Texas Fishing Forum

What trolling motor?

Posted By: WCGunns

What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 07:13 PM

What trolling motor would you all recommend for a Champion 186?
Posted By: Slade

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 07:20 PM

I just put a new MG - 24 V, 82# thrust on my Triton 186.

Pluses, its very powerful, and I really like the strength of it.

The negatives, learning to deploy it and having to apply pressure with your foot is a pain in the butt.
It sounds like a tank when on anything over about 5 on the speed control, which goes from 1-10.
The arrow will not stay straight, I have had it a week and have had to reset the directional arrow 3 or 4 times and it's off again.

I went with a MG because they have a little more thrust than a 24V MK, and I had a MG on the boat, so I was hoping that I could install this one without drilling holes in the boat.

In the end, I had to drill a few holes, and if I had a do over, I may have went with a MK. But I have been impressed with the power of the new unit for sure.
Posted By: CLedbetter

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 07:24 PM

I recently upgraded to the MK 24V on my old 18ft Winner boat. It has plenty of power and seems to be pretty quiet. My only complaint is with the foot pedal of the newer MK's. The button is in a tough location to press with your foot. I will be hummin along and realize my foot has come of the button. I have no idea if the Motor Guide's have the same issue but might be worth checking out in the store to see if one is easier to operate than the other.
Posted By: Slade

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 07:50 PM

Good point about the foot pedal, that was another reason I didn't change brands, but I don't think that in and of itself is reason enough to choose one over the other

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 07:59 PM

No, just something to consider that I didn't even look at before sticking with MK.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 08:16 PM

Biggest you can afford.

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 08:52 PM

I'm wanting to stay with a 24V
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 09:11 PM

Let me guess - you have a 65lb thrust?

You will be happy with a 24V 82# thrust for that size boat.

Not much more you can do unless you go to a 36V.

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 09:16 PM

I don't even think it's a 65lb but it is a 24V and I really don't have room for another battery. It is the original trolling motor to the boat 1996
Posted By: JSS84

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 09:19 PM

Not to get to far off topic. But on that MK you can pop the foot switch off and adjust it. So that it's more sensitive and clicks easier. Didn't know till someone told me myself.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 09:20 PM

get a 82lb MK. Alot less likely to bend a shaft.

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: JSS84
Not to get to far off topic. But on that MK you can pop the foot switch off and adjust it. So that it's more sensitive and clicks easier. Didn't know till someone told me myself.

Really!?! That is awesome, I will be looking into that after work tonight. I think part of my problem is that its too difficult to click down and my foot doesn't keep enough pressure down on it.

Any instructions somewhere for this?
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 10:27 PM

I had a Minn Kota 36v 101 with 52" shaft on my 1995 champion 186.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 10:44 PM

An 80 lb thrust MinnKota Maxxum or Fortrex with the 52" shaft is still 24v and head and shoulders better than a comparable MotorGuide. I don't know if the Fortrex is worth an extra couple hundred bucks over the Maxxum, but I know the Maxxum is very tough and will chop through vegetation that would stall a comparable MotorGuide. The lift assist on the MinnKota's is a very nice feature too.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/18/15 10:45 PM

Minn Kota Terrova w/ I-Pilot 24v 80# long shaft
one GREAT trolling motor.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/19/15 02:24 AM

I have a 24 v. terrova on an aluminum boat, and a 24 v 80 ibs fortrex on my 186 champion. In my opinion the mount on the fortrex is garbage, the bushings are always popping out, creating play in the mount, which starts to ruin other parts.

Get a 24v 80ibs maxxum if you want a cable steer.

However, I think in the VERY near future there will be ipilot capabilities on a cable steer, which would be AWESOME. Awesome enough, that I'd wait to see if it happens, and buy one.

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/19/15 02:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions
Posted By: catslayer

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/19/15 03:16 PM

Minn Kota is my favorite, and whatever size u think you need... then go up one size
Posted By: Fishin24-7

Re: What trolling motor? - 02/19/15 03:23 PM

I have owned both and I will never own another MG. I prefer the MK Fortrex over the Maxxum, the housing is stronger and it is easier to lift in my opinion. Both are much quiter than the MG and I was constantly bending the shaft on the MG, not a concern on the MK. The 24v 82# MK Fortrex would be my choice.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum