Texas Fishing Forum

Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question

Posted By: CCTX

Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 03:15 AM

Two baits that work really well this time of year include lipless crank baits (tight wobble) and wiggle warts (wide wiggle) They have actions that are on complete opposite ends of the side to side movement spectrum; so how is it that the two extremes work really well in cold water? Is it that the wiggle wart can be fished slowly resembling an early spring crawfish and the lipless tight wobble resembles a struggling shad?
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 03:33 AM

Shad raps (tight) do as well. You are right an extreme wobble either direction will out fish the mid range wobbles in cold water.
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 04:14 AM

I think it has to do with what that looks like to them using their lateral line, there has to be something about those actions which either mimics prey species or is just so weird that they are curious and wanna figure it out. I dont have a lateral line though so I guess I will never quite understand
Posted By: GILLZ

Re: Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 05:14 AM

My guess is both of them are catching fish off the same type of strike. The wide wiggle creates a reaction strike when it reflects off timber or the bottom. The tight wobble with the trap is a reaction bite either burning a bright colored bait or ripping grass. Same type of strike, reaction, different actions to get that strike.

Re: Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 02:17 PM

Thanks. Good ideas.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 02:35 PM

I have always thought tight wiggle does better in clear water, wide wobble in stained-muddy water.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 03:00 PM

I mostly use a tight wobble bait in cold water and a wide wobble in warmer or stained water.If you watch a school of shad in shallow water in the hot months they seen to roll around with their bodies and turn on their side alot.In cold water they seem to be more upright and their body action seems more streamlined.But as in everything the bass will do what they want. You just can't put a hard rule on them.

Re: Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: kirbydog
I have always thought tight wiggle does better in clear water, wide wobble in stained-muddy water.

Bill Dance agrees--he mentions that every now and then on his show.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Wide wiggle/Tight wobble question - 02/26/15 03:35 PM

It seems most of the time, the rat-l-baits are working when they are ripped free of grass or stumps. As mentioned above, the wider wobble probably gets bit more when it deflects off of cover or structure. NOT ALWAYS, but most of the time. I have seen wide wobble baits and tight wiggle baits catch fish when there was NO cover or structure to bounce off of. Just what the fish wanted at the time. Just some observations over the years. I have caught bigger fish with a wide wobble in colder water than throwing the idiot bait, but the idiot bait (rat-l-baits) seems to catch more fish. Go figure. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum