Texas Fishing Forum

Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making

Posted By: Mark Perry

Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 07:02 PM

Spent a few hours each of the last few days messing with some tackle building materials. Had a bunch of crankbait blanks I have had for a couple of years I needed to paint. Had not fired up airbrush in over a year so I kept it simple. Used a pearl white lightly then masked each eyes with a light coat of black pearl. Simple but I love this pattern.

Built up a dozen or so flipping jigs in a color I started tying last year. Catches fish everywhere. Had not powder painted anything in months as well so it was nice to get back in the flow.

Last but not least I hand injected up a mess of craws for Texas rigs and jig trailers. Its a new mold that seems to really catch fish. Also poured a few swimbaits mostly to use as bladed jig trailers. Made the 5" for the 3/4, 1oz, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2oz bladed jigs. One is abasic shad pattern and the other is my version of sun perch that matches the old Phenix bait color. Also did a few in the new 5" belly weighted swimbait mold.

Gonna test them all out tomorrow with a couple of buddies.

Also gotta give a big thanks to Bryan for offering up a corner of his shop. Also for the great chili his wife made. Fun day hanging out at his place. Good people and a great friend. He is on here but does not post much.

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 07:07 PM

Good looking baits. Is that jig skirt black/brown/green pumpkin?

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Good looking baits. Is that jig skirt black/brown/green pumpkin?

Black with blue flake and dark green pumpkin with blue flake.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 07:11 PM

Nice :cheers Looks like rage craw. Do they stand up like Xcite? Cranks look good too. I like baits like I like clothes, plain, not real gaudy.
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 07:12 PM

They all look good but I really like those swimbaits!

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt1212
Nice :cheers Looks like rage craw. Do they stand up like Xcite? Cranks look good too. I like baits like I like clothes, plain, not real gaudy.

They float up but do not compare to Lloyd ' s baits at all. His stuff is top quality. Makes mine look like [censored].

It's a 706 Craw mold.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 08:06 PM

Like the craws, do you incorporate scent as well?
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 08:11 PM

Any be up for sale?
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 08:26 PM

Where do you get the eyes for the swimbaits. On some of mine the eyes have come off so looking to replace them.
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 08:30 PM

Mark, are we able to purchase some of those swim baits from you?

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: angler15

Angler's Pro has them now. Will be in a couple of other places soon. The above is more of my personal stash. Made some for a buddy I am fishing with tommorrow. We swap baits as he makes some unique and good baits.

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 08:54 PM

Lurepartsonline.com and TW has a ton of eyes.
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 09:27 PM

[quote][/quote]Poster: Mark Perry
Subject: Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making

Originally Posted By: angler15

Angler's Pro has them now. Will be in a couple of other places soon. The above is more of my personal stash. Made some for a buddy I am fishing with tommorrow. We swap baits as he makes some unique and good baits.

Sorry to bug you Mark, but went to Anglers web page and couldn't find these. Are you able to possibly provide a link to where they are located and can be purchased on their site?
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 09:40 PM

Anglers web site probably wont show them. They usually have these custom made baits sitting up by the register so you pretty much have to go up there or call to see if they still have any. I always see baits in boxes at the register that someone has made.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/19/15 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Also gotta give a big thanks to Bryan for offering up a corner of his shop. Also for the great chili his wife made. Fun day hanging out at his place. Good people and a great friend. He is on here but does not post much.

I've heard of him... Bad bad news, but the chili was pretty damn good. banana
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 08:01 AM

Looks good as always Mark....
Posted By: DevinJoe

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 09:00 AM

Where can one get some of those craws mark. And also interested in seeing the ones you said made yours look bad
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 01:28 PM

looks good mark, Ive started making my own jigs here lately. I also like those swimbaits, they look killer, hope they all catch some gooduns.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 01:34 PM

Looks great mark, what crankbait is at the bottom of the first picture?

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Looks great mark, what crankbait is at the bottom of the first picture?
I

It's a flat coffin bill medium diver blank I bought a few years back.
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 04:28 PM

Hi Mark.. I have a couple of your swimbaits, bought them at the fun'n'sun show. What is your favorite way to rig them? and what kind of hooks would you recommend?

thanks in adv.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Spent a few hours each of the last few days messing with some tackle building materials. Had a bunch of crankbait blanks I have had for a couple of years I needed to paint. Had not fired up airbrush in over a year so I kept it simple. Used a pearl white lightly then masked each eyes with a light coat of black pearl. Simple but I love this pattern.

Built up a dozen or so flipping jigs in a color I started tying last year. Catches fish everywhere. Had not powder painted anything in months as well so it was nice to get back in the flow.

Last but not least I hand injected up a mess of craws for Texas rigs and jig trailers. Its a new mold that seems to really catch fish. Also poured a few swimbaits mostly to use as bladed jig trailers. Made the 5" for the 3/4, 1oz, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2oz bladed jigs. One is abasic shad pattern and the other is my version of sun perch that matches the old Phenix bait color. Also did a few in the new 5" belly weighted swimbait mold.

Gonna test them all out tomorrow with a couple of buddies.

That sun perch was and still is a great color... They one time I was out there at the LFT shops years ago, they had plenty of the old Phoenix swim jigs and that was the first bait Mark Pack picked up... Great color for spring for sure.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 07:11 PM

Really good work Mark!
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 11:00 PM

Thanks for getting me motivated today mark, I have been lazy and unproductive lately. I came up with these copper bone bait today looks kinda fishy to me.

Posted By: Slade

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/20/15 11:47 PM

You guys have done some amazing work. I'm going to consider building a little shop and start messing with some of this stuff one of these days.

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/21/15 02:21 AM

VERY nice Brad.Love that color.

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/21/15 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: dandeeks
Hi Mark.. I have a couple of your swimbaits, bought them at the fun'n'sun show. What is your favorite way to rig them? and what kind of hooks would you recommend?

thanks in adv.

On the line thrus I like a decent sized Owner ST36 treble. Size is up to you and the place you are fishing cover wise. If I use a belly weighted hook I like a Owner Beast weighted hook in 6/0-8/0 on the 5" versions. I use a 1/4oz weight if fishing 10' or under and a 3/8 if deeper. On the 4" I like a 3/0 Owner Flashy Swimmer hook. I also throw the 4" on Picasso 1/4 swimming jigheads and the 5" on large Revenge jigheads with weight based on howdeep I want to fish. I think they go up to 1 1/2oz on those.

Thanks and enjoy the baits.
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Did some jig, swimbait and crankbait making - 02/21/15 03:10 AM

thanks for the info
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum