Texas Fishing Forum

Zoom Brush Hog

Posted By: Trey Finn

Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:20 AM

Any tips on the best way to rig a Zoom Brush Hog? I always use a Carolina Rig, just wanted to see if anything worked better. Thanks!
Posted By: brush pile 1023

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:23 AM

I Texas rig them
Posted By: Puma 54

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:31 AM

T rig, c rig or even on a shakey head
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:32 AM

I use full size brush hogs for flipping/pitching timber, baby brush hogs for carolina rig
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:32 AM

can use it as a trailer on a jig too
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:36 AM

Any method. But, make sure it's rigged properly. You want the appendages to "flare out". Run one over your finger one way, then the other. You'll see what I'm saying. If you didn't already know this... cheers
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 01:32 PM

I've never used the full size brush hog and I've never rigged it any other way that Texas. It just produces. Brush piles, grass, rock, lay downs, timber, doesn't matter.

Shaky head is something I'm going to try, though.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DKennimer
Any method. But, make sure it's rigged properly. You want the appendages to "flare out". Run one over your finger one way, then the other. You'll see what I'm saying. If you didn't already know this... cheers
huh

Is there a way to rig it where they don't? I don't understand. Not being a smart [censored] either. Am I missing some obvious trick? Is this why I have very little luck with a brush hog?
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 01:48 PM

I fish the heck out of the brush hog, but don't know about the "flare out" can you expand on that Derrick?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 02:08 PM

Take a good look at the bait and the little "flaps" appendages on the side of the bait aren't molded on symmetrical. Hold the bait out with the "flaps" to the side and see if they are hanging down close to the body. Then turn the bait over and see if now they hang "out" away from the body. It is easier to see this on the full size brush hog. Insert the hook into the bait so the "flaps" flare out away from the body. This will give the bait more action in the water.

I mostly use the baby brush hog and have them in almost every color.

C-rig, Tx. rig, shakey head, split shot. I haven't used them as a jig trailer. I like the speed vibe craw better than the baby brush hog as a jig trailer.

I like the super hog for pitching. It is a great bait also. I haven't tried it on a C-rig....that's a thought.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 02:20 PM

Has anyone cut or had one of the "arms" broken by a fish? I've not experimented with it, but was wondering if it would a little more or a different action if you cut it and now had four arms instead of two.

I am talking about the loops towards the head of the bait.

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 02:42 PM

A buddy of mine always detaches the back part of the loop from the body but has never tested it to see if it makes any difference or not.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Has anyone cut or had one of the "arms" broken by a fish? I've not experimented with it, but was wondering if it would a little more or a different action if you cut it and now had four arms instead of two.

I am talking about the loops towards the head of the bait.

I use Rage Hawg from SK when I want more action because the upper arms are actually made to detach. The upper arms on the brush hog appear to be made to stay in place. Honestly if one of them breaks on a fish catch, I chunk it and change out. JMHO
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 02:47 PM

This is my go-to flipping bait. I use the big ones and I rip the curly tails off and dip the legs in dip n glo. I use the smaller brush hogs for my C-rig

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bissett
This is my go-to flipping bait. I use the big ones and I rip the curly tails off and dip the legs in dip n glo. I use the smaller brush hogs for my C-rig

Does that work better than flipping the Super hog?
Posted By: Transplant from WV

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 02:58 PM

I also use the baby brush hog as a jig trailer, just pinch the top off.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:04 PM

We always detach the two loops on both sides of the bait. I detach mine on the bottom side. My partner detaches them at the top. We uses brush hogs by the 100's in Mexico and that extra action does make a difference.

On cloudy or overcast days we tip only the last 1/2 inch of the tails Chart. and that also makes a great difference in our catch ratio.

Pegging the weight in heavy bushes takes the bait to the bottom of the bush. Otherwise it will hang on a limb and only the wait will fall to the bottom. We pitch the bait in the bush on slack line. This is done by stripping two short pulls of line off your reel. Then engage the reel, quickly take up the slack and feel for the weight of the fish. This assures that the bait falls straight down with no resistance. The bass will just pick it up and sit there not going anywhere with it. We never feel for the bite; that seems to cut our catching in half or worst. Feeling for the weight of the fish feels just like a limb holding the bait. Then we set the hook.

On cloudy days we have found that they move with the bait but it is usually out of the bush; which is a good thing when pitching and fishing on a slack line.
Posted By: Mulkey

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:14 PM

I've been working on the skipping cast and so far, I'm having better luck with the brush hog, then any other bait. FYI

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:44 PM

On a sunny day, do you dip the tail?

Does it make any difference if you detach the loop at the top or bottom? Is one way better than the other?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:56 PM

My partner always tips the tails. I do not on sunny days and I catch just as many even in the back of the boat. Pulling the loops loose on one end or the other doesn't seem to make any difference as long as it is done.

Many times I have noticed that I am not getting bit to find that I forget to detach the loops. Another thing is the tails. We have used every bait made and many hand poured versions of the brush hog in Mexico. None will even come close to producing like it does.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 03:58 PM

During Falcon's heyday a few years ago my "go to bait" was a really full 1oz football jig with a full size Brush Hog as a trailer. For some reason the bigger the better during this period on Falcon. It looked kind of ridicules...but worked.

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 04:23 PM

And if you like the brush hog, check out A&M baits out of Eufaula OK. They lost longer than Zoom and have great action to them. Definitely worth a look

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Originally Posted By: Bissett

Does that work better than flipping the Super hog?

I beleive so but it's just a confidence thing for me. I call brush hogs my money bait
Posted By: natebzy

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 04:32 PM

I like the kvd strike king version of the brush hog ..they have an octagon shape instead of being rounded smoothly.
Posted By: J.Chambers

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 06:55 PM

My go to bait. Texas rig or crig
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 07:36 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that's Zooms # 1 selling plastic......
Posted By: DedShort

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 07:40 PM

the BBH is absolutely my first bait of choice on a T rig and a C rig. I have a favorite color or 2, but sometimes i have to change it up to get bit. I use a pretty light weight on my T rig, (either 1/16 or 1/32) depending on wind. I think a lot of times slowing down the fall is the key. I am a fan of the speed cray too, it is probably my second favorite soft plastic.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/18/15 07:48 PM

My go to bait, green pumpkin blue

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/19/15 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
huh

Is there a way to rig it where they don't? I don't understand. Not being a smart [censored] either. Am I missing some obvious trick? Is this why I have very little luck with a brush hog?

Yes, you're missing out. Get one and run it over your finger as if it were an underwater rock, limb. The appendages (pinchers) will flare rigged properly.

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/19/15 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk

I fish the heck out of the brush hog, but don't know about the "flare out" can you expand on that Derrick?

Hey bud! Just get one out and run it over your finger one way, then upside down the other way. You'll quickly see what I'm saying. It makes a big difference when dragging over roots, limbs and rocks. More of a "defensive" pose.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/19/15 10:43 AM

I T-rig Baby Brush Hogs.

I got some Tiny Brush Hogs that I'm going to use for dropshotting.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/19/15 01:47 PM

Ok I get it now, MV sent me a pm and had me look up Supermatt from tactical bassin, here it is

http://www.tacticalbassin.com/blog/night-fishing-basics-101-slow-moving-baits?rq=brush%20hog
Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: Zoom Brush Hog - 02/19/15 02:38 PM

Thanks for the video lip jerk. I couldn't tell what dkennimer was talking about ( good tip by the way) I got a buddy who fishes that bait all the time. I don't think he knows about it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum