Texas Fishing Forum

New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts??

Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX

New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 06:07 PM

Anybody try this new(???) Lew's reel and if so, any feedback?

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lew-s-am...1093+4294951148

Also and FYI, looks like a pretty good deal...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lew-s-to...1093+4294951148

Thanks.
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 06:14 PM

Keep in mind that this (both your refer to) is a 1-piece graphite frame, you will have flex in it. This information came directly from a Lews rep and other fisherman. If that doesnt bother you, it a decent deal. The better models have 1-piece metal/aluminum frame
Posted By: SAKS

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 08:34 PM

It also depends on how rough or frequent you are using it. It is still a $60 reel. Its only a good deal if your not wearing it out every 6 months.
Posted By: PokenAround

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 08:57 PM

Got one during the holidays but haven't had a chance to break it in. You have to compare it to all your other gear and the quality of it. When I first started fishin, all I had was Zebco's. That's what my grandparents bought me!

I think it is better than some of the Abu's that I have owned and used! But I ain't never had a $200-500 reel either!

They all catch!!
Posted By: Atta

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 09:05 PM

the MG is not a bad reel. great if your gonna use is sparingly. I have about 6-7 lews and have had zero issues with them. Grab you a MG.
Posted By: Wacky Walker

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 09:14 PM

+1. Cabela's had the MG's on clearance earlier this week for $79.99. They are now $99 which is still $30's off. Much better buy in my opinion. As Nitro stated, this model in Graphite. MG is one piece aluminum and has 9 bearings.
Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 09:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have a few of the Lew's BB series, but I have bought them used. Love the reels - just don't like to spend over 3 digits for them.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 10:40 PM

Graphite reels have to much flex in the reel seat area. I had a laser mg and it was great. It just felt like it was going to come out of the reel seat when reeling in fish. Stick with the speed spool and up.
Posted By: Tom Lombardo

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/26/15 10:51 PM

10 pound drag to lite. Agu garcia low end reels offer 15 pound drag.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/27/15 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom Lombardo
haha. Anymore drag than 10 lb might break the graphite reel seat. Lol.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/27/15 01:45 AM

I have a MG. I use it for Carolina rig. Never had an issue. I have never grown a finesse bait with it but it throws the heavy weight just fine
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/27/15 03:32 AM

They improved alot on the 99 reel its even better than before you just cant beat Lews. Im not sure on that 60 dollar reel Im sure it probably isnt that great.
Posted By: Ride 211

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/27/15 03:48 AM

I would stay away from both of those
Posted By: T54

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/27/15 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom Lombardo

Max drag and bearing count are probably the two most overrated specs in a bass fisbing reel. 10lbs of drag is plenty for bass fishing.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/27/15 02:07 PM

What good is 14lbs of drag if the level wind and line guide pawl go out on those cheap abu reels? I see no point in needing over 10lbs of drag other than using braid. Even then if you're Torquing drag to the max then it's not being utilized correctly.
Posted By: CajunPOG

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/27/15 09:49 PM

I picked one up, I already have a Lews Tournament that I like a lot.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: New??? Lew's reel - any thoughts?? - 02/27/15 10:38 PM

Too many good reels in the $100-150 that will last decades with a little maintenece. Not worth buying cheapo stuff and replacing them every few years or dumping parts into them every few months. End up spending just as much or more in the long run for lower performance.

Tried a graphite Penn offshore reel once, loaded up on a monster striper the darn thing flexed so much the gears basicly exploded. Graphite for side plates is fine not for the frame!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum