then i try from multiple directions/ angles.
Posted By: dukeforlife

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 09:14 AM

only if water is moving same way
Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 01:38 PM

Easier for me to control boat when heading into the wind. Like everyone has said, sometimes the fish want different angles. You got to be able to throw anywhere.
Posted By: 9094

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 02:00 PM

Normally I am fishing the windy bank so I am casting with the wind.
If fishing a point or hump I will cast into the wind.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 02:11 PM

I cast into the wind and I [censored] with the wind. banana
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 02:15 PM

Yes, unles it is a spinnerbait. NEVER cast a spinnerbait into the wind. Never
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 02:50 PM

I always fish the boat into the wind. I am casting everywhere to get to the cover or structure.
I drag my C-Rig into the wind in 10+ feet of water and catch lots of fish so that bunks that theory of catching them only in one direction.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: It's a giant!
Given that bass are usually facing the current, do you cast into the wind? What's your thought process on boat position and casting?

Not if the wind is more than about 10 mph. then it's either backlash city or huge loops in spinning gear. If you are going to cast into a decent wind, remember to keep your lure as close to the water as possible when casting.
Wind is one factor, but I've caught lots of fish casting with the wind or cross wind, especially when using a trap.
Posted By: furim2

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 04:03 PM

I don't always cast into the wind, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: so do you always cast into the wind? - 02/27/15 05:33 PM

Always especially when throwing a jerkbait bolt
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum