Texas Fishing Forum

Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat

Posted By: franchi

Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:30 AM

I am amazed how it is normal to spend that kind of money. Especially every few yearso
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:37 AM

$40k, must be used....
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:39 AM

As my dad would say, "A new bass boat means someone owes someone a lot of money."
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:40 AM

Well, I did BUT, only because I was not looking for a late model or new and it was to be my first bass boat and NO, I was going to pay cash and owe nothing on my new 'hobby'.
Someday maybe, God willing
God Bless
Posted By: Andy W

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:52 AM

I came close to pulling the trigger about a year ago. The more I thought about the more stupid it sounded, 60-70k for a boat. I needed a heavy boat that could handle windy TX days and I realized it didn't need to be brand new to do it. Dropped my price range down to 30k and bought a tank for less than 20. 520 does everything I need it to. Don't get me wrong, them shiny new rigs are nice but, 70k nice? Then again, I'm just a baller on a budget.
Posted By: RickS

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:55 AM

I didn't. Got hooked around 17 years ago, my second child was on her way. Just starting my family. Was lucky my wife let me get it. My 97 Nitro 800 with Mercury 150 XR 6 was 17K. Still have it and I still love it!
Posted By: Chet

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:57 AM

Absolutely, if you take a little time you can find all the bells and whistles for less than that. I bought a Z119 Ranger with less than 40 hours for a bunch less. Had to upgrade the electronics but still way under 40K. You may have to go to a 2 year old model but the right one is always out there. It just takes some patience and looking around to find a really nice boat with most of the depreciation taken out. Now if you're going to be fishing in big time tournys than maybe you need to spend more but for a 100-125 days a year guy you can find the right boat for quite a bit under the 40K number.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 02:33 AM

I looked at a new Ranger yesterday that could easily be well over $70k once you put all the toys you want on it OMG
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 02:56 AM

Don't forget if you're not paying cash there's another $10K+ or so in interest on top of the sticker price. cyclop

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:01 AM

?? Thought you had a pretty nearly new Basscat? Wrong?
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I looked at a new Ranger yesterday that could easily be well over $70k once you put all the toys you want on it OMG
Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:08 AM

There only one thing I've ever spent more than $20k for and I live in it.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas

I can still look lol

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:36 AM

That I completely understand... thumb I literally drool over many on here and some for sale a lot.
Well, your still a young man, I hope you get one shipmate!
God Bless
Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas

I can still look lol
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:37 AM

I wouldn't spend more than 10-15 and even that would be stretching it. Nothing that I can do in a 70k boat that I can't do in a 15k boat. I did the new boat thing once and every time it scraped a stump I would cringe. I found my old beater skeeter was more fun to fish in. I never worried what happened to it.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 04:08 AM

Chet hit the nail on the head. You have to look, look, look, and look. They are out there.

I picked mine up for "way" less than 70K with all the toys.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 04:10 AM

Really nice shipmate!! Congratulations on a beauty
God Bless
Originally Posted By: BThomas
Chet hit the nail on the head. You have to look, look, look, and look. They are out there.

I picked mine up for "way" less than 70K with all the toys.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 04:15 AM

Benny don't forget to put the plug in!

lol

Nice ride sir
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 04:15 AM

I am normally a new boat guy, this year I bought a one year old boat for 50K, new it would have been at least 65K. If you can afford it get what you want.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
I am normally a new boat guy, this year I bought a one year old boat for 50K, new it would have been at least 65K. If you can afford it get what you want.
I agree with this. I like having a nice boat and other things in life I can do w/o. Would never strap myself or family for one, but I save and take on extra work to afford a nice boat. Have been buying 1 yr old. And I agree w/ above poster, it doesn't catch anymore fish than old beat-up boat, but makes me happy cheers
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 04:54 AM

Doug- LOL. It's got the remote plug in the splash well.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 05:03 AM

If I spend that much on a boat its not getting around stumps, its not going to be beached at the ramp, no one will eat in it, no one will smoke or drink in it, no one will have sex in it. Fact is no one is getting in it. So to answer your question, hell no I wouldnt buy a boat that cost that much, the boat doesnt make the fisherman.
Posted By: xanadu

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 09:35 AM

Does it really matter what other people spend on a boat? Buy what boat YOU enjoy and don't worry about the boats that other people have.
Posted By: WCLBASS

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 10:40 AM

Boats are just like cars and houses,reasonable people buy the best they can afford without over spending their income,the other factor is how bad do I want one item(boat) over another(tow vehicle)or nicer house etc.So it boils down to how much you want to spend on one item verses another,I've run w/ this idea until I think I've even confused myself sorry guys ! frkazoid

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 10:50 AM

Nahhhhhhhhh......say it ain't so! Confused? No, not my buddy roflmao
Originally Posted By: WCLBASS
Boats are just like cars and houses,reasonable people buy the best they can afford without over spending their income,the other factor is how bad do I want one item(boat) over another(tow vehicle)or nicer house etc.So it boils down to how much you want to spend on one item verses another,I've run w/ this idea until I think I've even confused myself sorry guys ! frkazoid
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 11:06 AM

Personally, there's no way I would spend over $30k on a boat. Most I've ever spent was $15k and I'm not sure I could talk myself to much over but I have the thought of $30k in my mind. I like the new ones and if a guy can buy one that's good for them. I do think if people would not buy for a year I do think prices would become better. That goes for all things fishing related, power poles, graphs, all kinds of things. To each his own though.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 12:39 PM

$40k? You're still not in the ballpark. I've never spent more than $25k on a car. Sure not spending any more than $10k-$15k on a boat.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 12:46 PM

I would LOVE to spend $50 to $60k on a lightly used/Pro Turn In or Demo bass boat, especially a Ranger but, when a hobby, which is what fishing is to me, may in any way take away from any possibility from helping my family, then no. I would not.
But still, frkazoid hey, ya never know. Might win the Lottery! roflmao
God Bless
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper

We're not all loaded like you KappyHamper.
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 12:51 PM

Not only did I not spend more than 10K on my boat, but it has a 40 HP 4 stroke engine. I get plenty of fishing trips out of my 10 gal tank. I don't worry one bit about bumping into stumps or beaching it--it's full of scratches! I usually talk to folks at the landing, many times those in the nicer boats haven't done any better than me. I also fish with inexpensive fishing poles. But hey, I'm cheap!

In all seriousness, you know what your budget is, you know what the boat is worth to you, don't live above your means or short change your family on anything. Life is short--be happy.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Devil Horse
If I spend that much on a boat its not getting around stumps, its not going to be beached at the ramp, no one will eat in it, no one will smoke or drink in it, no one will have sex in it. Fact is no one is getting in it. So to answer your question, hell no I wouldnt buy a boat that cost that much, the boat doesnt make the fisherman.

Now that's funny

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 12:59 PM

Well shoot!! No sex in the boat? Aw man...LOL, takes all the fun out of a fisherman continuing to look.... roflmao
God Bless
Originally Posted By: franchi
Originally Posted By: Devil Horse

Now that's funny

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:06 PM

Here is my thinking. For those that spend money on new rangers, basscats, or whatever , especially doing so every 5 years. Look at it this way. Your adding at least another 10 years of work before you retire. Retiring early or at least when your still healthy enough to enjoy a good 10 years or more before you fall apart is more valuble to me that a top of the line new boat every 5 years or so
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:11 PM

Well. I'd spend $100000 on a bass boat. If I had it. HAHAHAHA

Problem is. I don't. I might spend up to around 40-50k on a boat this year, but it will be financed.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:37 PM

Inflation is crazy! I only paid $18K for my first 3BR house!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 01:48 PM

Humorous story here... I was at a restaurant yesterday morning and a local Skeeter dealership owner was there leaving at the same time I was. We chit chatted for a few mins and he asked if "I was ready to buy a new boat"? Well, I said "I'd love too but they have surpassed my income/pay scale abilities, I can't afford a new boat". Then he goes "tell me about it, I just priced new trucks and they were like $65k for a new diesel 4x4".

noidea

hmmm

noidea

hmmm

2 years ago, this man was telling me how much his Skeeter cost with all the bells & whistles, $72k! He's a really nice guy and quite helpful but I can see a truck being worth more than a boat any day of any week during any year.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 02:12 PM

Uhg new truck and new boat, two 60k 15 year loans @ 3.5% is around 40k in interest, then you have your insurance mortgage and taxes on top of that eeks I can't swallow that unless the boss decides to double my salary lol. Even then that's alot to pp away on luxury.

Cash is king
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 02:28 PM

I don't know if I would pay 40,000. I always said one day I would have a 20 footer but the 18 footers are getting up there in price. If I did it would have to be a boat someone won in a tournament as was 15 grand cheaper than dealership. Otherwise there is always someone out there that bought more than they can afford that needs to get rid of it. I wonder if prices would come down if everyone decided not to buy a boat for rest of the year lol.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 02:49 PM

Yes, I refuse to pay $40k for a boat because there are too many nice ones for much less.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 02:57 PM

I won't spend more than 20k and that's pushing it. I can take a lot of guide trips and not have to deal with storing and maintenance on a 50k rig.
Posted By: Royalsblue

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:02 PM

I bought my 98 Ranger 518 for 6500 a few years ago and it does all I need it to! Plus I have the money to fish whenever and were ever I like. The new ones are pretty though
Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:07 PM

100 years ago, my first house cost 23,000. I was fishing with a friend of mine, I got lucky, and caught the first three fish. He interrupted a phone call, said " I gotta go, I'm getting my butt kicked by an old man with a $20.00 pole. My first boat was a used 12 foot aluminum model with a ten horse Merc. I loved that thing, and caught a ton of fish out of it. You can see where I'm coming from.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:12 PM

No, to hard on boats to spend that much, still fishing out of my 93 PII that I paid 12k for in 1997. That being said, I do want to upgrade to like a 2007- 2009 Basscat 20 footer with a 250 on it for my last boat in the next year or so,
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:13 PM

The way I see it, if you can afford it why not. Your not guarranteed tomorrow, im going to live now.
Posted By: Slade

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:30 PM

Here's another way of looking at it, I was just looking at used boats and thinking to myself well, I can see spending $30K on the right deal. My wife was looking at new cars, smaller SUV's, and the nice ones are in the $35-40k range, and I was thinking that's too much money for one of those....

But then I look at high end bass boats going from $70k and way up, the first house I bought was like $85k. It's crazy. But I think it boils down to what people see as their monthly payments and justify that they can afford it. The only other people that will spend that kind of money or have those kind of boats are pros that don't pay for it themselves or the ultra rich people that can never be out done by anyone. I work with a guy that if he was a bass fisherman he would have one of those.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 03:40 PM

It's also funny because I have a $15k boat, and a $45k truck but I leave my boat in the garage at all times and leave the tuck outside. And I cringe when I hit stumps, or anything like that in my boat. So if I had one of those real expensive ones, I would probably drive myself crazy trying to keep it looking brand new.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 04:26 PM

I don't know, seems simple to me. Whether it's a boat, a car, home, etc., there are options at all price points. Get the option that you can justify & is within your personal means.
Posted By: snmcc

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 04:46 PM

I am boat shopping right now with about 12k in cash and every time I think about that being a down payment I hurt inside. I will be getting an older boat for sure....
Posted By: Scott Gordon

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 05:10 PM

I cannot believe the sticker pricing of several top named bass boats eclipsing $100k! Back in 2002 I attended the Kansas City Sportsman Show and Champion had their "Harley Davidson" special edition rig on display. This was an incredible boat, decked out with every upgrade and option that was available back in 2002 with a sticker price of $26k! Back in 2006 when we bought a brand new Ranger VX521 off the showroom floor we paid $46k after taxes and financing. I thought that was as high as pricing would go but never in my wildest imagination would I ever thought the retail pricing would exceed $100k!
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: JMac-D
The way I see it, if you can afford it why not. Your not guarranteed tomorrow, im going to live now.

THAT WHAT MY DAD USE TO SAY, YOU ONLY LIVE ONE TIME IN LIFE. YOU NOT PROMISE COME BY TOMORROW. SO IF YOU CAN AFFORD GET IT.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 10:56 PM

Not unless I can pay cash for it
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: snmcc
I am boat shopping right now with about 12k in cash and every time I think about that being a down payment I hurt inside. I will be getting an older boat for sure....

You and me both. I paid around 12k cash for mine and have no regrets. Well worth the money and gets me anywhere any newer boat would and it'll get me there faster. All I need is a couple power poles and I'm set!

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/21/15 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Bissett
Originally Posted By: snmcc

You and me both. I paid around 12k cash for mine and have no regrets. Well worth the money and gets me anywhere any newer boat would and it'll get me there faster. All I need is a couple power poles and I'm set!

That's my problem. I save 10k and think that would look a lot better in my Roth.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 12:45 AM

I think for us middle aged guys, 40+. Having money saved in 401k's, Roth IRA's, stock plans, etc. Is more of a concern. Because you guys are right, there are no guarantees about tomorrow but at some point you have to plan on financing yourself when your too old to work. Because if you don't then you're screwed.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Slade
I think for us middle aged guys, 40+. Having money saved in 401k's, Roth IRA's, stock plans, etc. Is more of a concern. Because you guys are right, there are no guarantees about tomorrow but at some point you have to plan on financing yourself when your too old to work. Because if you don't then you're screwed.

That is about it. I used to want the new bike, truck or boat. Now I see retirement in the future and I look at things differently. I no longer care about all the bling. I always say that I have outgrown it. I don't need to be faster, bigger or shinier than anyone else. I just need it to function to my expectations and cost as little as possible. I'm fishing a tournament next month and even if I got lucky and won the boat, I wouldn't keep it. I look at how many bills I could pay off by selling it and buying one for around 10-15k instead.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

That is about it. I used to want the new bike, truck or boat. Now I see retirement in the future and I look at things differently. I no longer care about all the bling. I always say that I have outgrown it. I don't need to be faster, bigger or shinier than anyone else. I just need it to function to my expectations and cost as little as possible. I'm fishing a tournament next month and even if I got lucky and won the boat, I wouldn't keep it. I look at how many bills I could pay off by selling it and buying one for around 10-15k instead.

I think just like you but have since I was 22 years old. I am way ahead of the ggame in retirement because I haven't bought toys. I don't judge anyone and what they do with their hard earned money but I honestly don't think a lot of folks truly understand how much money they are losing in the long run by owning these 50k and up rigs. I know a lot of folks that are broke because of their boats and such. My hope is that retire and buy the nice one then.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: CoachWhite34™
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

I think just like you but have since I was 22 years old. I am way ahead of the ggame in retirement because I haven't bought toys. I don't judge anyone and what they do with their hard earned money but I honestly don't think a lot of folks truly understand how much money they are losing in the long run by owning these 50k and up rigs. I know a lot of folks that are broke because of their boats and such. My hope is that retire and buy the nice one then.

You're ahead of me, in my 20's I was raising kids and trying to find my way, I opened my 401k back then but it wasn't as important as it is now. I have worked for a good company for over 20 years and I'm Lucky to have a small pension and continue building my 401k. I'm hoping to retire by 60, the time goes faster than young people realize I can tell you that.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:27 AM

Here is my thinking. For those that spend money on new rangers, basscats, or whatever , especially doing so every 5 years. Look at it this way. Your adding at least another 10 years of work before you retire. Retiring early or at least when your still healthy enough to enjoy a good 10 years or more before you fall apart is more valuble to me that a top of the line new boat every 5 years or so

I work full time, fish 150-200 days a year and will likely retire at 54-57, depending on a couple of factors. And I own a decent rig.

I have never understood on TFF why people form "lynch mobs" against those who like to have newer boats or those who buy new boats on a regular 1-3 year basis. It's always baffled me, you know some people can actually afford the boat they want.

I see people with kids buying $100+ jeans for kids, $100+ shoes, spend thousands on video games and sport activities, and buy expensive cars for youngsters. But, it's their money and they are free to do with it as they please,

I cannot agree with this theory, at least not from the world I live in....

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:32 AM

Each of us has our plans/dreams. If I were 10 or even 15 years younger BEFORE retirement and fished as many days as you do, probably feel the same way.
But, water under the bridge. I don't fish that much and forced to retire a few years earlier than I planned. So, paid everything off, some in the bank and paid for small fishing rig.
It's a hobby, fun, but still a hobby.
God Bless

I work full time, fish 150-200 days a year and will likely retire at 54-57, depending on a couple of factors. And I own a decent rig.

I cannot agree with this theory, at least not from the world I live in....
Posted By: Samboy04

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:35 AM

Honestly I don't know how everybody does it! I have a good job and my wife is a nurse! Yeah I have nice things, a 2013 3/4 ton chevy, a 2007 ranger 188vs. I get to the ramp and all I see are 60-70k trucks and 60-70k boats, those guys truck and boat payments are probably twice as much as my mortgage. I appreciate everything I have because I have busted my a** to get where I'm at, just don't know how so many people do it. Am I missing something?

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Samboy04
Honestly I don't know how everybody does it! I have a good job and my wife is a nurse! Yeah I have nice things, a 2013 3/4 ton chevy, a 2007 ranger 188vs. I get to the ramp and all I see are 60-70k trucks and 60-70k boats, those guys truck and boat payments are probably twice as much as my mortgage. I appreciate everything I have because I have busted my a** to get where I'm at, just don't know how so many people do it. Am I missing something?

If you figure it out, let me know. Sometimes when I go to Fork, it looks like a Boat show, with all the awesome new boats. More power to them, I could probably pull it off, but it would be hard, and I think I would be so worried about getting a scratch on it that it would drive me crazy.
Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:50 AM

They have a lot of disposable income or they are up to their neck in debt.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 03:00 AM

BINGO~~!!!! We have a winner...... clap
Originally Posted By: Robbie Milam

They have a lot of disposable income or they are up to their neck in debt.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 03:04 AM

get rid of the wife and kids lol

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 03:17 AM

get rid of the wife and kids lol

I would but the wife makes to good a money! bolt

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 03:31 AM

I bought a 1986 Ranger Bass Masters Classic in 1986 brand spanking new, I have bought probably 15 new boats since then, if you have your first boat paid for when you start upgrading it is not that hard to stay in a new boat.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 04:10 AM

That makes sense happy kamper. Because if I upgrade to a $30 k boat and can get $12k out of mine then it's like $18k. So it doesn't seem as bad
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 04:17 AM

Yes. My wife refuses to let me buy a 40k boat.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 05:13 AM

yea I was the 40k range but can't justify that much since I don't fish that much but definitely will fish more when I get a boat then realized I want a new truck my 03 GMC has no problems but easier to drive a truck to work down I-30 than a boat and i've been looking for 2+ years and working lots of overtime so now gonna work my butt off one more year and barring there are no major setbacks and all the lakes haven't dried up lol and reward myself with a new truck and boat next year. The truck will definitely be more than the boat for sure, probably finance the boat for 6-7 years and probably be my last boat, since, I just started back fishing in 2012 and going another year without buying a boat will be really hard. but can't keep up the pace of working so much and having no play time.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By: FMJshooter
Don't forget if you're not paying cash there's another $10K+ or so in interest on top of the sticker price. cyclop

No not always unless your credit sucks then yes you will

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 09:58 AM

Trading up to a $40k bass rig, well at least in my house, have been told by the 'boss', spells D-I-V-O-R-C-E !! frkazoid
Sigh.....oh well, like Doug, "I can look"!! roflmao
God Bless

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78
Originally Posted By: FMJshooter

No not always unless your credit sucks then yes you will

Even a 10 year loan of 50k at 2.5% is 6,500! I didn't do much loan shopping but with an 800 credit score 2.5 was around the going rate. Just hope folks understand compound interest before signing the line!

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 01:19 PM

My 'score' is almost mirroring yours and like you, man, the interest charges....even at 2.5%!!! Arghhhhh....but, I was retiring when I bought my rig....so financially, the income was not going to be the same. So that pretty much made my mind up for me. Reality!!
If you can't or don't pay cash.....then, it's probably not right at least if your in the latter stages of life such as I am.
Yep, compound interest is AWFUL !!!
God Bless
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 01:54 PM

Yes I refuse to. This summer is going to be the end to power boats being able to launch

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:35 PM

I've actually had auto dealership tell me they weren't going to make money off the sale. So they weren't going to sell me the truck. All because I wasn't trading my truck,wasn't going to use their financing, and they offered supplier pricing. So in other words we aren't going to stick it to you so we don't want to do business with you. It's the same in boat business. So don't ever think you got a good deal buying for dealership.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:40 PM

Oh man, I sure hope your wrong on this one. I just 'started' my fishing hobby.
Pray for LOTS of rain, LOTS!!!!
God Bless
Originally Posted By: SpiderJig
Yes I refuse to. This summer is going to be the end to power boats being able to launch

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:54 PM

eeks
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 02:57 PM

It's not abut how much money you can die with. It's about how many memories you can make before you die.
No one knows when it's your time, so make as many memories as you can doing what you love with the money that you have. Greed and envy get you no where in the memory bank! I can afford a 70,000 boat, I just wouldn't be able to fish 100 days a year. My two trucks, 5th wheel trailer, and 2 boats are paid off, and have been paid off for years. I fish 2 bass clubs, have a membership to a private bass lease, share a lot with my dad on Fork, I wouldn't be able to afford all of that with a 70,000 boat payment. Before I retire I will trade up and get me a newer boat.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 03:09 PM

I must say you bass guys are to be appreciated, always know where to come for a supreme dose of ego. Always fun to read popcorn

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 04:25 PM

It's not about how much money you can die with. But if you haven't seen what happens to seniors in this country that don't have enough money to survive it's very sad. If they need government assistance and do you think many people in their 80's and up won't have health issues? To get medicaid or anything beyond social security they can't own anything. No land, no property, vehicles, etc.

So the two choices are to put things like that in their kids or grandkids names or sell off everything and live in assisted living. It can happen to anyone. I've seen it happen and it's sad. They just didn't save enough back then, no one had 401ks back in the 50's, and not everyone was rich or worked for a company that had a good pension plan.

I'm not saying a $40k or $70k boat will put you in that situation, I'm just saying for some of us, having more money set aside for those golden years is just as or more important than buying expensive rigs. Some guys have a lot of money and are financially set to be able to do whatever they want and that's awesome. But you can't tell me everyone pulling a $50k boat with a $50k truck is financially independent.

Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 04:30 PM

Why do so many care about how others choose to spend their money?

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 04:32 PM

Well spoken young man!! Couldn't have said it better.
God Bless
It's not about how much money you can die with. But if you haven't seen what happens to seniors in this country that don't have enough money to survive it's very sad. If they need government assistance and do you think many people in their 80's and up won't have health issues? To get medicaid or anything beyond social security they can't own anything. No land, no property, vehicles, etc.

So the two choices are to put things like that in their kids or grandkids names or sell off everything and live in assisted living. It can happen to anyone. I've seen it happen and it's sad. They just didn't save enough back then, no one had 401ks back in the 50's, and not everyone was rich or worked for a company that had a good pension plan.

I'm not saying a $40k or $70k boat will put you in that situation, I'm just saying for some of us, having more money set aside for those golden years is just as or more important than buying expensive rigs. Some guys have a lot of money and are financially set to be able to do whatever they want and that's awesome. But you can't tell me everyone pulling a $50k boat with a $50k truck is financially independent.

Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
wether they admit it or not, jealousy

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 04:36 PM

I should have stated that I don't care. I say more power to whoever wants to buy whatever they want or live however they want. I think the conversation got a little off track, the original question was would anyone not buy a $40k boat. But as we've seen its more complicated the more thought you put into it.

I can't say I would or I wouldn't. I don't have one, but I can see how it would be pretty easy to trade up and be in one.

Live life, have fun and buy what you can afford. That's the best answer I have.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 04:40 PM

I'm not one bit jealous of guys that have bigger, better boats than I do. I am jealous of the guys that catch DD's and Sharelunkers!

I'm happy and thankful for what I have, and I keep dreaming of a SAL not a new boat. But that's just how I am I guess.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 05:02 PM

I am!!! roflmao but, that's ok. It's ok (at least I think it is) to 'drool' over anothers' new, high dollar rig. I try to never fail to compliment he/she on their rig.
However they got it, sure is nice to see anglers on here that have such technology!
God Bless
(But, I'm still jealous - roflmao)
I'm not one bit jealous of guys that have bigger, better boats than I do. I am jealous of the guys that catch DD's and Sharelunkers!

I'm happy and thankful for what I have, and I keep dreaming of a SAL not a new boat. But that's just how I am I guess.
Posted By: T-Rig Ranger

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 06:01 PM

If you are answering this question then you must be basing it on your current financial position. The question should be restated to say "Do you believe you are in a financial position where you would buy a $40k boat". If anyone had a billion dollars and wanted a bass boat I am sure they wouldn't think twice about it.
Posted By: turtdogg

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 06:35 PM

I spent 7000 on a 97 hydrasport ls185 and evinrude 150 about 8 yrs ago. I've put about 1200 in electronics on it, and put 2 lower units on it. I've caught just as many fish out of it as my buddy that has a 60+ thousand triton. Of course, older boats may require spending a little on them from time to time but I would rather do that than pay 70+ for a new one. But it's everyone's personal preference, there is no right or wrong here. Just my .02

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 06:41 PM

I just hope my kids don't bring someone home to marry that believes in buying everything you want cause you might die tomorrow attitude. I taught them better than that and I'll do everything I can to run that person off. How about saving your money cause the chances of you getting laid off are better than you dieing? Chances are they wouldn't even have enough life insurance to cover all the stuff they owe.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Randy Harrell
There only one thing I've ever spent more than $20k for and I live in it.

lol_2
Posted By: formula462

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 06:48 PM

I don't see a problem if you can afford it and I don't mean "I can make the payments"afford. I couldn't buy one but I could make the payments on one if that makes any sense

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 06:49 PM

Where does this cr@p come from, the post is about folks who don't want to or can't afford to buy big rigs or don't think it's a smart thing to do. It's not about folks who can afford to or want to own expensive rigs. It's not about being jealous but apparently there are some folks who are a little sensitive about the topic.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet

Where does this cr@p come from, the post is about folks who don't want to or can't afford to buy big rigs or don't think it's a smart thing to do. It's not about folks who can afford to or want to own expensive rigs. It's not about being jealous but apparently there are some folks who are a little sensitive about the topic.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 07:01 PM

I will give you a prime example of when I think it is smart to buy a 40K dollar boat. My son has a boat that is paid for and is worth around 30K, I have a boat for sale that is 4 years newer with all the goodies on it, I will let him have it for 40K, he can drop 10K and get a lot newer boat, even though his boat is in show room condition I think this would be a good move for him, he is about to get married so I can understand him not doing it but it is a heck of a deal to upgrade that much for 10K.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 07:44 PM

I like to say I could care less what others spend but it does bother me a bit. I'm in my thirties and when I talk retirement planning with folks my age it's usually met with blank stares. Too many people fast and loose with debt can effect everyone just look at the the housing market over the last decade. Less people retiring combined with a stagnant or declining economy equals less jobs and less growth opportunity for new workers. It's happening now but I fear for our kids when It's my generations turn to retire crazy Maybe I'm just paranoid but between student loans, new autos, big houses and all kinds of toys there's either alot of people making 500k a year or a lot of people not planning for the future...
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet

Not sensitive at all. I have an '08 that is far from new. Read through the replies. Some posts are assuming an awful lot in regards to the guys buying new rigs and their finances. Some guys seem to think new rigs equate to guys being maxed out credit wise.

The whole point of the forum is to interact and share ideas and opinions. We may not always agree but by your reply calling out folks for being sensitive you kind of are being a tad sensitive yourself about it yourself.

Personally I am happy for anyone that is lucky enough to own any type of boat, old or new and big or small. Its a true gift to be able to get out and enjoy the lakes we have in Texas. I hope guys keep buying new ones so it will give me more options should I ever buy another boat. As always if I do it will be used.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:01 PM

I wouldn't call the way I feel jealousy. I could go and buy a new boat tomorrow, already got the wife's approval. My deal is I can't justify my note being as much if not more than my mortgage. I don't care about what Joe Blow does with his money, because it's his money! What does bother me is the fact that boat manufacturers put a 100k price tag on a boat and idiots will actually buy it, in turn the whole market goes through the roof on new and used boats! Is it ever gonna stop? Boats keep higher, tackle is not getting cheaper, gas going up! Getting kinda ridiculous, to each his own! JMO!
Posted By: lakeforkfishon

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:03 PM

No way I would ever spend close to that.
Posted By: Triton-x

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:13 PM

I figure it like this. I don't smoke, drink, dip, use crack or have a porn addiction. So a big boat nice and new really isn't that bad ! When your in a new boat you don't worry about it not starting or pumps quit-in and other issues - just worry about catching fish.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:14 PM

What does bother me is the fact that boat manufacturers put a 100k price tag on a boat and idiots will actually buy it..

Are they idiots if they can pay cash for it?

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:16 PM

Man, she's a beauty!! Am glad for you.....LOL, one day, maybe, a winning lottery ticket. Hey ya never know....
God Bless
Originally Posted By: Triton-x
I figure it like this. I don't smoke, drink, dip, use crack or have a porn addiction. So a big boat nice and new really isn't that bad ! When your in a new boat you don't worry about it not starting or pumps quit-in and other issues - just worry about catching fish.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Triton-x

very nice rig thumb

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: B. Dill
What does bother me is the fact that boat manufacturers put a 100k price tag on a boat and idiots will actually buy it..

The question is, is it worth 100k? It's not about how much money you have, it's about the manufacturers controlling the market. Look I don't care, but as fisherman we always hear this and that about preserving the future for young anglers and such! What are we doing by buying boats for that kind of money! Is my four year old son gonna have to be a doctor to afford a nice bass boat by the time he's old enough to buy one?
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:33 PM

Funny thing is if someone didn't spend 50k+ on a new boat, then there wouldn't be any 20k used boats available!

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 08:34 PM

The question is, is it worth 100k? It's not about how much money you have, it's about the manufacturers controlling the market. Look I don't care, but as fisherman we always hear this and that about preserving the future for young anglers and such! What are we doing by buying boats for that kind of money! Is my four year old son gonna have to be a doctor to afford a nice bass boat by the time he's old enough to buy one?

He will more than likely be able to afford one if he owns his own business and does not pay all the taxes and stuff we pay to the gov smile

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 09:09 PM

It is worth what one is willing to pay for it. Boats did not go down in price during the horrible economy, that tells me that they are selling them for what they have to have to make a profit and to stay in business.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 09:23 PM

My answer is "NO". I won't spend that much on a boat. I've bought one new boat and that was in '97. I lost around 8K when I sold it 5 years later. At least I sold it for $8K less than what it cost me. I try to buy right and sell right. I made up for it on my last two boats, bought right and sold right. I'm boat payment free and have been since '08. Now I have a '07 boat with 294 hrs that runs perfectly. Why sell it and have to spend more money on the same thing? It just depends on where your money needs to go. Mine goes to Univ of Ark and in less than 2 years, I will have two kids attending college at the same time. Currently, my new boat is tied up in college tuition. After my kids are out of school, my priorities may change.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 09:30 PM

Your boat doesn't catch you fish, a lot buy expensive boats to stroke their egos and run up and down the lake. roflmao

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 09:35 PM

ah, well no it doesn't. But like the previous poster, sure would be nice to have one with everything on it new and under warranty should anything go wrong.
The big bass boat manufacturers are listening to fishermen and the layouts and how they are equipped has changed greatly, much for the better!
Would be nice but, roflmao I'll just meet ya at the ramp and drool over yours, for now clap
God Bless
Originally Posted By: RangerBass21
Your boat doesn't catch you fish, a lot buy expensive boats to stroke their egos and run up and down the lake. roflmao

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 09:58 PM

I guess I need to add that it does make me jealous if mine is being worked on and I can't be on the water and A guy with a new rig doesn't have to worry about some of the small things that can break on an older boat.

Honestly if I ever buy a new boat it will have more to do with the piece of mind that if I take care of it and maintain it,
It will be exactly what I want and should last me for a long time.
Posted By: gonfshn

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/22/15 10:57 PM

No way, no how..obviously a LOT of folks are willing to spend the money and that's fine--I've envious and wish I had the disposable income to buy a new boat, but as a guy who can only get on the water 40-60 days a year I can't justify that type of spend on my income. Personally, I own a PAID FOR 1990 Ranger that is in mint condition. What I have done is TRICK THAT BABY OUT!! Hotfoot, power steering, Hambie, MinnKota Maxum Pro 80 pound thrust TM, stripper pole, Lowrance HDS Touch units...you get the idea. The only thing I'm missing is Power Poles, but if installed them my boat wouldn't fit in my garage!! Instead of spending 40, 50, $60k on a new boat I've invested in making my perfectly paid for boat a fishing machine and I love it! Fish don't know how much that boat is worth...

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 12:06 AM

I cant understand why guys believe they need the 21ft boats. They are nice but not a necessity. I have a ZX190 that gets the job done and looks just like the big ones and didn't pay anywhere near 40k. I will admit that I still bought a little more of what I wanted versus what I needed and it took me 2 years and my wife saying now or never to pull the trigger on getting it. It is possible to get a nice rig well under 40k if you buy with your head and not your ego.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
I cant understand why guys believe they need the 21ft boats. They are nice but not a necessity. I have a ZX190 that gets the job done and looks just like the big ones and didn't pay anywhere near 40k. I will admit that I still bought a little more of what I wanted versus what I needed and it took me 2 years and my wife saying now or never to pull the trigger on getting it. It is possible to get a nice rig well under 40k if you buy with your head and not your ego.
OK??? Now it's because of ego? Wow
Posted By: Klinger N Ok

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 12:26 AM

No way I can spend $40k+ on a boat, BUT if I was in a higher tax bracket I would in a heartbeat to get exactly what I wanted. My market is cut off around the $30K range, but I'm not going to dog someone who can afford more (or less for that matter). It all depends on an individuals financial situation and love of the sport.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 01:02 AM

This
Posted By: 200Hawk21

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 01:21 AM

I buy 10 to 12 year old boats in good condition for cash and keep them for two years and sell them for what I paid for them. Only way to go.
Posted By: snmcc

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 01:46 AM

I am just not comfortable with spending that kind of of cash on a hobby I suck so badly at!! I am really glad folks do spend that money or I there would not be a solid used market of boat for me to shop for.
Posted By: steelers

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 02:57 AM

Bought a 95 skeeter 200 ZX in 2003. Only thing I would like to do is upgrade the motor but if I do that a newer skeeter might be right choice. I stay away from looking at the new boats because they are very nice. As long as the main engine starts, the trolling motor works and it floats I'm good.
Posted By: TxAdam

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 04:07 AM

What an odd topic/conversation. Don't want to pay (or can't afford) a $40k boat? Don't buy one. That's the glory of a free market economy. If the market dictates that bass boats cannot be sold for over $40k, then the prices will decrease. Fast. Until then, they'll continue to price themselves at the level this market can bear to support.

Guess it's a good thing I'm not on the San Antonio Homeowners Homepage website...drive by million dollar homes everyday on my way to my little bungalow and would have to post, "Does anyone refuse to spend more than $1,000,000 for a place to poop, eat and sleep every night?" Oh wait, if I could afford one of those homes, I would be calling the movers tomorrow...

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 04:46 AM

Not to derail your analogy but a house, even a million dollar one will most likely accrue equity a boat will decrease in value.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 04:46 AM

If you cant afford that much for a boat and buy one anyway what else would it be.

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 04:54 AM

One day I will buy a fully loaded, brand new and shinny rig, until then I will fish off the one I have now ...

Posted By: Brad Dunn

Re: Does anyone refuse to spend more than $40,000 for a boat - 02/23/15 04:56 AM

One day I will buy a fully loaded, brand new and shinny rig, until then I will fish off the one I have now ...

Hope that's a Yetti
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum