Texas Fishing Forum

LAKE ATHENS ADVICE

Posted By: wagonwheel

LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/22/15 01:34 PM

I'm thinking about going to Lake Athens soon. Can anyone offer advice on hazards there? What should I watch out for, is it safe to get on plane, how is the weekend crowd? Any tips on fishing there would also be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/22/15 02:18 PM

No hazards at all.
Weekend crowds minimal this year
Bass have not started moving up for spawn, still 8-22 ft new grass and ledges
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/22/15 02:26 PM

Listen to this guy ^^^^ he KNOWS the lake
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/22/15 04:01 PM

There are some trees on a few points out there that come out into the water a little bit, but you can spot them pretty easily. Also a few, flat shallow points around. Just keep an eye on your navionics if you've got it and your sonar. All in all you shouldn't have any problems. thumb
Posted By: Nutman

Re: LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/22/15 06:52 PM

Find the grass beds new the creek channels or on the main lake points, they are easy to find and lots of them. Fish black n blue or blackberry worms early, go to W/M w/ red or feb pumpkin w/ purple brush hogs
Mid day throw a sexy shad crank on the deeper drop offs
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/22/15 07:07 PM

Yep still on or near break lines. Was there yesterday.
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/22/15 09:31 PM

Thanks for the advice. My son (and best fishing buddy) will be home for spring break soon and we are planning a day trip over there. I might go (with the wife) before he gets home to check it out ahead of time. I mostly don't want to crash the boat. Thanks again for the advice and tips.
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/22/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: wagonwheel
Thanks for the advice. My son (and best fishing buddy) will be home for spring break soon and we are planning a day trip over there. I might go (with the wife) before he gets home to check it out ahead of time. I mostly don't want to crash the boat. Thanks again for the advice and tips.
There is nothing to crash into... Going out of the boat lane stay toward the right because the left bank is shallow. The rest of the lake is wide open, just stay in the middle and cut the points to close because there are stumps off the two points on the right side running to the dam from the boat ramp. I will be there 3 or 4 days during spring break as well. Im in white and midnight blue basscat cougar w/250 pro xs. Stop by and say hi if you see me and good luck!
Posted By: meP2too

Re: LAKE ATHENS ADVICE - 02/23/15 05:09 AM

there are random stumps in the upper end of the lake(under the bridge). down lake behind the island there are some random stumps too, but they are shallow.. a few extended points that are shallow, these are marked.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum