Texas Fishing Forum

Do boat ramps freeze up

Posted By: djones03

Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 05:48 PM

Im thinking of fishing wed morning at lake arlington. Its calling for snow, yet slightly above freezing(34-35). Is it dangerous to launch in these conditions, or do the grated ramps make it easier.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 05:49 PM

4 WD helps.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 05:57 PM

Because no body else will be on Arlington the ramps will look just like the unused roads. If the warmer temps melt the ramp it probably won't be till later in the day. Good news is if you start sliding down the ramp you will probably stop when your boat starts floating! :-)
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 06:06 PM

Swing by lowes and get you a few bags of sand and sand the ramp before you back down. But be carefull, once you break traction on a down hill slide you probably won't stop until the truck is floating. But I'd be more concerned about getting the boat back out once you get it in. Thats tough enough sometimes with just a wet ramp. Ice would be even tougher.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 06:08 PM

Think I would take some bags of kitty litter, just in case and find a ramp that sure isn't very steep.
Do you really think they will be biting after such an extreme drop in temperature?
God Bless
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Think I would take some bags of kitty litter, just in case and find a ramp that sure isn't very steep.
Do you really think they will be biting after such an extreme drop in temperature?
God Bless
yes, they will bite
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: SoonerDG
Swing by lowes and get you a few bags of sand and sand the ramp before you back down. But be carefull, once you break traction on a down hill slide you probably won't stop until the truck is floating. But I'd be more concerned about getting the boat back out once you get it in. Thats tough enough sometimes with just a wet ramp. Ice would be even tougher.

this^^^^
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 06:38 PM

You will need help getting in and out if the ramp is like the roads. The ramps may even be worse because of being non used. We have used two trucks before and about 3 tow straps to let each other down the ramp nice and slow. You do the same thing loading up. Once the back wheels of the truck touches the underwater part of the ramp it will hold. Load the back of your truck with bags of sand with a shovel to make a path for both tires tracks. Be safe and use the other truck for support even if you thank is is going to slide. Hook the truck front to front so the safety truck can see what is taking place and creep you down the ramp to unload and pull you up the ramp when loading out.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 06:44 PM

OK, sand but, we are NOT anywhere nearly as far south as Houston. Man, it's COLD up here in N.Central Texas....bone chilling 28 degree F COLD.
I am of the opinion, it may take several days of sunshine to warm even the shallows up even a small amount....???
IDK.... roflmao
God Bless
Posted By: snickers

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 06:46 PM

Put your life jacket on before getting in truck
Posted By: needmofish

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 06:59 PM

And roll down the window.

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:13 PM

If there is ice on the ramps, Ill probably just head back to be safe. Im off on wed mornings and would like to practice jerk bait fishing. No fish is worth sinking my truck. Im hoping the temps being above freezing will just make it cold and wet. I may bring some sand just to help out for loading, and arlington ramps are not very steep.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:30 PM

yes
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:34 PM

Get a couple 50 pound sacks of rock salt and a couple of sand and spread on the ramp. In about 30 min or so you'll be good to go

We used to do it at Monti when it was really nasty
Posted By: Slade

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:38 PM

I doubt they freeze over.........
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:38 PM

Get a winch and find a strong tree.
Posted By: rangerb

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers

And may sure your insurance is paid up... hmmm
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers

banana popcorn2
Posted By: Chet

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Slade

Striper fishing all winter in GA. I can tell you they do. When you get there and they have frost on them the first one down is ok, but when he pulls up the ramp get wet and very very slippery. Many mornings I stopped only when the back tires got in the water and would have stayed there without 4X4. They can freeze over.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 07:57 PM

The ramp will NOT freeze below the water line. When your back tires hit the water you will regain control if you are sliding.

Don't be scared...do it! Just be sure to have someone videoing it for us!
Posted By: Pop751

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast

The ramp will NOT freeze below the water line. When your back tires hit the water you will regain control if you are sliding.

Don't be scared...do it! Just be sure to have someone videoing it for us!

You could win $10,000 with that video on America's Funniest Home Videos.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 09:44 PM

hammer Du yes.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 09:48 PM

The fact that you asked this question gives me pause.

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet

Striper fishing all winter in GA. I can tell you they do. When you get there and they have frost on them the first one down is ok, but when he pulls up the ramp get wet and very very slippery. Many mornings I stopped only when the back tires got in the water and would have stayed there without 4X4. They can freeze over.

I was being cynical. My next post was going to say I figured they where all heated. I know I'm being a smart [censored] but I don't understand why someone would even ask if they freeze.

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

Quote of the week! Lmao

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 10:33 PM

The fact that I am a fairly new boat owner that wants to go fishing and am asking a question about safety before just going out and doing it gives you pause? I bet a lot of things give you pause.
Posted By: jbhall1183

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 10:34 PM

Not trying to be rude or mean but they say more snow Wednesday.. Just sounds stupid to go. If u go just don't get mad if something bad happens
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 10:34 PM

The best thing we have used is the ashes out of our fire place. Just spread it out over any ice that is there to help get traction.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 10:42 PM

Go to ramp and check it without boat. I can tell u the boat ramps at Arlington will freeze no one will use them if it's below freezing and wet it will be Ice
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 11:14 PM

I wasn't aware any boat ramp was exempt from freezing.

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 11:26 PM

Pulled into a gas station with a flat tire. Attendant looks at the truck, and asks "did you get a flat?" - I replied, " damndest thing, I was driving down the road and those other three just swelled up on me"

Here's your sign
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: djones03

The fact that I am a fairly new boat owner that wants to go fishing and am asking a question about safety before just going out and doing it gives you pause? I bet a lot of things give you pause.

I just don't think the science of water freezing at certain temps changes because you want to go fishing.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/23/15 11:46 PM

I remember a tournament on Fork yeas ago a fellow with a winch sat at the top of the ramp and pulled us up after we launched.
Posted By: D Miner

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 12:17 AM

I think the city would close the boat ramps down if there is ice on the ramps. They surely don't want people sliding out of control into the lake.
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 12:23 AM

Common sense should kick in at some point. I don't need anyone to tell me not to back down a frozen ramp.

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: SpiderJig
Common sense should kick in at some point. I don't need anyone to tell me not to back down a frozen ramp.

Some people lack common sense

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: djones03

I just don't think the science of water freezing at certain temps changes because you want to go fishing.

You are correct, but if you read my post, the low on wednesday is 34, in most atmospheric pressures in the south, freezing is 32. It is calling for snow, and I know that snow can stick and then form ice. If there is ice on the roads, I'm not pulling my boat to the ramp.
Posted By: txninja

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 12:38 AM

I go duck hunting a lot in below freezing Temps. Never thought about a ramp freezing up. Last time the water was 37 degrees and the air was 15 degrees.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 12:39 AM

You usually get traction when your back tires hit the water!!! Duck hunted off way too many frozen ramps over the years.
Posted By: 'Ole Man

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 01:25 AM

Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 03:29 AM

You will slide until you hit the water line, you'll get traction there unless theres lots of moss or algae
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 03:51 AM

After reading all of this, who in the hell would be dumb enough to try? Who's going to feel sorry for you if you lose your truck backing a damn boat down a ramp that is solid ice when it is 25 degrees outside... Duh....

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 05:22 AM

popcorn2 popcorn
This is the most entertainment since I sat at the boat ramp and watched the boats frozen on the trailers on Rayburn couple of years ago. (Like at the Classic!)
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 05:35 AM

Seems like putting the boat in the water wouldn't be the issue. It'd be getting the truck back up the ramp, especially once the boat's back on the trailer. Wet ramps can sometimes be slick to begin with pulling a boat out--icy ramps? Good luck.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 05:38 AM

Just bring a bag of salt or sand with you and throw it on the ramp.good to go.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: RangerBass21
Just bring a bag of salt or sand with you and throw it on the ramp.good to go.

+1
Posted By: 361V

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 01:57 PM

NO. Ramps do not freeze, only the roads all around them. There are no dumb questions. So we thought. Sorry! :-) Roads(and ramps) frozen around here and I'm board!
Posted By: fishon!

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 02:07 PM

Well inquiring minds want to know. Did you go?!
Posted By: northtexascrappiehunter

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 02:39 PM

after reading this post, I got in the truck and drove down to arrow head ramp here on LL, its clear no ice on the ramp at all. Still think Ill stay home and wish I went.

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 10:27 PM

You can always get a set of these! You boys up North Texas might need some Too! banana

http://zipgripgo.com/

Well after looking at OUR forecast for East Texas I might need to go get ME Some TOO!!! hammer

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 10:49 PM

I'm sure with the lower lake levels some Ramps seem like hell these days, but they will still freeze over.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 10:50 PM

I'm sure with the lower lake levels some Ramps seem like hell these days, but they will still freeze over.

At 34 degrees like the OP asked?

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 10:53 PM

Well I'm no scientist but I have stayed in a holiday inn before. If it's above 32 degrees then I doubt it.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 10:58 PM

This thread has sure been entertaining. I think more so for some than others. roflmao

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 11:04 PM

Lmao. Yep
Posted By: Gary R

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/24/15 11:31 PM

I've launched at Lake Arlington hundreds, if not thousands of times, in the last 40+ years. I live right by the lake. I wouldn't be backing down those Arkansas Lane ramps in this carp. No way.
Matter of fact, I bet the lake patrol closes them off anyway.

Just my 2cents
Posted By: James Weir

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/25/15 05:16 AM

I'm gonna check out the ramp at hubbard tomorrow. Should be 35 degrees at 11am. I'll probably wait until 1pm when it's around 41 degrees and see if I can safely launch...but I sure the hell won't launch if there's ice on the ramp.
Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/25/15 02:38 PM

I launched one time at Joe Pool in freezing temps. Was going to be a good weather day, but not yet light. I backed down the ramp, tried to stop, and just kept going. A real funny feeling when your sliding toward the water with the brakes locked. I did stop when back wheels hit the water. I launched, and practically couldn't even pull the trailer back up the ramp. I never even thought about the ramp freezing, but I do now.
Posted By: James Weir

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/25/15 03:28 PM

It's snowing outside but temps are 34 and climbing. As soon as the snow hits the pavement it melts. So far, no ice or snow on paved roads. Will go out in a lil bit to check the ramps.
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/25/15 04:16 PM

There was a world famous photo a while back on here of a guy who put in on the north side of Whitney along the river, while the steep ramp did not freeze, the bunk boards on his trailer did, after a day of fishing as he pulled up the very steep ramp his unhooked boat slid off the trailer right smack in the middle of the ramp,,, wisdom
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/26/15 12:53 AM

I have seen water build up ice on ramps when in the 20's.
Posted By: Pearlandtexan

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 02/26/15 01:01 AM

Boat ramps freeze up, and DOWN! Both directions! grin
Posted By: BassHunter 69

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 03/01/15 03:21 AM

Many years ago it was in the teens and the power plant at north Lake was running Wide open. I couldn't resist So I went and caught a mess. When I pulled the boat out I stopped on the top part of the ramp to put on tie downs and when I walked to the back of the boat I nearly fell and slid all the way down to the lake. It had frozen that fast and it was a power plant lake so Yes they will freeze.
Posted By: Top Waters

Re: Do boat ramps freeze up - 03/01/15 05:02 AM

if you really want to fish it, go by an irrigation supply dealer (ewing, John Deere Landscapes, Metro, Longhorn, etc) and buy a bag of "ice melt". put it out on the ramp the night before and the ice will not accumulate on the ramp. if it does, it will be minimal and easy to remove. it is what all the retail stores have applied to their sidewalks and parking lots before big ice storms to prevent liability.

http://www.uline.com/BL_7050/Ice-Melt?gclsrc=aw.ds
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum