Texas Fishing Forum

Do Bass On Amistad Really Live on Sheer Bluff Walls?

Posted By: fouzman

Do Bass On Amistad Really Live on Sheer Bluff Walls? - 02/18/15 04:37 PM

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=6143#.VOS-mObF-Sp

100 feet deep or more. According to Donald Harper, that's where many of Amistad's fish stay until they move up. Judging by this report, I'd say there is defintiely some truth to that idea.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Do Bass On Amistad Really Live on Sheer Bluff Walls? - 02/18/15 04:49 PM

Yes, fish get out there deep. Then move up to edges to feed in trees and grass (my best areas were 25-28'). Been my experience even back in the prime time of Amistad.

I only fished shallow one year down there and it was 15'.

Screen goes black (over those deep depths) with fish when you get in the right spot.

I never was very good at catching those deep fish, they had to move up to ledge to bite. Always wanted to perfect that deep water fishing 100' stuff, but never did. Never had enough time to experiment like I needed too.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Do Bass On Amistad Really Live on Sheer Bluff Walls? - 02/18/15 05:03 PM

Many fisherman try looking for them where the bluff walls are above the water. I have located them there very few times. When you do you are protected by the wind there which will aid in staying vertical over the school. Being able to do this is the key in catching.

Moving out of the canyon to open water is the ticket. All the elements have to be right to allow this and that just does not happen very often. The lake has to be slick to fish at those depths. They will be right against the wall, so your bait has to be vertical against the wall. It is just like Crappie fishing, straight down with no movement what so ever and it will just load up. The two rigs that will get the job done is:
- 1 oz. bullet T-Rig Brush Hog with the weight pegged.
- 1 oz. bullet C-Cig Brush Hog weight pegged and very short, no more than 10".
- Both baits in Green Pumpkin.

Another problem is timing it right to win a tournament with those fish because they are going to die. This is why I have only fished for them on a few occasions with special people and never in a tournament. You don't even have time hardly to make a picture of the fish before the release; so she can get back down to relieve the pressure. I have seen a eye ball actually pop out when brought to the surface to quickly.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Do Bass On Amistad Really Live on Sheer Bluff Walls? - 02/18/15 06:35 PM

I would have to say Yes
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: Do Bass On Amistad Really Live on Sheer Bluff Walls? - 02/18/15 06:39 PM

I bought a boat from a guy that lives on Amistad. He fishes the lake about 200+days a year and is a really good stick. He rarely, and I mean rarely sits in less than 35 ft of water. Some of his biggest fish, ones that are over 10 lbs, have come in 50+ft of water. He fishes big swim baits on those bluff walls. He finds a bluff wall that sits in 30-40 ft of water and uses that swim bait to pull those fish out of the depths. I've seen him use an a-rig in 60-80ft of water and catch fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum