Texas Fishing Forum

Is this wierd?

Posted By: Fishinkev

Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 08:36 PM

I would rather throw and have more confidence in a sweet beaver alone then a jig. I used all winter to try and gain confidence in the jig and I've caught a few jig fish. But I still catch more on a beaver or craw bait. Am I the only one who just can't get confidence the jig?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 08:38 PM

I have a whole arsenal of brand new jigs that I haven't used in many years after I found the Sweet beaver!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 08:44 PM

Maybe it's the areas you're fishing? Perhaps the sweet beaver comes through your preferred cover better, so you fish it better and get more bites? I have more confidence in a jig than any other bait. But I don't throw it in all situations. Sometime the narrower profile of a beaver type bait is better for pitching, fishing grass, etc.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 08:46 PM

seen it both ways.... I have put the whoop'n on a couple buddies on days when they just wanted the jig, catch 3-1 over a t-rig, and then days where I couldn't buy a bite on a jig and get hammered by somebody just dragging a trig.

I have both tied on 90% of the time

I will say I fish the jig because I feel the average size I catch is typically better
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 09:01 PM

Kevin just go to benbrook in a few weeks and throw that jig I PROMISE you will gain confidence in it. I know what you like to throw out there but one day just throw the Jig instead of the wand.

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 09:08 PM

Lol, pete! I actually throw the beaver out there alot too! But that fairy wand is magical!

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 09:13 PM

A Sweet Beaver will ruin a good man!
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
so will the right jig

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/19/15 09:19 PM

The sweet beaver is the cheapest beaver in my life. Been using that beaver for 6 yrs and it still hasn't asked for a divorced.

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 02:00 AM

Lol
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger Holly
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
so will the right jig
Branden is right! I love throwing a jig and when you get on the big ones it will ruin you!
Posted By: DedShort

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 06:56 AM

I have always liked the beaver
Posted By: txfsh

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 10:33 AM

My tacklebox weighs 40 pounds heavier because of all the jigs in it. The reason I have so many jigs is because I keep buying them and never use them. I just have no confidence in them.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 01:34 PM

I have a lot of confidence in a jig but sometimes they just will not hit it. That is when I go to a craw tube or beaver bait.
Posted By: PrestonW

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 01:48 PM

Sometimes when I want to build confidence in a certain lure I only bring tackle for that technique and throw it all day.
Posted By: FlippinMad

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 01:56 PM

I have tried and tried to gain confidence in a jig but just can't seem to get on a good jig bite. I have guide fished with it and fish with numerous friends that primarily fish a jig, but still minor results for me. Must not be holding my mouth right!! I will stick to shaky head and Tx rig I guess.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FlippinMad
I have tried and tried to gain confidence in a jig but just can't seem to get on a good jig bite. I have guide fished with it and fish with numerous friends that primarily fish a jig, but still minor results for me. Must not be holding my mouth right!! I will stick to shaky head and Tx rig I guess.

Get a black/blue jig and trailer or one with a green pumpkin color skirt and matching trailer and pitch it to stumps along the edge of a creek channel. Concentrate on the bends in the creek and on the biggest timber in the area. Pitch it beyond the stump and shake and crawl that jig through the roots of the stump. You will get bit.

The four color jigs I use most are black/blue, a blend of green pumpkin, Peanut butter n jelly, and a custom color I make.
On the green pumpkin color I use ones that have accent colors of either purple or orange in the skirt.

Re: Is this wierd? - 02/20/15 04:12 PM

[Linked Image]

Take a skirt like this (except I like black and blue), remove about 1/2 to 3/4 of the strands (I only like to have about 15 to 20 strands, too many creates drag on top of the water when skimming across), slip on your line between your texas rigged Sweet beaver and A Tungsten weight....don't peg the weight (the weight and this type of skirt with a ceramic grommet will clack against the tungsten, flip under dock...hold on!

Disclaimer...this will not work if you can't flip a dock correctly. getting your Beaver only 1/4 to 1/2 way under a dock is not the proper way. You must reach the far dark corners of the dock....all the way under the dock. If you can't do this PRACTICE!

A dock that has only 6" or less of a gap to flip your bait under holds more fish than a dock with a foot or more. When I say getting a bait "all the way under a dock" I mean having the ability to scoot that bait 5 / 10 even 15 yards under the dock with 6" clearance or less.

I have developed my own way of accomplishing this. It's a hybrid of your typical flip and an under arm sweep at the same time. I put enough momentum in my under arm sweep to put a good sized dent in a pontoon if I miss....dock owners love me! A Beaver can actually skim or ski across the top of the water with lots of momentum. A jig will a lot of times dig in and fall short. Do I ever miss?, get horendous backlashes?....Hell yeah I do but that's part of it. 20# mono is important, leave all that braid and fluoro junk on the bank! Braid is not your friend when it comes to backlashes.

Become a master at removing backlashes...this is not my video, just one I found on you tube

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum